PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk to Discontinue Upgrade Sales

robertoortiz
10-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Quote:
"As part of an Investors Day meeting at the Autodesk Gallery in San Francisco, technology developer Autodesk said it would discontinue the ability to purchase software upgrades on February 1, 2015 "

http://www.awn.com/interstitial/interstitial.php?referer=http%3A//www.awn.com/news/technology/autodesk-discontinues-upgrade-sales

Nicolas Jordan
10-10-2013, 01:08 PM
There seem to plenty of signs recently that Autodesk is really trying desperately to cut costs. No booth at Siggraph and constantly laying off staff. I'm starting to think that their market share is slowly shrinking.

stiff paper
10-10-2013, 01:22 PM
I expect they're just on an infinite death-loop trying to maximise shareholder value more than they did last quarter.

Also... I wonder if that means Softimage is officially dead?

Waves of light
10-10-2013, 01:47 PM
This seems to be the direction software companies are going in, so that there is a monthly revenue stream constantly coming through the doors. I really hope LW3DG don't go down this route. I want to be able to pay for my software and then decide whether or not to upgrade when the next version comes out... and still be able to use the older version in the meantime. I don't want to have to pay out each month, just to be able to keep and use 'my' software.

spherical
10-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Wow, talk about having one's head so far up their @$$es that they can see out their mouths while shmoozing the investors. Yeah, kill upgrade paths, that'll keep market share.

Megalodon2.0
10-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I really hope LW3DG don't go down this route.

The minute they do, I'll be downloading Blender and flipping NT the bird. I don't think they'd be that stupid though.

hrgiger
10-10-2013, 02:16 PM
There seem to plenty of signs recently that Autodesk is really trying desperately to cut costs. No booth at Siggraph and constantly laying off staff. I'm starting to think that their market share is slowly shrinking.

I wouldn't say there's any sign that there's a shrinking market share for AD, that seems like wishful thinking. It's probably just the usual corporate BS- putting their revenue where ever it will best please the investors instead of their own employees or customers.

GandB
10-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Without customers, there is no market share.

Tranimatronic
10-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Really though "upgrade sales" for Autode$k have been dead for a couple of years.
I have a copy of Maya2012. Upgrade $2575+tax. New $3675+tax.
$2500 for an upgrade? what do I actually get?

noone rushing to buy it ? how weird is that ?

I have a good idea! try adding new features. Or even fixing the botched attempts at 'fixing' tools that have worked for years until the last 'upgrade'.
Try bundling something that can render passes and layers without waiting 10 minutes between passes.

Or maybe just make the UI a little darker and pass the same product off as an upgrade. It worked for the last three years right ?

probiner
10-10-2013, 02:57 PM
aaahhh... More like "CG industry as a whole" market share no? In my narrow view opinion the boom has passed. New things will keep coming, but the room for development and prospect of profit might not be in good shape. That has been reflected on development no? Things still running mostly on stuff started in 2008 or before, no? The complaint is horizontal. Maybe not Zbrush ;)

Cheers

erikals
10-10-2013, 04:52 PM
I have a copy of Maya2012. Upgrade $2575+tax... New $3675+tax...

dang, that's one pricey upgrade... http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/suspicious.gif

JonW
10-10-2013, 09:56 PM
When companies are buying up the opposition to maintain sales they have run out of ideas & are ultimately doomed.