PDA

View Full Version : SSS + Transparency

Chris Jones
10-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Is there any special formula for making part of a Simple Skin surface transparent? I've tried mixing materials but the whole object wants to remain opaque.

Failing that, using SSS 2 is there any way to control Distance, Backward Amount or any of the other parameters with a gradient? I just get a hard step no matter what.

Thanks,

(c:

tbagger
10-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Is there any special formula for making part of a Simple Skin surface transparent? I've tried mixing materials but the whole object wants to remain opaque.

Failing that, using SSS 2 is there any way to control Distance, Backward Amount or any of the other parameters with a gradient? I just get a hard step no matter what.

Thanks,

(c:

Hi Chirs, here is quick test I put together using material mixer, seems to be working as expected. Also, if you plan on animating this object make sure you use one of the SSS nodes that does not use a preprocess, but uses samples instead.

Chris Jones
10-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks tbagger, that's what I'm after - except that it transitions through black... know of any way around that?

tbagger
10-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Thanks tbagger, that's what I'm after - except that it transitions through black... know of any way around that?

Tuning on double sided makes it go away... if it doesn't mess up the rest of your surface.

Chris Jones
10-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Double sided doesn't make any difference here. Another LW version discrepancy?

Chris Jones
11-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Forgot to mention, double sided wouldn't work on your test scene for some reason, but it did elsewhere. Go figure!

Thanks again,

(c: