PDA

View Full Version : Creating a high def mist effect

esallett
10-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Hiya!!
I am taking on a new project and I would like to know if anyone has any tips / tricks on creating a high def mist effect?
It's for a shower scene! So it needs to look as realistic as possible! And as "fluid" as possible!

I am using lightwave 10

Thanks in advance :)

Doctor49152
10-12-2013, 03:36 PM
I've used stock video (well done on high-speed film originally) of light smoke over a black velvet cloth background. Then just keyed it overtop. Works amazingly well.

vector
10-12-2013, 11:32 PM
I got nice results using HV for not so realistic mist so I guess a subtle effect with Turbulence might help (I haven't tried it for that )

prometheus
10-13-2013, 07:56 AM
if you are using particles and hypervoxels, you would have to use larger particle size and simulate mist movement with the hypertextures motion, moving the procedurals vectors z,y,or,z...or use some of
the procedurals built in animations,
It will be hard to choose the right one, or move and tweak it..can be done but takes time to get it done if you arenīt custome to it.

add a null, activate it with hypervoxels..
use the texture effect in hypervoxels. choose a proper hypertexture effect, and then go to the texture effect tab and pick either turbulence or velocity effect, try a small speed setting.
use viper ...not vpr to fast make of previews of the motion and look of it...you can then render out several different motion effects or textures, and crop it, and finally comp it in to the final scene render.

you can also skip particles and just use procedural textures on a polycard, or use it as textures only when using volumetric lights in sprite mode perhaps, or use procedurals in textured environment or fog.

Otherwise as mentioned, live photage if possible and comp in, that would probably be a cost to get a decent clip, or use fluids for the more realistic mist motion, but that comes at a cost too.

the other solutions are free and availble in lightwave nativly but comes at the cost in tweaking time to get the best out of it, but it is very much doable if you have a good sense and eye to match those tweaks against
a real shower mist reference.