PDA

View Full Version : Techniques for bringing an object in mid-timeline?

raw-m
10-10-2013, 09:00 AM
What's a good approach to bringing an object into view mid timeline so it doesn't effect lighting/shadows/motion blur while it's off screen and not visible?

Do you use Object Dissolve, scale up from 0 or is there a better solution?

jeric_synergy
10-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Those two, or Jump it in. Just watched a video where nodal motion was used to jump something in at a given time, logic nodes, added to Y.

I'd probably use Object Dissolve as the simplest solution, but with a Jump you can be sure the render engine isn't even considering it at all.

raw-m
10-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Cheers Jeric. Yes, I think object dissolve is probably the best solution as any shadows the object casts don't suddenly jump in. Was wondering if there may be some automatic 'distance to' trick to use...?

Sensei
10-10-2013, 07:23 PM
There is something wrong with Dissolve? You have to change it to Step mode though..

jeric_synergy
10-10-2013, 08:03 PM
raw-m, I don't know of any nodal object-dissolve nodes or nodal editor, BUT every day I learn that Denis has had one for yonks that I didn't understand. (no surprise there.)

There's "Distance Dissolve", but that's a simple Envelope with no MINIMUM setting (EDIT: Actually, it's not even an Envelope- it's just a value). You could maybe craft an Expression for the Object Dissolve envelope tying its distance to another Item (usually the camera, but best to keep it general) to its Dissolve value.

But, it's all a lot of work compared to just setting the Dissolve Envelope with STEPPED keyframes. OTOH, once you have Expressions, it's automatic.

Ryan Roye
10-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I use dissolve + step frames whenever I need to dismiss an object from being included in render calculations. One could probably create a 1-2 line "on/off" script so that doing this is just a button press, but I haven't found myself doing it often enough to bother.

Remember that object dissolve only stops Lightwave from including any given object in calculations when its value is set to 100%. If the value is 99.99% or lower, the object's presence will impact the speed of a render.

jeric_synergy
10-10-2013, 10:07 PM
One could probably create a 1-2 line "on/off" script so that doing this is just a button press, but I haven't found myself doing it often enough to bother.

If the value is 99.99% or lower, the object's presence will impact the speed of a render.
where would one apply such a script???

And worth repeating: only 100% does the trick.

raw-m
10-11-2013, 03:20 AM
Thanks peeps. Knew there would be a nugget of gold from a daft question - good to know there are no calculations made at 100% dissolve.