PDA

View Full Version : so morph mixer and inertia dont get along?

Tranimatronic
10-13-2013, 09:47 PM
if I have morph mixer on an object and add inertia (I want the edges of the morph to move slightly slower than the main parts around the muscle) the morphs completely disappear.
Is there a reason for this ?
Is there a way for these to make friends and just get along ?
Has anyone else seen this behavior ?

T

Tranimatronic
10-13-2013, 09:49 PM
lazy points does the same thing... looks like this idea isnt going to work ;(

Snosrap
10-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Some things in LW just don't know the other exists. (Thumbs down)

Tranimatronic
10-13-2013, 10:13 PM
yeah ! what I'm seeing is that some things in Lightwave MAKE others not exist.

Actually if anyone can confirm this I will FOG it.
In Layout, for an item with a morph map, apply morph mixer, set the morph to 100% and apply either inertia or lazy points. For me the morph disappears. Disable inertia or lazy points and the morph comes back

Cheers

T

Ztreem
10-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Just tested and I can confirm.

3DGFXStudios
10-14-2013, 03:38 AM
You can get an inertia effect with the displacement node editor and the DPkit motion info node. This should work in combination with morphs.

Skonk
10-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Can you do 1 layer of deformations, bake it and apply the baked motion; then apply the second layer of displacement over that?

Tranimatronic
10-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Fogged it: 66420 (Open) Inertia and lazyPoints make morphs disappear
Thanks for the suggestions on the workaround. I will post my results if I get anything working ;)

Tranimatronic
10-14-2013, 08:24 PM
You can get an inertia effect with the displacement node editor and the DPkit motion info node. This should work in combination with morphs.
-A Motion Info node, output the sampled distance covered
by the selected animated "Item" (self selection doesn't work).

I can't seem to get the motion info node to hook up with an item's morph (self selection above...unless I'm doing something stupid)
Thanks for the suggestion though

tbagger
10-14-2013, 08:38 PM
-A Motion Info node, output the sampled distance covered
by the selected animated "Item" (self selection doesn't work).

I can't seem to get the motion info node to hook up with an item's morph (self selection above...unless I'm doing something stupid)
Thanks for the suggestion though

but you can reference that motion from any other motion or displacement node editor. What is it you are trying to do exactly?

erikals
10-14-2013, 11:36 PM
maybe try Lightwave plugin - FI LagMotion
note, it's 32bit PC only...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QVIynoc8VY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9RjipQKiHk

erikals
10-15-2013, 12:00 AM
if you are willing to calculate first, i believe you also can use Bullet or ClothFX with zero gravity...
you can set the dynamics resolution to be very high (for example 100mm for ClothFX) to make it calculate very fast.

Tranimatronic
10-15-2013, 12:00 AM
What is it you are trying to do exactly?
I have an object with a morph. I want to apply lazy points or inertia using a weight map of the vertices involved in the morph to make the vertices closest to the morph's center (which I could then choose when painting the weight map) move first (as the morph happens) and the ones on the outside move very slightly later.
A morph falloff basically, just in time

I WAS hoping to get this effect as a one shot deal, but its looking very much like I will have to apply it afterwards.

Thanks for the suggestion erikals, that does look very much like what I'm after, but Im on Win64 ;(

3DGFXStudios
10-15-2013, 03:44 AM
I'm not really sure what you are trying to do. Can you show us your model. That would help to figure out a solution. Maybe we can come up with a totally different approach.

RebelHill
10-15-2013, 05:15 AM
A morph falloff basically, just in time

Nodal is what you're after. You can use a combination of morph node, weight, and time info to feed into displacement. Working off the top of my head, I think you'll be wanting to animate the morph amount as normal, take the out put of the node, multiply it by the weight, which itself is intermixed with the time as appropriate (multiplication, addition, whatever mix gives what you're after), and have a clamp somewhere in between to stop the weight being mixed with time going beyond 100%.

tbagger
10-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Yeah, what rebelhill said. It would be best to see what exact effect you are going for, there are so many different ways to go about stuff... its hard to give you good info without knowing exactly what you are trying to do. Are you trying to lag points based on the motion of the object or the motion of the morph?

Tranimatronic
10-15-2013, 01:53 PM
the motion of the morph?
lag points based on The motion of the morph. I will post screenshots this evening.

The idea is:
I have 5 wrinkles on my forhead.
1-3 move with the muscle (they are right on top on it) but 4&5 basically are along for the ride, and move a split second later.

I want (using the same morph) to simulate this using either lazyPoints or intertia, but neither of them work. DP's motion info doesnt work on 'self' (I can see why - a motion based on motion of self becomes infinite very easily).

I could drive a separate morph for 4&5 from the value of 1-3, or bake the morphs and re-add laztPoints, but I would like to see/edit/play with the results.

RebelHill : morph amount driving ((weight + time)clamped)
....I think I understand. Would the partially effected vertices catch up (in time) at any point ? Would I need to save the value out onto a null and re-read it next frame ? Will give this a try. Thanks all for the pointers. I was about to give up :) !!

Pictures to follow (I dont have Lightwave at work)