PDA

View Full Version : Ink test in lightwave 11.6.1

drako
10-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Testing ink rendering in LW 11.6.1 with nodes editor.Very impressive results in a 10 minutes.
Just want to show it.More to come.....
Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oModam22_t0

Sensei
10-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Effect looks good.

ps. There is not even finished LW v11.6.. You probably meant LW v11.5.1.

sami
10-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Nice look!! Would love to see more than 4 seconds of animation (and with moving lights etc) - upload more when you can! :)

drako
10-10-2013, 02:05 AM
More to come so stay tune.I m going to make some tests and then i provide more videos.
Sensei you have right i have made them with Lightwave 11.6 and i m going to correct my fault.
Thanks man.
Cheers guys....

jwiede
10-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Nice look!! Would love to see more than 4 seconds of animation (and with moving lights etc) - upload more when you can! :)

The look is great, very promising. Though I won't ask for longer clips (wouldn't mind, ofc), I too would like to see at least a brief clip showing how the effect responds to moving lights, multiple light sources generating multiple shadows, etc. -- it just seems like that's where these NPR shading effects run into the most issues.

Also, do you plan to provide a more in-depth tutorial or breakdown of how the shader works, why it's put together the way it is, and so forth? It's an area where there isn't a whole lot of LW tutorial content (at least that I've seen), and I'd even be willing to pay for an in-depth tutorial into generating NPR shaders using LW nodes. As a Mac user, Unreal isn't an option, so I'm always interested in approaches that use cross-platform-available solutions instead.

sami
10-10-2013, 05:36 AM
I know you are just doing a b&w pen test, and this is a 2d illustration, but I'd love to see some color pen cell shaded stuff like this (your style here reminds me of this):

drako
10-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Hi guys and i m sorry for my late answer.I work on it and be sure that i m going to provide a brief tutorial
just to help the LW community.For the time being just see my process through my videos thank you.
Sami yes it is possible to have a feel just like your image.I m gonna make a test soon just to see.

here is my v2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBE5WmCf1WQ

Thank you guys.

souzou
10-10-2013, 06:38 AM
Looks really good, will be interesting to see how this develops!

Waves of light
10-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Had a quick look at version 1 when I was out and about on my mobile. Now I'm back in the office and it looks a lot better on screen, plus the v2 in colour is interesting. Looks good, keep us updated.

drako
10-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Playing even more with the color and with bump edges.Now i m trying to change the feel and getting
more the feel of watercolor.

see the v3 here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xURgY4GIO0w

Thanks guys....

sami
10-10-2013, 06:34 PM
I really like v2 - the fruit in color with lights and shadows.

v3 is getting there and is cool to see, thanks! Some shots seem a bit too overexposed though, which makes the cel shaded object seem a bit too "shiny." I would love to see a look closer to that gta image art I posted - something which has the varied thick and thin black outlines - not to distract you from what you are doing on your own of course. Getting a node-based ink paint / cel shade / illustrated look that good is the holy grail for me. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

jeric_synergy
10-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks for posting-- don't be afraid to repeat the anims several times, it's good for us to pick things apart!!

drako
10-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Testing ink rendering in LW 11.6 with BESM this time.I was playing with some different styles of outline just for see how the light react with the black shadow and their forms.Of course i use also a mix of edges.
More to come...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvDTcwC1Axw&feature=youtu.be

Afalk
10-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Nice additional video and BESM is such a classic too hehe. Seriously, my favorite is V2 thus far and I'm looking fwd to seeing what you come up with next.

drako
10-20-2013, 04:32 PM
ok some updates but i work on it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9ZYeX5TFbo&feature=youtu.be

Afalk
10-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Nice looking update. I was wondering -- have you taken a look in the 11.5 content directory? There is a folder called Rendering and inside are a set of projects labeled as Edges-InkingTips. Im uploading a couple sample renders from the Raytracing scene. Cool look, and I really like the simple flows... plus seeing cel shaded raytraced mirror surfaces and a magnifying glass effect in action are pretty cool IMO.

Plus, Jen H did a session at Siggraph on cel shading/edges as well that was particularly well done. Link is:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRSGEmLBnw

Hope these provide even more inspiration!

Waves of light
10-21-2013, 03:03 AM
The second truck, with the evenly spaced vertical lines works very well Drako.

allabulle
10-21-2013, 04:35 AM
I love to follow this thread to see the new tests. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The second truck, with the evenly spaced vertical lines works very well Drako.

Yes, I loved that too.

drako
10-21-2013, 05:30 AM
Hi guys and thanks for following the thread.To be
honest Afalk I know and I have see all these links
that you mentioned,but I want to arrive my renders
to another look more organic and more artistic.
I search a look near to watercolor and near to an anime
edges and outline style of Kazuto Nakazawa.
When I finish my research I m going to give to the
community a Lightwave tutorial and also a library with
presets.My research is still in progress.
Thank you all for your help your comments and
even your interest.

DonJMyers
10-21-2013, 11:05 AM
I agree more more longer longer looks very stylish.

Afalk
10-21-2013, 02:13 PM
You're most welcome! I found those places fantastic jumping off points myself - and was happy to be able to share them.

drako
10-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks Afalk all your links are welcome and of course if you find more i like to see them
for getting better results just for share them to all the community.Personnaly i make
researches to other software forums also just for see and other build up shaders.
Now i make builds from simple tools that Lightwave gives.I hope you like my new stuff
that i m going to present maybe tomorrow.

Cheers mate

drako
10-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi guys and thanks for following this thread.New updated video.My research is still in progress.
Thank you all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-LFuNovUCA

Afalk
10-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Those look sharp, I esp. liked that first look.

robertoortiz
10-29-2013, 02:04 PM
These are great tests.
Would it be possible to get a still with a peek of the node tree you used? (like the one in the first video)
(I have project that U need to use this)

Thanks,

-R

Dodgy
10-29-2013, 06:32 PM
I'd like the Halftone shader to have a colour option, as that's a great shader for just banging halftone/cross hatching etc on a surface and not having to set up nodes for it. I've put in a feature request for it but nothing so far.

drako
11-02-2013, 06:47 AM
guys sorry for not answer quick to your questions but i have move my house and my office and i was
with a lot of card boxes so i did not work for about a week.
I m going to make more tests and i m gonna upload some screenshots from my nodes soon.
cheers