PDA

View Full Version : no VPR

barbieboy
10-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Can someone help me turn on the VPR pls, its there according to tutorials and the manual :(

LW10.0

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/BarbieMarcus_bucket/Lightwave/NoPRV_zpsc338185b.jpg (http://s159.photobucket.com/user/BarbieMarcus_bucket/media/Lightwave/NoPRV_zpsc338185b.jpg.html)

RebelHill
10-16-2013, 05:24 AM
click on the shading dropdown

barbieboy
10-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Thanx, why doesn't the manual say that !

RebelHill
10-16-2013, 06:10 AM
It does... On the very page in your image no less.

"VPR is activated in the Viewport Options menu by selecting VPR."

prometheus
10-18-2013, 09:41 AM
A typical example on how a new feature becomes hidden in a non necessary way and making it harder for newbies.
I think the lw team should have been smarter about it when introducing it and make it visible directly as a panel button, we do have the preference settings as an icon, so why the heck not a vpr activate button next to it?
or put a vpr render button in the render panel.

It may be logical placing it as it is now, in terms on where to put things according to some sort of classification, but it isnīt UI friendly.
Hope to see that introduced in the UI soon.
My suggestion would also mean a faster way to acess vpr, hardly a second of difference in time spent, but it will anyway be faster and thus a general impression of working with VPR and lightwave would simply be smoother.

Michael

jeric_synergy
10-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I'd disagree here, EXCEPT that since VPR is only available in one vuport at a time, and that makes it different from the other display modes. So, it does make sense to implement it as a button.

Once VPR is available in all vuports simultaneously, then inclusion in the display mode dropdown makes better sense. MENUS ARE SLOW, so switching VPR around to all the various vuports is a big PITA.

We still can't hotkey it, right?

prometheus
10-19-2013, 03:00 PM
I'd disagree here, EXCEPT that since VPR is only available in one vuport at a time, and that makes it different from the other display modes. So, it does make sense to implement it as a button.

Once VPR is available in all vuports simultaneously, then inclusion in the display mode dropdown makes better sense. MENUS ARE SLOW, so switching VPR around to all the various vuports is a big PITA.

disagree with whom? and what? donīt follow you, implement it as a button in each viewport is what I said should be done.
Vpr available in all viewport simultaneously? we do not have that option. we can only have one viewport active with vpr at once, and having a button activating it or deactive depending on which
viewport button is clicked..that wouldnīt make any difference from the workflow of go to the drop down menu and select VPR..Except for using a button would be faster and directly acessable In your face so to speak.
Just place it next to the Vpr settings..theres a lot of room in that UI boarder.

Michael

prometheus
10-19-2013, 03:10 PM
workaround..
yes you can map it to a shortcut, edit shortcut menu "view port toggle vpr" or simply search vpr ..then map it to lets say something like "v"
1.now you need to click on the camera button(vpr activate icon next to vpr setting icon) to make that viewport active for vpr, the.
2.hit your selected shortcut "v"and it will start the vpr in that viewport.
Im not sure if they could get it to simply work with the activate vpr solely? or some reason why it should just be an activate viewport but not starting the vpr.

just found this out..and I already feel it to be faster workflow than go to the drop downlist and activate vpr, but if we could skip the shortcut button it would be even faster just clicking on the activate vpr viewport button.

Edited..you really donīt need to click the activate icon, just hover over the viewport you want and hit your shortcut and it will activate start that viewport with VPR

Michael

Snosrap
10-19-2013, 09:55 PM

I've mapped it to F8. :)

jeric_synergy
10-19-2013, 10:00 PM
..but if we could skip the shortcut button it would be even faster just clicking on the activate vpr viewport button.l
Hotkeys are faster than moving a mouse. 'Wayyyyy faster.

jwiede
10-20-2013, 05:03 AM

Ofc, shortcut keys are also much less discoverable. And as you note, with its singleton behavior VPR in "view mode" options menu doesn't really make much sense.

In the name of simple GUI, why not retask the existing VPR settings button as "toggle VPR on/off = click, settings = modifier-click (or maybe double-click)"? Spending the GUI pixels on an always-visible button just to pul up VPR settings when the VPR toggle itself is less discoverable / accessible, seems kind of bass-ackwards (IMO). I understand how that arrangement originally came to be (VPR settings had to be reachable with VPR off, so always-visible button added), but the whole thing still feels a bit convoluted. IMO, retasking the button as described yields more discoverable and accessible GUI for VPR overall.

(edit) Even if every viewport could do VPR simultaneously, having it as a viewport draw mode, but having the toggle for OGL overlay elsewhere is still a "break" in how viewport draw mode controls normally work. LW doesn't have a "texture" draw mode with a separate "draw wireframe" toggle, after all, which is semantically equivalent.

Similarly, in that model the VPR viewport settings really belong in the Viewport preferences panel, not a new panel. I understand the reasoning for VPRs settings being separate, but I argue that same reasoning makes it acceptable (better, actually) to also retask that "VPR button" as both VPR toggle and access to settings when needed, and move VPR off the viewport draw mode list. If we really want to get into the "fine behavior" in that scenario, changing draw mode while VPR is active should ideally switch viewport to draw mode selected AND also deactivate VPR.

prometheus
10-20-2013, 08:21 AM

think jwiede mentioned it quite good here.

and a hotkey alone canīt select which viewport you want to use, unless you just only are using a single viewport, so the need of moving the mouse is necessary anyway.
so maybe a simple change of the activate icon button that looks like a camera and make it a text button that says"VPR" that means instant recognition for everyone, and as in this
case study, the thread starter would have found it immediatly, this requires changing the function of it too..and make it start the vpr as well.

Iīm all for a second vpr button called "vpr panel" that would bring up a vpr previewer seperated from the viewports, allowing the viewports to be workable in full glory but having vpr in itīs own
custom panel with custom cam resolutions.

Hotkeys arenīt for newbies and oldies by the way, they wouldnīt know where to look ..and as time goes by in to age dementia, I will start to forget hotkeys...but at that time
I think I will call it a day.
Michael

jeric_synergy
10-20-2013, 11:16 AM
as is usual with vuport interactions, the combination of hotkey PLUS cursor placement would determine VPR enabling, exactly as it works for mono-vuport activation. (gahd I hope I'm not hallucinating here....soooo many softwaressss....)

One thing we all agree on, currently it's very awkward.

Areyos Alektor
10-21-2013, 05:48 PM
I quickly read messages so may be that I misunderstood : activation / deactivation of the "VPR" is done via "CTRL" + "F9".

prometheus
10-22-2013, 08:02 AM
I quickly read messages so may be that I misunderstood : activation / deactivation of the "VPR" is done via "CTRL" + "F9".

That is correct... it is on by default, I hate double button shortcuts though, so I remapped that to the closest letter close to the pronounce of vpr ..namely "v" that one is not assigned to anything by default, so it makes more
sense to think of "v" and vpr and a single click on it than having to drop the mouse and use both hands on the CTRL-F9

Areyos Alektor
10-22-2013, 02:49 PM
It's a logical choice :) But the default configuration defends himself. "F9" is often used to do test ;)