PDA

View Full Version : 10/17 Lightwave 11.6 beta release: "Curve_to_Spline.py" --???

jeric_synergy
10-18-2013, 01:35 AM
from the change log:

Added "Curve_to_Spline.py" to Scripts/Python/Layout/Generic. This is a LightWave
Generic plug-in that finds the first curve-type polygon in a selected object and
generates a virtual spline in Layout.

So, what does that mean? What can you do with a 'virtual spline'? :stumped:

THANKS for the update, LW3DG! Hurrah!

RebelHill
10-18-2013, 05:12 AM
spline control.

Hail
10-18-2013, 10:53 AM
spline control.

So... does this imply that spline control can now work with splines generated in modeler?

jeric_synergy
10-18-2013, 11:46 AM
RH, is that a fact or speculation? 'Cuz that would be a markedly different workflow than Spline Control currently, wherein we can animate the components of the spline individually. TMK there's no infrastructure in Layout to manipulate splines per se.

Also: what's with the LACK of discussion on the forum on releases? It's weird.

RebelHill
10-18-2013, 11:52 AM
fact...

And all it basicaly is is a tool for getting a modeler spline to act as a "template" for making a set of nulls for use as a spline control hierarchy.

jeric_synergy
10-18-2013, 01:50 PM
So we'll be seeing some user infrastructure to access this feature? (The description seems rather bare-bones.)

Tranimatronic
10-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Also: what's with the LACK of discussion on the forum on releases? It's weird.
I had no idea there was an update. Did you get an email or something?

...there are some pretty cool features/updates in there. Can't wait to test them. Especially the Alembic stuff.

Ztreem
10-18-2013, 03:59 PM
What the script does is that it converts(setup) a modeler curve to a spline with handles at every knot on the curve in layout. So instead of placing nulls in layout to create a spline you can model a curve in modeler and then convert it instead. Good for hoses that are already modeled in curvey shapes. The script is located under utilities/additional.

jeric_synergy
10-18-2013, 06:18 PM
I usually get an email, but in general the LW3dG facebook page and/or LW pages are where I see it first. (Yeah, I know: weird.) But even days later nobody seems to be discussing it, and they've changed some pretty important things, in a Good Way.

Ztreem, thanks for that info. So, it automates the process, that's nice, very nice.

allabulle
10-21-2013, 08:42 AM

...there are some pretty cool features/updates in there. Can't wait to test them. Especially the Alembic stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't get an e-mail either. I found the new build by chance while I was looking for the license file to re-install LightWave. There's no official post on the forums either that I'm aware of. A bit strange, isn't it? Is the new build a leak from someone at the LW3DG? :-)

alexs3d
10-21-2013, 08:52 AM
i also did not get an email...also a really cool tut from lino about using spline control to animate a shark appeard shortly on youtube, and more is coming soon he said i think :) .. now it has been removed...

maybe somethng cool is going on :)

Areyos Alektor
10-22-2013, 04:00 PM
There was an e-mail the same day announcing the final versions in a few weeks.

jwiede
10-22-2013, 07:46 PM
There was an e-mail the same day announcing the final versions in a few weeks.

Didn't receive any such email here, nor any mentioning 10/17 beta release update.

jeric_synergy
10-22-2013, 08:08 PM
I got an email from [email protected] on 9/25.... but AFAICT that's the latest update communication I've received. I saw the latest notice on Facebook.