PDA

View Full Version : Import .3ds or .obj without tripled polygons?

MUCUS
10-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Hi there!

I received some Sketchup models that I have to import in modeler, so far .3ds export from Sketchup works great, but
as I want to add some details on the models such as rounded edges, I'm looking for a way to import .3ds without
tripled polygons.

As I first thought it was a Sketchup exporting issue, I load the model into 3dsMax but here the model is fine, I mean
without tripled polygons. So it appears to be a Modeler importing question.

I've although try Merge Trigon X, but the result is not really good (it's large scale arch exteriors scenes)

Any advices?

MSherak
10-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi there!

I received some Sketchup models that I have to import in modeler, so far .3ds export from Sketchup works great, but
as I want to add some details on the models such as rounded edges, I'm looking for a way to import .3ds without
tripled polygons.

As I first thought it was a Sketchup exporting issue, I load the model into 3dsMax but here the model is fine, I mean
without tripled polygons. So it appears to be a Modeler importing question.

I've although try Merge Trigon X, but the result is not really good (it's large scale arch exteriors scenes)

Any advices?

The .3ds format only stores triangles. Max just hides the edge to make it look like quads. An .obj can have quads which you might want to try.

If you are using Merge Trigon X try this version. https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/mergetrigonsx/ It's updated and works with UV's if the model has them.

-M

erikals
10-14-2013, 04:13 PM
LightWave 11.6 has "Merge Triangles"

Dodgy
10-14-2013, 05:10 PM
. Obj does handle n-gons, so if sketch up does export. Obj, try that.

Surrealist.
10-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Additionally by way of Blender, if you use it, you can use Tris to Quads in the Mesh/Faces menu while in Edit mode and then export to .obj or .lwo.

prometheus
10-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Maybe the sketchup pro version with fbx export, that exports out to quads I think, with option to triangulate if you would like to have that by any chance.
maybe a fbx exporter might be around for the free version,donīt know.

safetyman
10-16-2013, 05:07 AM
Additionally by way of Blender, if you use it, you can use Tris to Quads in the Mesh/Faces menu while in Edit mode and then export to .obj or .lwo.

^This is what I do, since it works instantly and it's pretty amazing (haven't tried LW 11.6 yet). You may want to "Remove Doubles" first before you do the Tris to Quads.