PDA

View Full Version : Neill Blomkamp modelled in Lightwave for Elysium!

drako
10-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Reading in 3D World issue 174 page 34,
"Neill also modelled one of the new buildings himself, using Lightwave," says Chapman.

Just wow. Amazing to see a Lightwaver becoming a master director.
:thumbsup:

Rob maybe an interview with Neill Blomkamp to promote Lightwave...

erikals
10-11-2013, 06:59 AM
Rob, you know what to do,... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

stiff paper
10-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Blomkamp has used LightWave for years. He was using it to do a wide variety of things when he was at The Embassy VFX in Vancouver.

He also did the VFX for many of his short films himself (with help from others along the way, as far as I know). All of that is LW.

The VFX work for his Halo shorts was done at Origami Digital, and that was mostly LW too.

nickdigital
10-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Blomkamp has used LightWave for years. He was using it to do a wide variety of things when he was at The Embassy VFX in Vancouver.

He also did the VFX for many of his short films himself (with help from others along the way, as far as I know). All of that is LW.

The VFX work for his Halo shorts was done at Origami Digital, and that was mostly LW too.

Did not know this. Neil sounds like a perfect subject for a Client Profile Piece.

robertoortiz
10-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I agree with all that has been said/

prometheus
10-13-2013, 07:43 AM
I want links to what is modelled in elysium

jeric_synergy
10-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Did not know this. Neil sounds like a perfect subject for a Client Profile Piece.
Man, that's an understatement. Sounds like a PR goldmine for LW3DG.

(I'm trying to stop saying "NewTek". I gotta get w/the times.)

OnlineRender
10-16-2013, 09:03 AM
I secretly like the fact that LW is a dark horse, it gets used all the time on huge projects we just dont generally hear about it.

it's a silent assassin

jeric_synergy
10-16-2013, 09:49 AM
I secretly like the fact that LW is a dark horse, it gets used all the time on huge projects we just dont generally hear about it.

it's a silent assassin
Yeahhhhhhhh, that TOTALLY helps in getting jobs. {/sarc}

OnlineRender
10-17-2013, 03:00 AM
Yeahhhhhhhh, that TOTALLY helps in getting jobs. {/sarc}

Hmm I agree that making software more marketable will produce more jobs , but I have came to the conclusion that it really is the person behind the computer and not the software.

erikals
10-17-2013, 05:20 AM
this was also made by Neill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WVQ3yxR_xQ

Copyright Đ Neill Blomkamp

TETRA VAAL | 2003 | 1:20 Director/Editor/DP/FX: Neill Blomkamp
Tetra Vaal is a spec commercial/corporate video created to put forth the idea of a robotic system of control that can function on its own, and make simple decisions. Shot in Johannesburg, South Africa, the eerie piece is designed to suggest the near future. Footage shot in Johannesburg using a Canon GL1 and edited using Adobe Premiere. All visual effects were created using LightWave 3D and Photoshop and composited in Combustion.
----------------

The spec film that showed off Blomkamp’s combined talents was 2003’s Tetra Vaal. “I came up with this weird, documentarian, messed-up piece that took place in South Africa,”
he says of the Robocop-like short. Shooting in poverty-stricken Soweto in Johannesburg and Khayelitsha in Cape Town, Blomkamp created his character in CG and used motion
capture and Rotoscope animation to insert the gun-toting robot into the realistic setting. Tetra Vaal startled and disturbed audiences at RESFEST that year, but Blomkamp denies
any political intent. “Up until that point my visual effects [were about] making manmade objects that either existed in a place where they were not filmed or [were] breaking apart in
a place where you couldn’t break apart a real one. And so it was the first time I had done a character.”
----------------

old LightWave thread > http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?21736

stiff paper
10-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Just a random note about that old thread... Blomkamp's lighting in those early shorts isn't HDR, in that it isn't an HDR image taken on location and then used later for cg lighting. Back then he'd light things just by looking at the footage and then arranging simple LW lights and luminous polys around his scene until the lighting was "just right". Aaaaand... photorealism. And it would only take him five minutes. Ouch. The first time I saw him do that it was pretty mindblowing. It recalibrated my understanding of what was possible with simple lighting. You know when you're seeing something special, it's just obvious.

It really isn't the software. Mostly what you need is for the software to give you basic tools that are easy to use, and then to not be in the way. Everything else is down to you.

jeric_synergy
10-17-2013, 09:54 AM
just to be clear: i believe LW's renders are as good as any other software, and superior to most. The artistry is absolutely down to , dur, the artist.

BUT, getting a paying gig is an entirely different thing, and when the local production community has never even heard (!?) of Lightwave, and you're going to work at their place for four days, it doesn't really matter: they want "operators", not artists. It doesn't matter how good a saxophonist you are when they're looking for a percussionist. Or how good a sketch artist you are, when they want an oil painting.

jasonwestmas
10-17-2013, 09:56 AM
It is the software, and it is the lighting artist, but I would agree that it's not as much of a technical hurdle as some people might think in some cases.

stiff paper
10-17-2013, 10:24 AM
...getting a paying gig is an entirely different thing, and when the local production community has never even heard (!?) of Lightwave, and you're going to work at their place...

Yes. I was simply throwing some information into the thread that I happened to know about.

LightWave is not currently the force that it was 13 years ago, but things aren't as dire with LW now as they were, say, five years ago. I have no idea what to do about it not having as high a profile as it used to, but I do think that if things are going to pick up then it isn't going to happen overnight. The LW team after the original people split and went... over there... spent something like seven years getting 15% of everything right and 85% of everything wrong. That's a helluva thing to make up for. The new broom has managed to sweep pretty impressively clean, so far, and hopefully that'll continue.

For what it's worth, it's no bed of roses trying to find work with LW over here in the UK either.

jeric_synergy
10-17-2013, 10:36 PM
My envy is hereby slaked. ;)

Seriously, all i hear here is "Maya" and "C4D". Of course, Adobe really gave them a shot in the arm. I understand it's a bit different four hours north.

++
EDIT: and if we're going to talk about artistry..... http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/10/mini-motorama/#slideid-100881

prometheus
10-20-2013, 01:38 PM
I donīt have the magazine, so I am still missing some showcase of it all, canīt be impressed by something I cant see, maybe in the newsletters for the next month in Lightwave3d ..please.

stiff paper
10-21-2013, 03:30 PM
And if we're going to talk about artistry..... http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/10/mini-motorama/#slideid-100881

Ah! Yes, I saw those a while back on Flickr. They are genuinely fantastic. To some extent they make me sad that VFX is all done with CG now.

Tranimatronic
10-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Seriously, all i hear here is "Maya" and "C4D". I understand it's a bit different four hours north.

If, by 4 hours north you mean in Vancouver, then no it's all "Maya" here too.

Matt
10-21-2013, 06:12 PM
People do know about the "Do you Have a LightWave Story" button on the front page of out website right?

If you see anything cool that's escaped our attention. Let us know!

jeric_synergy
10-21-2013, 06:17 PM
If, by 4 hours north you mean in Vancouver, then no it's all "Maya" here too.
Hmmm, I'd thought with Kelly "Cat" Meyers in town there'd be more Lightwave. Him and the SF channel (or whatever it is today).

Oedo 808
10-21-2013, 10:56 PM
People do know about the "Do you Have a LightWave Story" button on the front page of out website right?

If you see anything cool that's escaped our attention. Let us know!

I guess people might have been thinking of that as "Do You Have a LightWave Story".

I mean, I have a LightWave story, it goes like this: "I like LightWave, but I suck."

Not quite one to stop the presses. 8/

jeric_synergy
10-21-2013, 11:09 PM
I mean, I have a LightWave story, it goes like this: "I like LightWave, but I suck."

!!!! We have SO much in common!! Besties? :beerchug: :dance: