PDA

View Full Version : Usb

random_human_02
11-14-2003, 04:12 PM
This is going to sound stupid, but here goes..

What is the proper method for insertion of the USB dongle on a windows machine?

Does the system need to be turned off, then the USB connected?

I had to send in my dongle to newtek because we believe it was faulty. (I get it back tonight, so I will find out for sure)

Now, my guess is, that there is information stored within the dongle it's self. Like any electronic device, if givien enough of a power surge, that information can become corrupt. Am I correct for thinking this way.

I understand that the whole concept behind USB is to plug stuff in on the fly..as I do with my other digital toys (camera, tablet, etc) - Can the USB be used in the same fashion, or is it much more sensitive? I do not want to have to send the thing back in any time soon.

The bottom line is, how fragile is this dongle?

FenrirWolf
11-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Well, unless Sentinel's dongles are real cheapo -- and considering LW's costs, probably not :) -- then plugging it in while the system is on should be quite acceptable.

I believe the proper way to do it is to install the drivers, <b>then</b> insert the dongle. The manual should have details, I seem to recall it mentioning doing that.

mrunion
11-14-2003, 05:43 PM
Yup. USB is supposed to be hot-swappable.

Yup. Install USB device drivers FIRST, then insert the device.

Yup. Always read the manual.

random_human_02
11-14-2003, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys. I got the dongle...inserted it while the system was running.. all is good now.

I was just in fear.. I didn't want to be without lightwave for another week... saving 400 point models was getting a bit old.

Anyway.. all is good.. dongle is fixed, and I'm off to play.