PDA

View Full Version : Cursor Problem (jumps suddenly out of position after clicking)

gpktm
10-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Hello everyone

I just re-installed LW11.5 in my new machine and I'm facing a problem with the mouse cursor. Some times when I click to perform an action the cursor jumps out of position usually to the edge of the screen.

For example, I'm in command stretch, right after I click, suddenly the cursor jumps out of place somewhere far away and is like I stretched the item by moving the cursor all the way to the edge of the screen.

Can anyone help? Is really really frustrating! And happened right on the time when I have to deliver a project in a short deadline so I need some help desperately!

Markc
10-13-2013, 04:02 AM
Does this only happen in LightWave?
Using an optical mouse on a multicolored surface/mouse mat can cause jumping of the cursor.
Do you have LightWave set to use a Tablet rather than a Mouse?

RudySchneider
10-13-2013, 11:05 AM
gpktm ---
It may not be related to your problem, but I had a similar mouse issue, which also affected my ability to use the lasso tool, associated with mouse "acceleration" settings. I remedied the problem by simply choosing the default mouse settings.

gpktm
10-14-2013, 05:01 AM
Does this only happen in LightWave?
Using an optical mouse on a multicolored surface/mouse mat can cause jumping of the cursor.
Do you have LightWave set to use a Tablet rather than a Mouse?

Now this is interesting Markc. I think we getting somewhere. No I hadn't the setting into Tablet, but when I set it to Tablet the problem seems that is solved, at least in the couple of minutes I tried to work with LW little bit just for testing.

The interesting part is that along with the new machine I bought a tablet too, nevertheless yesterday when I tried to disconnect the tablet 'cause was the first thing came to my mind after I saw this problem, nothing happened, the problem persist. I'm thinking maybe un-installation of the tablet will fix the problem, but is not the ideal solution.

Markc
10-14-2013, 11:49 AM
You may need to tweak the general settings for your tablet (not related to Lightwave).
You can usually set it to either use all your display as the input area, or just a portion of the screen.
This may not help, just making some guesses :confused:

spherical
10-14-2013, 10:54 PM
I had a similar issue a long time back and it was the tablet. The stylus was sitting near enough to the tablet that it was repositioning the cursor automagically. Had me goin' for a bit.

gpktm
10-15-2013, 12:57 AM
I had a similar issue a long time back and it was the tablet. The stylus was sitting near enough to the tablet that it was repositioning the cursor automagically. Had me goin' for a bit.

I thought of that too, but is pretty far from the tablet.

- - - Updated - - -

You may need to tweak the general settings for your tablet (not related to Lightwave).
You can usually set it to either use all your display as the input area, or just a portion of the screen.
This may not help, just making some guesses :confused:

Yes, I've set the limits to one screen instead of two, but even if I brought it back to two screens I'm getting the cursor "jump" again.

gpktm
10-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Is there a way to remove the boundaries in LW if I set the Input Device to tablet?

Markc
10-15-2013, 12:21 PM
I think if you set the tablet to 'Mouse mode' in the tablet settings, it should act like a mouse in LightWave.

gpktm
10-18-2013, 10:44 PM
I think if you set the tablet to 'Mouse mode' in the tablet settings, it should act like a mouse in LightWave.

I changed it to "mouse" but still couldn't remove the boundaries, I think is a LW behaviour rather than the tablet's.

I found something interesting though, this topic is since 2000!!! And mentions exactly the same problem.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Lightwave-3D/conversations/topics/129

Triodin
11-01-2013, 11:20 AM
I am experiencing this EXACT issue with 11.6 currently - any assistance would be appreciated!

Areyos Alektor
11-02-2013, 09:26 PM
What version of driver ? Windows ? The tablet settings are by default ? LightWave is in tablet or mouse mode ?

JonW
11-02-2013, 10:46 PM
I get this as well. Not often, it seems to happen a few times in a day then behave for a week& has happened for years. But so far it has not happened enough to be too much of an irritation.

XP 64 with basically nothing else on the computers.

Triodin
11-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Mouse mode here - using a Razer Naga Hex - even when I disable all the extra stuff with the mouse, it still does it in just layout and modeler - no other issues in any of my other programs. Running Win 8.1. Tablet mode will resolve the issue, but the program feels weird when you're using a mouse in tablet mode...

Wade
11-03-2013, 11:14 AM
it happens to me with google earth all the time - not with LW. Two screens on a wacom tablet...

chikega
11-08-2013, 07:39 AM
OK, I thought it was just me. I'm having the same issue with my mouse in 11.6 ... the cursor jumps off the screen randomly both in Modeler and Layout when I click.

Win8 64bit.

phillydee
11-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Same here.

I think it could be something with the way Windows 8 interprets HID inputs. Ever since I upgraded to windows 8, this has been a problem. I have a suspicion that it could have something to do with the way Windows 8 has touch/tablet support implemented, as when you switch the input device in LW to "Tablet Mode", the mouse movements work correctly(if only it's to the edge of the screen). I tested this before I installed my Cintiq as I wondered if Wacom's tablet drivers caused some type of issue, and it exists prior to Wacom driver installs.

I had hoped Windows 8.1 fixed this, but it's the same too. Kinda stinks especially if you're using the graph editor all the time too.

Sanchon
11-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I've sent this issue to fogbuz week ago - https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?66889_7jvm1p5o

chikega
11-11-2013, 07:43 AM
I just fogbuzzed it as well.

Triodin
11-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Just finished my big paid project fighting this bug all the way, I hope this gets fixed ASAP.

Sanchon
11-11-2013, 01:53 PM
You can try this patch from Microsoft : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279

chikega
11-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Sanchon. I downloaded and installed the MS patch and it didn't help any. Switching Input from "Mouse" to "Tablet" does help though .. even though I'm using a mouse :)

lardbros
02-25-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm getting this too... on Win 7 at work, and Win 8.1 at home. It's driving me mental.

I personally think it's a LightWave thing... but it needs to be solved sharpish. I've noticed it for quite some time, but haven't been bothered to say anything as I thought it was my install of Windows or something.

Anyone got any closer to a fix?

lardbros
02-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Has anyone tried uninstalling their tablet drivers?

Also... does everyone here have a tablet (Wacom) installed?

Lewis
02-25-2014, 10:02 AM
I don't have installed tablet drivers and it happens to me also on daily basis, much more in layout than in modeler :(.

and ONL yin LW (in my case)

Sanchon
02-25-2014, 10:29 AM
I still have this issue. This is very annoying while using VPR. I don't have such problems with other software. This is only a LightWave fault. The FogBugz issue thread is closed ( as many other unresolved ) but this bug still exist.

Lewis
02-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I still have this issue. This is very annoying while using VPR. I don't have such problems with other software. This is only a LightWave fault. The FogBugz issue thread is closed ( as many other unresolved ) but this bug still exist.

Reopen the case (just reply to same email) and say it's NOT fixed. That will open it automatically.

lardbros
02-25-2014, 01:00 PM
I ONLY get this with LW... and I'm sure it's only been occurring since version 11.
It's definitely not fixed!

hrgiger
02-25-2014, 07:12 PM
I thought I was crazy, I have been having this issue and have asked people on Skype about it and nobody I asked knew what I was talking about. Glad I'm not the only one.

spherical
02-25-2014, 07:51 PM
does everyone here have a tablet (Wacom) installed?

Yes. Just got new Intos tablets and have never encountered this problem; either with these or the old 12x12s that they replaced.

mav3rick
02-26-2014, 02:41 AM
+1 same thing happen to me for past 2 releases... since 11.5

Ztreem
02-26-2014, 03:41 AM
Also had this problems from now and then, it's not always occurring but I had this problem since v.9.

Sanchon
02-26-2014, 03:49 AM
Modeler vievports works fine for me, I have problem only in Layout perspective view and VPR.

Lewis
02-26-2014, 04:03 AM
Modeler vievports works fine for me, I have problem only in Layout perspective view and VPR.

In layout I usually get it after i hit "fit selected" and then try to rotate camera, after that camera behaves crazy so i have to undo and do it again. That's where i happens most of time for me BUT not every time so i can't send report with 100% reproducible steps :(.

Sanchon
02-26-2014, 04:37 AM
do you have a4Tech mouse ?

Lewis
02-26-2014, 05:45 AM
do you have a4Tech mouse ?

Nope, my both are Logitech G700 and G510 (happens on Work (win7 64b) and Home (win8 64b) machines.

lardbros
02-26-2014, 05:53 AM
I never get this in modeller... always layout, and mainly when I'm using VPR and rotating etc... BUT not limited to that. Also does it when I'm panning the viewports etc.

Driving me nuts!

Hail
02-26-2014, 07:12 AM
I have this problem too:(
Its very frustrating

rikka+
02-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Has anyone tried uninstalling their tablet drivers?

Also... does everyone here have a tablet (Wacom) installed?

I've a wacom tablet and i've tried to unistall the drivers, but i get the same issue, i'm using xp and lw11.
I always though was a problem of my pc, but at this point is probably a bug, pretty annoying indeed.

lardbros
02-26-2014, 04:15 PM
I also get this panning and stuff in the graph editor... it's SOOOOO annoying!!

Drakeniir
02-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I was getting this for a while, and then noticed that a single eyelash had managed to wedge itself inside the lens enclosure of the IR sensor on my mouse. removed it, and things are much better. I still have the issue sometimes, but very rarely.

lardbros
02-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Wish it was an eyelash in my case... unfortunately it only happens in LightWave, and on a very regular basis.
The most frustrating time is in the Graph Editor! Blimmin' irritating!

Taro Yoshimoto
03-02-2014, 01:59 PM
My mouse is jerking when rotating an object. Almost impossible to rotate anything. Logitech G500 mouse. the problem is related to SmoothMouse on OS X. When I disable smoothmouse, the jerking stop but I am stuck with the abysmal OS X mouse acceleration.

The problem only occur in LW. My wacom tablet is not suffering from it.

I will switch back to PC in 4-5 weeks. Hopefuly it's going to fix it.

chikega
03-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Still having the same issue with (both Modeler and Layout). The cursor jumps wildly taking the selected object with it or if I'm rotating, it jumps erratically. Very disconcerting and frustrating. :(

Win 8.1, AMD HD Radeon 6950, 16GB RAM, Logitech G9X mouse (Wacom tablet is not plugged in)

lardbros
03-09-2014, 01:34 AM
Does it happen EVERY time you move anything?
I seem to get it completely randomly. After a few clicks here and there, I'll suddenly get a jumping one.... Usually to the left... And waaaay away. Happens if I do anything though... Like graph editor, moving objects, key frames on the dope track, rotating the camera.

Could this be a windows thing as opposed to a LightWave one? I don't get this in anything else though... And it's apparent only in Layout for me.
I've told Deuce I'm going to record a video of it happening... But haven't had a chance due to work.

lardbros
03-09-2014, 01:38 AM
I turned off all the mouse pointer accuracy settings and extra crap in Windows 8, hoping it might make a difference, but it's still the same. :-(
This became quite a major problem during my last project... Frustrated the hell out of me!!
Along with many, many other bugs that have crept in and ruined my fun... I'll document them all and send a bug report. Everything feels like it's breaking a bit, and surprised that haven't noticed!

hrgiger
03-09-2014, 09:31 AM
im still getting this in the latest beta of 11.6.2 Pretty much in modeler but Im almost exclusively in modeler these days. Go to grab a point with the drag tool and it my cursor (along with the point) shoots randomly off to one side.

phillydee
03-09-2014, 10:00 AM
I just re-installed Windows 8. I installed LW and only **AFTER** I installed the Wacom (Cintiq) tablet drivers did LW exhibit this issue. Here is what happened:

- Installed Lightwave 11.6.1 before the wacom drivers. I loaded up some key heavy scenes in Layout. Zooming, rotating perspective view, and Graph Editor all showed normal mouse behavior. I toggled mouse and tablet input modes back and fourth and came back to mouse mode. No change, still appeared to work correctly. (movement can extend past screen borders and interface reacts/behaves accordingly)
- Installed Wacom drivers. Opened LW up again with mouse. Things seemed normal until I noticed my mouse behaving like a tablet: LW perspective view movement and Graph editor movement would "stop" when the mouse reached the edge of the screen. Opeend up OPTIONS panel, saw that the input mode was still on "Mouse" but reacted like a pen. Toggled the mode to tablet and back to mouse.

It was at this point that the MOUSE movement began going nutty, in both Graph editor and layout. I wonder if there's some issue with Windows 8/8.1's tablet input layered with Wacom drivers that are causing LW to go nuts. I use LW with the Cintiq but still trying to use it with the mouse is a bummer.

spherical
03-09-2014, 09:37 PM
OK, this is beginning to concern me. I've been holding off "upgrading" to Win 8.1. Unsure of just how that will go. Recently got a new Wacom Intuos Pro Large to replace the old 12"x12" serial interface tablet I've used for seems like ever. I'm seeing (knock wood) none of this on two machines, a 32-bit and a 64-bit. Now, my Logitech trackball is wired and the Wacom is wired. I'm not using wireless on either one. Are any of you?

chikega
03-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Yes, Lardbros ... it's random. I'm not sure if it's just Win 8.1 ... I don't see this behavior in any of my other 3d software (Modo, FormZ, Silo, NVil, Blender, etc...) :-/

Lewis
03-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Yes, Lardbros ... it's random. I'm not sure if it's just Win 8.1 ... I don't see this behavior in any of my other 3d software (Modo, FormZ, Silo, NVil, Blender, etc...) :-/

NO it's not win 8.1 it's LW for sure (other software work fine). I have it happening in Win 8.0 (still didn't upgrade to 8.1) and on win7 at other work machine :(. And nither of machines has or had Wacom drivers installed. CPUs MB and 90% of parts is different in those machines (in my singature). Only common is Logitech mouse/drivers and Nvidia 660GTX GFX card/Nvidia drivers.

Every4thPixel
04-02-2014, 04:42 AM
I've this problem too and I'm 100% sure it's not a tablet problem because I don't have a tablet. Just a mouse. It's driving me nuts. My models keep flipping upside down.

chikega
07-09-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm on LW 11.6.3 and I'm still having this issue, but now I have two monitors. And the cursor will jump all the way over to the other monitor randomly. It's not doing it MODO, Blender, Silo, 3dcoat, Zbrush, NViL .... just ugh! :help:

EDIT: Switching Input Device to Tablet seems to work (even though I'm using a mouse).

Sanchon
07-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Probably you have something bad with software. This issue was gone months ago after MS patch. Mouses and Wacom tablets works fine now. Two monitors too.

Lewis
07-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Probably you have something bad with software. This issue was gone months ago after MS patch. Mouses and Wacom tablets works fine now. Two monitors too.

Any link to that particular Patch ?

Hail
07-11-2014, 08:54 AM
I updated my gpu drivers and mine also went away:)

lardbros
07-11-2014, 10:55 AM
I don't appear to suffer from this any longer either... It think it was sorted with the 8.1 update in win 8, but I'm also not getting this in win 7 any longer either. So... Must have been an update at some stage. Are you still suffering Lewis?

Lewis
07-11-2014, 11:03 AM
I have latest GFX drivers and all win8 updates (and win7 on the other machine) and still suffer form this massivelly in Layout :(.

chikega
07-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Have tried changing to Tablet mode Lewis? That's what is working for me currently ... although it could change with the next update ;)

Lewis
07-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Have tried changing to Tablet mode Lewis? That's what is working for me currently ... although it could change with the next update ;)

Not in Laoyut (i will) but i tried in modeler and although i don't see that issue anymore with tablet mode it has one nasty thing when usign stretch tool which is too annoying for me, when you let go mouse cursor appears way way back on left or roght depends where you "stretched" which is normla tablet behaviour but weird with mouse 'coz oyu have to move it back every time and it's tiresome on large screen/resolution :).

EDIT -just tested and yes same problem in layout with tablet mode - draws cursor to location when i use move or rotate... so yeah its even worse for usage :) :).

chikega
07-15-2014, 06:45 AM
Well that just stinks Lewis :(

The interesting thing is that LW 11.6.3 on my Mac does not exhibit this problem.

mav3rick
10-09-2014, 12:14 PM
bump.... NEWTEK PLEASE... HAVE A MERCY FIX THAT MOUSE JUMP BUG... it really is irritating and makes all kind of mess for me while working 11.6.3 WIN 7 64bit, GTX 680

2create
01-24-2016, 05:21 AM
This helps out the situation but doesn't totally fix it. Maybe it's a mixture of things? Enhanced pointer precision off doesn't seem to change anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzOHxiY_AhM

erikals
01-24-2016, 06:54 AM
also >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042nT0yHVTM

erikals
01-24-2016, 06:56 AM
and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u5T-bXJBQk

2create
01-25-2016, 07:09 AM
Just tried my work computer and I have no issues with a very similar setup. Some difference are:

Home PC with jumping cursor: Win 10 upgrade, Logitech mouse, Intuos Pen and Touch
Work PC without jumping cursor: Win 10 fresh, budget mouse, Intuos 3

samhern
08-31-2016, 04:17 PM
I also have the problem ... looking for a fix. I have LW 2015.3 (Win 64) on a Windows 10 system . Using a Logitech connect mouse.

The mouse works fine on all other applications very smooth and precise. When on Modeler and trying to move a point it will jump downwards out of the screen ... so I have to retry and retry to make it move to were I need it to be.... very frustrating ... to the point I no longer use LW as much as I would like ...

Any suggestions ...?

wingzeta
08-31-2016, 05:01 PM
I had a problem like this at one point, and it was a real drag. The thing that fixed it was:

1. Go to your Program Files, Newtek, Lightwave, "bin" folder and find the modeler and layout.exe files.

2. Right click on one of them, and select "Properties"

3. under the "Compatibility" tab, check the box that says "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

4. Apply, and then do the same thing to the modeler.exe, or layout.

LW works great ever since. I do think it is a LW bug, and should be fixed, but this should work in the meantime, if your issue is the same as mine.

zapper1998
09-01-2016, 03:19 AM
Thanks

That worked...

wahooooo

:)

wingzeta
09-01-2016, 04:01 PM
Thanks

That worked...

wahooooo

:)

Glad I could help. If I could remember where I found that bit of advice I would credit the source. I just remember doing a lot of searching before I found it. It seems to be a Windows / LW issue. People new to LW might just give up in frustration, so I hope they fix it in the next release.

Lewis
09-01-2016, 11:43 PM
Doesn't help here on my two machines (still jumping=) but good to see it solves it for someone at least. Only thing what "helps" for me is pause between shortcut and mouse movement. If I do it quickly then it's very frustrating and undo is constant use, if i wait 0.5-1sec between key shortcut and mouse movement then it's fine. It seems like LW can't keep up/process commands quick enough.

Chris S. (Fez)
07-24-2017, 01:41 PM
LW is the only program that routinely has Wacom Intuos issues. The cursor keeps jumping. Is this going to be fixed in the next release? If the next release is not imminent then we would all appreciate a patch for this and other issues.