PDA

View Full Version : Modelling a Castle

aniboy2000
11-14-2003, 01:12 PM
Hello. I'm just starting out in Lightwave, and in 3d modeling in general.
I'm trying model a castle, but I'm having a very hard time with the Modeler.
How can I make the rounded bricks at the top of circular towers (through which arrows can be shot)? I've figured out how to do this in 3ds max (by taking a box, bending it, and then creating a 360-degree array of the bricks).
How would I go about making arched openings in walls for windows and doors?
How can I fasten all of the elements together to prevent them from moving?
How do I texture the castle properly (creating UVs and such)?

Are there any tutorials on this stuff?

Axis3d
11-14-2003, 04:48 PM
There is an awesome book called Lightwave 3d Applied (version 5.6). In it there is a whole tutorial that goes through every step of building a castle. Even if you are using the current version of Lightwave, almost all of the techniques and tutorials in the book are still relevant. I'm sure you can find it for pretty cheap now. I highly recommend it.

roguenroll
11-15-2003, 03:21 AM
radial array, or array (radial option), can't remember the differnce.

but basically the 0,0 point is where the array centers, unless you change the coords.

make a square, set it out from the 0,0 a little distance, the choose either radial array, pick how many instances then it will instance that number in a circular fashion around the 0,0 coords.

should be a good start.

aniboy2000
11-20-2003, 09:18 AM
How do you actually bend the bricks (cubes) to a shape that looks sort of like a slice of a 3d flat-surfaced ring?

3D|Dave
11-20-2003, 11:13 AM
Just make a disk and set the mesh to the number of bricks you want to have on the tower perimiter. Then you can bevel each polygon to bring them out.