PDA

View Full Version : matching 2d logo colors in a 3d universe

jeric_synergy
10-13-2013, 02:45 PM
So, dealing w/a noobie client, who objects to the color shifting of a logo as it moves thru the LW universe into various lighting situations.

Is the only way to achieve static color values on a given mesh to make the Surface 100% lumina..nant all the time?

Even the wash of an area light is getting a bit of color shift at the edge of the logo.

probiner
10-13-2013, 02:49 PM
So, dealing w/a noobie client, who objects to ** the color shifting of a logo
I assume you forgot the verb *prevent*

Mask and control in post.
When working with clients that provide artwork or other input data, they'll want it, understandably, to come out of your process, dressed up but unchanged. This is usually a mind twist that has to be solved case by case, where they push for the integrity of their work/vision and you push for the sanity of your workflow. One thing that helps not to get lost from what the client wants is in the whole process have a reference floating around or in a layer so you can always get feedback that your going the right direction.
Main issues I face are color shifting due to lighting and "grading"; reflections/refractions/speculars that need to be there but not physically accurate and toned down on strategic spots; feeling of materials which make the most strange conversations at times.
Compositing helps.

Cheers

JonW
10-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Can you do 2 objects, one seen by camera but not seen by radiosity & another one not seen by camera but seen by radiosity.

cagey5
10-14-2013, 11:03 AM
I assume you forgot the verb *prevent*

Cheers

I assume he didn't ;)

jeric_synergy
10-14-2013, 12:38 PM
I assume he didn't ;)
cagey5 would be correct.

It doesn't help that, although the final frame is perfectly correct, even I am a bit surprised at the amount the front part (light blue) of the logo object changes in hue as it rotates in the shot.

Once I get paid and ship this POC I'm gonna experiment with 100% luminance. It'll be more of a mograph look than 3d (I'm guessing/hoping), although of course the perspective will change.

probiner
10-14-2013, 02:34 PM
I assume he didn't ;)

Oh right... damn read it completely wrong... Apologies.

stiff paper
10-17-2013, 10:07 AM
You could try setting off a second render of just the part that needs to stay a set color, by itself at 100% luminous, and then use that pass in post. You could blend the 100% luminous on top of the "real" render to correct the most egregious areas. Or maybe just generate an alpha of the offending part and use that to tint the illumination/reflections back to the base color, so that there's still some play on the surface but it's not the "wrong" color. O-ooo-o-r maybe set all your lights to pure white and do a second render of just the part to use in post, that way you'll only get illumination changes, not color changes.

jeric_synergy
10-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks Cardboard, that's a handy list to go down!

I am a bit surprised at the amount of color shift. More data when I have a minute.....

Chrusion
10-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Jeric, if you didn't set Diffuse, Spec, and Reflection to zero when setting Luminance to 100, then, of course, you will get direct/indirect lighting affecting the surface. If you're using GI, then exclude it from Object Props., too. And of course you informed the client, who thinks they're always right, that doing all of this will result in a totally lifeless, unshaded, and flat/2D effect.

jeric_synergy
10-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Indeed: but, i should know how to effectively produce a lifeless effect, iow, it should be an arrow in my quiver. ;)