PDA

View Full Version : Alembic in 11.6

Lwmaniac
10-14-2013, 01:37 AM
Hi does anybody knows if Alembic import is working already? I've downloaded the latest beta version of 11.6 and alembic import is mentioned in the changelog but i could not get it to work.
Anyone?

Lewis
10-14-2013, 07:14 AM
What was the exact problem when you couldn't get it to work ? And what Beta build you used ?

Lwmaniac
10-14-2013, 10:35 AM
First of all, i'm not sure how it's supposed to work, but using 'load scene' doesn't work. Add a null object to an empty scene, and apply an md reader displacement doesn't work.
Import the static mesh, wich i exported from cinema4D, and apply the deformer to it doesn't work either. I would think that an alembic file includes the object and its animation right?
I also tried to export a simple extruded cube with 5 bones in it from lightwave, including some animation. I get an ABC file but when i open it in cinema4d, it only has the object in it and no animation whatsoever.

Lwmaniac
10-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Oh btw i use 11.6 Build 2714. Downloaded it this morning.

Lewis
10-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Go to Layout and import/export and check do you have button called "Alembic Loader", id you dont' have it on menus then go to menu editor and add it yourself and then try? Seem to work that for me, but just in case also try different *.abc files, maybe you have one which don't work in LW.

Lwmaniac
10-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Ah thanks Lewis. The menu didn't show the load alembic option. I've added it now.
Gonna try some different *.abc files because right now none of them seem to work. Both the cinema4d export and the lightwave export.
Will test it.

Lwmaniac
10-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Ok got it working, import and export. Problems had mostly to do with subdivision stuff. Still, i hope that the alembic export/import is in early stages because right now i really miss the ability to just go to a main export window and select wich object i want to export. Or the whole scene in one go of course. Cause otherwise i could just as well use seperate obj and mdd files. At least that gives me UV and some material information wich alembic at this point doesn't.

Lewis
10-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Well remeber it's Beta currently and they are still working on it so it should be better by release date :).

jwiede
10-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Well remeber it's Beta currently and they are still working on it so it should be better by release date :).

If they're trying for a Q4'13 release, that window's closing rather quickly. 11.6 has a pretty significant quantity of loose ends to tie up in about two months.

jasonwestmas
10-14-2013, 09:51 PM
yes, lack of UVs is a pretty big problem. I also fail to see the usefulness of an .abc importer that doesn't import multiple objects/cache files at once.

jasonwestmas
10-18-2013, 08:10 AM
The .abc loader appears to be working properly now in the Oct. release. Pretty cool.