PDA

View Full Version : OT: Todays kids meet PONG!

Matt
11-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Round up a bunch of 'Playstation Generation' kids and force the little buggers to play the games from our era! Muhahahahahahaha!

Makes an interesting read . . .

Childs Play! (http://www.egmmag.com/article2/1,4364,1338730,00.asp)

Macet01
11-14-2003, 11:34 AM
This just makes me want to run away and cry. I remember playing Pong on a coin op machine as a kid.

***Saunters away into the sunset to the sad going away music from The Hulk***

Matt
11-14-2003, 11:44 AM
I know! How dare they diss our 'classics', ungrateful [email protected]! :D

js33
11-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Those kids have no clue that things like PS2 and cellphones didn't exist in the 70s. Ungrateful little bastards. Hehehe

Cheers,
JS

cresshead
11-14-2003, 05:39 PM
i think i grew up in a very exciting time..we saw the birth of rock n roll, manned rockets...men landing on the moon, birth of cheap affordable computers and digital watches.. that didn't take up a office block and it's own sub station and the birth of computer games like pong, manic miner, space invaders, galaxian, defender, battlezone and tempest plus we had things like tron, jaws, close encounters and alien and starwars...all amazing things...

these days kids wouldn't know anything about "game play" if it were 15feet tall and lit in neon!....

the most exciting times are when new things are done/created..
we're now just going thru a refining period of human development and some of it is actually getting worse!.....
like no manned exploration to planets anymore...not for over 30years!!!!...and no more supersonic air travel with concorde..

yeah way to go with the negative progress!

all down to money and not pushing barriers because of a cold war etc is no longer there....

the next big thing will be china landing men on the moon to reclaim it from the usa...and it WILL happen!

....gee i'm old!

steve g

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

js33
11-14-2003, 11:32 PM
Really Steve, How old are you anyway. :D

Just kidding. I'm probably about your age. Yeah I remember when new things came along and it was cool because they either didn't exist before or never happened before. I would take the cold war again anyday over this terrorist crap we have now. At least it led to some progress like you said of sending men to the moon.

The Apollo space program was much more exciting than the Shuttle ever was. Of course we had some bad things like the Kennedy assasinations and the vietnam war (I was 3 when JFK was killed) and don't really remember much about vietnam but I do remember the moon landing (9 at the time). Of course music was much better then and we got to watch the Beatles and the British envasion. Top 40 radio back then was actually good. And we had Motown. Computers didn't come along until I was 15. Remember the Commodore PET. A friend from high school had one of those. I didn't get my first computer, a C64, until I was 23.

Cheers,
JS

Rei
11-15-2003, 07:58 AM
I am on the edge of the PS gen and the older gen (hell, i am Gen X) but i can see a game like pong as an immortal peice of work. (not to mention the programming!)

It is true, most games today are just like the films today... no brainers

Lamont
11-15-2003, 01:56 PM
Of course they have no idea. They just want to play games. Kids could care less who made them or the effort that went into things like that. They still don't care, because kids are always about the "now".

They also don't know that the play mechanics from half the games we play now are in the games from when I was a kid.

I still have my Atari and like 30 games ;).

It is true, most games today are just like the films today... no brainersI would not say that. Yes there are TONS of tripe out there, but I would not say "most".

riki
11-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Err I remember my parents generation complaining about going to school barefoot and eating dripping sandwiches. But I could never care less, just buy me a Nintendo damn it :)

BTW Atari still has a decent looking web in AU: http://www.atari.com.au/

Lamont
11-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Tell you what, I am waiting for this:

http://www.atari.com.au/product/?action=view&id=1480

I played it a million times, but hey, what's one more?

dwburman
11-18-2003, 04:15 AM
Do you really think that modern games take less thought than PONG? The old text-adventure games, now that's a different story. :)

I remember noticing how much faster a C=64 was than an Atari 2600. And the sound was better than an NES. I didn't want an NES. I was more of a computer snob.

When I look back on those early video games, I'm surprised how long they held my attention, especially the Atari 2600. Then again, when you're a kid with an active imagination, a few sticks and a dirt pile are all you need for entertainment.

gjjackson
11-18-2003, 09:00 AM
I like the old text adventure games. I remember one in particular I could never get through, 'I, Robot'. So I bought the book by Asimov to try to figure it out. But the whole premise of the game was different so it didn't help. But the book was good. There was even an Outer Limits episode based on the book. I played that on a C-64 along with many others. What's cool is there's emulators out there now. I still play some of them on occasion. The graphics sure seem crude by today's standard but still amazing how few pixels they used to make characters that were recognizable. The one I played most was FistII. It was the only game I got all the way through. It was tough because you couldn't save the game, just had to let the computer run constantly until you finished. If you died you had to start from the very beginning. I played it recently and couldn't get past the first level.

It's amazing that the C-64 was a 1mhz machine and now I have a machine that 3000 times faster. Back then the industry Really believed they could make CPU's hit 100 mhz by the turn of the century, which is what a Cray ran at.

js33
11-18-2003, 09:21 AM
Too bad your modern machine doesn't feel 3000 times faster.
Well maybe in render times but not just using the interface.

The C64 was a very efficient machine as were the Amigas after them. I still wish for an OS that was as snappy as the Amiga and one that multitasks as well. I guess OSX is close to what the Amiga might have been by now. The PC probably won't get to that level until Longhorn. Well in Apples and MSs defense they are able to do alot more things now then the Amiga could simply because of normal progress. Well the Amiga was the first machine to have a Video Toaster. :D I know the Amiga still exists in some form but for me it died in 1994. :mad:

Cheers,
JS

gjjackson
11-18-2003, 12:17 PM
I remember when the Amigas first come out. I was surely impressed. At the time I couldn't afford one. I just kept drooling for years. One of the first programs I saw on it was Battle Chess. I used to stand in the store for hours watching people play it. It seems they were more advanced in many ways and FAR ahead of any of the competition. It really too bad they aren't anymore.
I've seen that there are Amiga's for sale on Ebay. There are a number 4000T's back to the 500 for sale. I seriously considering buying one of the VT just for the experience, since I'd missed out on them. But who knows what kind of shape they're really in. Plus I doubt I would have the time to get into it.

Matt
11-18-2003, 01:52 PM
NoiseTracker was what made me want to buy an Amiga, and the Cinemaware games.

Oh and Speedball / Speedball 2 / Turrican the list goes on! Great machine!

cresshead
11-18-2003, 05:41 PM
i still remember colossal cave for the zx81 and seeing the first 3d maze game..can't remember the name of it but it had a t rex as the bad thing chasing you..Hmm black n white..no sound but still a ace computer...what happenned to all those membrane style keyboards..never really took of eh..but simple to clean!

steve g

FenrirWolf
11-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the great laughs there. It's amusing to see what the current generation thinks about the classics. Hard to imagine we've gone from monochrome games like Asteroids and Space Invaders to things like the XBox and PS2.

Hell, it still blows me away to considering that the game Tron 2.0 was doing in realtime what it took months and months of slavishly rendering away to accomplish in the original movie.

But, heck, I still feel like I accomplished something by learning how to actually beat E.T. for the original Atari. Hey, what can I say? I played it inbetween sessions of Star Raiders and Yars Revenge. ;)

dwburman
11-19-2003, 11:09 AM
There are two things I miss about my C=64/128.

1. Turn the computer on and it's on.

2. .SID songs with the ability to scroll the lyrics to the song along with the music.

actually, I don't miss number 2 that much but I did when I switched to the Amiga.

Things I miss about the Amiga
1. Small OS
2. understanding the OS, what the files did and where they should be.
3. having a system better than anything else
4. the family feeling (smugness)
5. the snappy feel to the OS

I guess I should buy a pocket PC to get back some of that, eh?

BeeVee
11-20-2003, 01:47 AM
God no. Don't buy a PocketPC! If you want some of that Amiga feeling back buy a Palm. Instant on, with a band of smalltime developers churning out over 20,000 programs at last count, plus a source like Aminet to get them from (http://www.palmgear.com).

I've had a Palm since I did a round-up of PDAs for Amiga Format. It was the best of the bunch then and it sure is the best of the bunch now - I've even converted my LightWave to an eBook to be read on my Palm...

B

riki
11-20-2003, 02:07 AM
Check this link for some golden oldies.

http://pelikonepeijoonit.net/egscans.html

http://netti.nic.fi/~pelle/pkp/old4col1.jpg

dwburman
11-20-2003, 09:16 AM
So we've moved to a different planet then :D

Thanks for the info BeeVee. I doubt I'll actually be buying a PDA type device soon, though. Amiga Format. eh? I think I have the last issue around somewhere. I only ever bought a few because of their cost in the US and I didn't have the cash back then. Cool mag though.

OH yeah, the other thing I miss from those days...
digital joysticks with all those microswitches going click click click when you moved the stick. It always seemed easier to hit angles (up+right) on those things than with a game pad. Of course, only having 1 button was a severe limitation.

BeeVee
11-20-2003, 09:35 AM
I had a Kempston Competition Pro 5000 joystick - the black one with the red buttons and handle on a square base that would kill your hands if you used it too long. It lasted for over ten years before I got rid of my Amiga... :)

B

marc
11-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Like so many of my generation (late 20s, early 30s) I have been affected by nostalgia. I have a living room with retro'esque furniture, a B/W TV with a Commodore C=16 (my first computer) connected to it. And I came across an interesting book that I thought might be worth mentioning: Supercade (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0262524201/qid=1069447839/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-7717392-8484850?v=glance&n=507846)

OK it goes only until 1984, but it's a start. If you speak a little German you might want to check out the books by GAMEplan (http://www.gameplan.de). I have the first one that features almost every game console/computer you can imagine. Excellent.

Marc