PDA

View Full Version : assign a null to each parts of shattered model

alenskas
10-23-2013, 05:40 AM
hi guys

i have a model which i have shaterred and run hard body dynamics on.
i would love to know how i can quickly assign a null to each seprate part of the geo.
the reason is i want to export these nulls to after effects and use to drive particular particles ie. trailing smoke.

please help me out ?

thanks
jono

Skonk
10-23-2013, 05:50 AM
I really have no idea but I would assume it would first require baking of the simulation, and then perhaps nulls could be assigned via motion nodes (parts or via point indexes or something)?

alenskas
10-23-2013, 05:46 PM
im also trying to emit particles in lightwave from the geometry which breaks.
the object emits particles until the break happens then it stops emitting.
i can only assume that the objects name changes wiht the broken peices and so the particles emitter does not read them ?

how can i do this ?? its an explosion with flyng debris and a trail of smoke. and i need to do it without turbulence 4d.
anyone????

jeric_synergy
10-23-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't know, but it's a heck of a good idea.

Can't remember how Shatter works offhand, but IIRC it's still one LWO, just in DPKit-style 'parts'. Also IIRC, Denis recently (hattip to The Master! :bowdown: ) added a "Total" output to PartInfo so that users can see how many parts DPKit PartInfo is detecting in a given LWO. This can be used directly in the nodal network (say, as a divisor) or just referenced via InputSpy (should be "OUTPUTspy") to, say, generate an appropriate number of nulls. If the null index is properly corresponded to the PartIndex, the effect you desire should be possible. So, if you generate a null, apply your network, and then CLONE the null the same numbers as the parts in question, it should work. Maybe.

bobakabob
10-27-2013, 05:08 AM
Alenskas, I've run up against a similar problem. I added some seperate objects inside the object applied bullet then parented emitters to them and used Hypervoxel sprites for the dust cloud. Not ideal but the results look ok.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?89845-Asteroid-Girl&p=1350267&viewfull=1#post1350267

Haven't tried it yet but... but the inner surface of your fractured object can be given an individual name. Could this surface be used to emit particles? Or could Parts be created from the inner surface which in turn could be turned into seperate objects?

Just speculating now but let us know if you've found a solution :)

LW_Will
10-28-2013, 03:03 AM
There is the old "use one model for the emitted particles, THEN switch for the one that breaks" trick.

Always worked for me.

BeeVee
10-28-2013, 10:28 AM
You can always assign SoftFX to the object as well and then use it with no Operators (Operator 1 Map set to <none>). Once calculated you can use the EditFX tab's Makepath tool to create a baked null that follows the motion of the specific node through the animation.

B

jeric_synergy
10-28-2013, 10:51 AM
BeeVee, that's a viable path, but would become onerous for more than a dozen fragments.

An intriguing use of OPERATOR: NONE though.

{/understatement}

dwburman
10-28-2013, 11:36 AM
I was thinking the same as BeeVee. Also baking to mdd (which is what you'd be doing with softFX if you save after calculating) might take care of the emitter stopping at the break because you could then remove the dynamics. I don't remember/know how well emitting from an mdd-deformed object works, though.

BeeVee
10-28-2013, 12:17 PM
I agree that it's awkward, but with a bit of prep it becomes less so. If you give each of your fragments a unique surface name then you can at least pick them in VPR to find the points you want. But it is a pain if your client decides that they don't want point A emitting particles but point B, since you basically have to start from scratch.

Don't worry though, the devs know. It will be solved.

B