PDA

View Full Version : Bullet for a collapsed skeleton

starbase1
10-17-2013, 06:00 AM
Can anyone point me at a tutorial for getting started with the bullet physics?

What I have in mind is that I need to create a skeleton laying on the ground, and I have the skeleton mesh (upright). It occurs to me that by letting it drop to the ground using the bullet physics stuff, I could get a selection of good credible arrangements of the bones by dropping it at different angles.

Nick

Surrealist.
10-17-2013, 06:25 AM
You want it to remain connected? I don't know if Bullet has gotten hinge constraints yet. If not, how about trying IKB dynamics?

starbase1
10-17-2013, 06:53 AM
No, a pile of bones is fine, like the corpse fell a long time ago and the bones have settled.

Red_Oddity
10-17-2013, 07:12 AM
If the skeleton is an object on a single layer, just make the skeleton a Parts Body (rigidbody with type set to parts), maybe set collision shape to convex (for speed) and place a passive body floor object and run the simulation, tweak to your liking.

starbase1
10-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks Red, sounds like what I need.

I was thinking more about how to get started though, and the most introductory level never having used this stuff before...

Red_Oddity
10-17-2013, 09:18 AM
It's really simple setup wise (also very limited options wise unfortunately as it is a closed system).
I suggest downloading the LW 11.6 addendum PDF from your Lightwave3D account page, it contains a pretty straight forward getting started with Bullet.

starbase1
10-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Ah right, I'm on 11.5, and was not aware of that doc, sounds like exactly what I need.

Thanks!