PDA

View Full Version : Tongue rigging Morph or Joints ?

Tranimatronic
10-21-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm about to attempt a tongue rig for the first time.
Morph or joints ?
Which way would you go ?
Thanks for any pointers or time savers

T

3DGFXStudios
10-21-2013, 04:18 AM
It depends on your character. If it's got a big tonque I would rig it with joints/bones.

RebelHill
10-21-2013, 05:10 AM
Primarily joints... but both if you're wanting something that can be more "active".

Surrealist.
10-22-2013, 06:20 AM
What animation are you planning to do with the tongue?

Tranimatronic
10-22-2013, 11:46 AM
showing my complete laziness here.... I intend to do the bare minimum to 'sell' the shots I'm capturing with Nevron.
I started playing with morphs only, but to be honest I have never paid a lot of attention to tongues, and as such so far it looks like crap.
For the basic lipsync I THOUGHT all I need are rest, pushed forward, touching roof of mouth behind teeth, touching upper teeth. But looking at it it seems to do a lot of hovering level with the lower teeth.
ALSO the back of the tongue doesn't seem to look good just rotating with the jaw (I'm going to have to look it up, but thinking about it, the tongue is not really attached to the jaw is it?), so I'm beginning to think joints might be better.
It seems an under talked about subject (for me anyway). I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

T

RebelHill
10-22-2013, 11:55 AM
the tongue is not really attached to the jaw is it?

Yes it is. Its primary movement should be with the jaw, and action on top of that.

Tranimatronic
10-22-2013, 12:04 PM
oh ok. I was thinking it was just kind of draped over the jaw. Havent had time to look it up.
Thanks!

Tranimatronic
10-22-2013, 12:11 PM
oh. Weird. It seems I have had a tongue for all of these years, and never really known (or cared about) its exact shape.
I suppose I should have researched it first instead of just guessing.
The one I modeled looks nothing like this:
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/524829

Cheers

T

Ryan Roye
10-22-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm about to attempt a tongue rig for the first time.
Morph or joints ?
Which way would you go ?
Thanks for any pointers or time savers

T

My solution is a cyclist-driven bone chain tied to a character's facial control scheme (not the morphs, but positions of the controls themselves since these tools can't be applied to morphs). By using MF motion baker, one can simply bake and uncheck the cyclist controls to get manual control as needed. The idea is to be able to simply focus on the character's general mouth movements rather than mouth *and* tongue. I like to leave the more sophisticated control schemes and manual controlling for shots that demand more detail.