PDA

View Full Version : Package scene as zip file???

dblincoe
10-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Am I missing something? On my system I have to create a zip archive first (outside of LW in my mac finder) then write the select the file with the package scene plugin in LW.

Can't LW create the file and the write to it?

meshpig
10-14-2013, 12:40 AM
wtf?

dblincoe
10-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Does this happen on your system?

stiff paper
10-14-2013, 10:55 AM
PC here, not Mac. However...

It's the "zip" part that's strange. To the best of my knowledge Package Scene simply writes what's in the current scene in Layout to a new, clean set of folders. Now, Macs might reference a zip simply as a set of compressed folders that you can write to just like any other folders (That seems very Mac-like to me. I do not like that idea at all.) but LW doesn't make zip files for you.

meshpig
10-15-2013, 01:32 AM
Exactly, you can't rewrite a zip file from LW. It won't let you anyway and even from outside LW you can't see it's "contents". You zip the directory after LW has created it :)

Lwmaniac
10-15-2013, 02:26 AM
I've tested the new package scene to zip thing and it does work on PC, sort of. Though you need to add the path and name in the file input yourself. If i use the browser option to find a folder and specify a name for the zip file it doesn't create anything.
So in my case i used E:\Test.zip

Btw. for the people above, the new 11.6 beta has a function to package your scene to a zip file.

'New feature:
Create ZIP archive. Changed Action options to a popup with three options "Package Files", "Consolidate Files", and "Create ZIP Archive".'

meshpig
10-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Ah, that's interesting I haven't installed the 11.6 beta yet. I guess I'll have to now. Where the zip file is comprised of several different dir's...

meshpig
10-15-2013, 03:33 AM
... OK works fine, but yeah I guess it's designed to update an existing file because it overwrites everything. There goes that idea :)