PDA

View Full Version : I never have the QT .mov plugin anymore

mdunakin
10-08-2013, 09:38 PM
I never have the QT .mov plugin anymore!
This has been this way now for several versions back to maybe v8 or so, maybe the last time I seen it in LW was even v7.xx??
Been soooo long that I really can't say anymore when the last time was I seen that in the output options window?
People just have said to me in the past, well, Mark, you need to make sure you have QT installed.
Huh, what!!!???
I bought the Pro version ages ago and never had to ever deal with doing anything with that QT stuff, plus the fact that I notice it isn't even a regular QT thingy anyway, it's a plugin, so where do i go to find such a thing AND why on earth am I no longer getting that installed to my LWs???
I use 64bit these days though, so is it just it doesn't work with the 64bit version??
Though from what I see, I think I can't even make use of it in the 32bit version either, but I'll double check, since I only just tonight finally got my LW11.xx software all back up and running properly, due to the great help others in these great forums here, turned out all my LW freezing problems that had been preventing me from even being able to use LW anymore, were all coming from using AVG 2013.
I uninstalled that and installed the Avast instead and now my LWs all work awesomely.

But, back to this current issue, how do I get the .mov option as one of my outputs in, well, in ANY of my LWs to show up so I can use that and output with those formats???

I don't like my other options, I've always have preferred the QT settings for my animation outputs, and yes, I know for normal output of animations, you do it with single frames, but come on, I should be able to also use the QT options like I use to be able to, right?
I know I still hear from other people that have the same modern versions that I have and they all are able to have that option.
Plus, I like to make small little previews with the Viper window too, as that is a great little tool for making fast examples to hurry and show a sample scene or effect.

ok, thanx............md :)

nickdigital
10-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Qt as an output is only available in 32 bit version of LightWave.

benedict_ilagan
10-09-2013, 12:11 AM
But you can still output your animation in QT thru NLE programs such AE, finalcut, nuke etc. but avi is more than enough for LW as playback animation for smaller file size than QT.

mdunakin
10-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Qt as an output is only available in 32 bit version of LightWave.
Ehhhh.... ok, sadly, that was what I figured, EVEN THOUGH, I also have the 64bit version of the QT installed on my puter, you'd think we could be able to use that with LW too, but oh well.
But, yeah, the AVI, is eh, OK-ish, I really don't like the quality of it or anything.
But, I AM making previews, but, I have ALWAYS for the past trillion years since I've been working in LW have also used LW as my animation creation tool, and what I mean by that is, AFTER I make the frame sequences, THEN I have always just used LW, since it's really easy and ten times faster then anything else I have ever used for this, I have loaded in the sequence into LW and then I would use the QT to then render out a final for what ever project I wanted, so, for now, with the 64bit I just used the little Riva Tuner codec and that seems to be a fairly decent quality. I used to see DivX in these things too, but again, maybe that is only a 32bit deal too?

Anyway, ok, thanx for the info, and really I am just soooo happy just having LW NOT freeze on me anymore, or not at all since I changed from AVG to Avast, as was suggested to me in the another thread. LW now works like a charm, been running since yesterday and still no glitches :)

................md :)

digitaldoc
10-09-2013, 10:31 AM
There is no 64-bit version of QuickTime for Windows available from Apple

Tranimatronic
10-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I guess you are on Windows right?
I use ffmpeg and a python script to make h264.movs.
Basically it's a command line tool that does everything youll ever need for image sequence -> movie and movie->imageSequence.
I will post the command line if youd like?

mdunakin
10-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I guess you are on Windows right?
I use ffmpeg and a python script to make h264.movs.
Basically it's a command line tool that does everything you'll ever need for image sequence -> movie and movie->imageSequence.
I will post the command line if you'd like?
Oh! heck yeah I would love that command line thingy!! :)
And would you also, when you post it, be able to just give me a very short on where exactly I go about running the command line and like that?
I mean, do I run it from one of my programs, like LW, or straight out from that Run Command Line thingy that has been in Windows for eternity? LOL
Sorry, been a while since I've done some of them things, so I'm a bit out of that but can easily figure it out again with just a few basic instructions from you on how to run it?
And yeah, everyone, I'm using W7 64bit.
Also, guess I still should always keep my 32bit installed and running, right? I mean, cuz it has most of the plugins I've bought over the years and almost all of them are for the 32bit versions, except of course where the company would make a 64bit later on, such as is with the Worley Labs products, they are/were always good about that sort of thing :)

And I thought I DID have a 64bit version of QT on this system, since when you go to use it sometimes, or something I remember when I first would install it, I would get that message telling me I had to download the 64bit version for Windows, and then you go to their site and indeed there is one right there for 64bit Windows, it just never makes an actual player thingy or anything and I never understand why that is or why I am even being forced into doing such a thing when it sure feels to me like what everyone here says which is that it's really only 64 on the Mac and NOT for Windows?

What a stupid mess they created, they need to just get on with it and make a REAL version for the Windows platform in the QT.
Or if not, like you say here about the command line bit, can't I still get some kind of a program that can just make movies for me on my 64 without having to actually use any QT software?
You know, like to make normal old mpeg4 and so on flicks with?, I mean, movies? LOL

Sure seems like a lot of a headache for something so basic, to me at least it does?

Wonder if there are freebies out there as I am really sick of buying more programs right now. I already have Pinnacle and some other things here, but they take a lot longer to deal with then just the command line or something basic like that or the way I did things with LW in the olden days hahaha
I always wished I could just output straight out from PS, since I am great at using their built-in system, that macro thingy, that thing really rules!
Ive made loads in the past, though I never seem to save them for future use, I guess cuz they are just so easy to whip up I don't bother thinking on saving them, who knows? LOL

ok, I'll be keeping my eye out here for that from you :)
Oh and I finally made my LW crash, at least it wasn't the famous, or should I say, infamous FREEZE that I had been getting it was just a crash and that was after I had been going back and forth a lot between the web and LW and some searching for files on my puter and I think it just got itself lost in the mix along the way?
Who knows?
Either way, longest I've been able to run 11.6 so far, so I'm a very happy camper, AND I got the project saved out and sent and all that to my friend in time anyway.
Was a fire scene.
I can post it if anyone wants the thing?
Not the best work, but it was what she wanted or needed for a simple plane crash hehehe

....................md :)

Tranimatronic
10-09-2013, 02:05 PM
And would you also, when you post it, be able to just give me a very short on where exactly I go about running the command line and like that?

sure!
The script is on my home machine and I'm at work now. I'll post it in this thread tonight.

T

Tranimatronic
10-09-2013, 11:28 PM
1 - download and install ffmpeg
http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html
2 - render some images
3 - press start - at bottom type 'cmd' - command window appears
4 - type :
<PATH/to/ffmpeg/that/you/just/downloaded/and/installed> -y -start_number 45 -f image2 -i <path/to/render/folder/image%03d.tif> -c:v libx264 -crf 18 -pix_fmt yuv420p -r 24 <output/path/filename.mov>
replace items in brackets with paths to relevant paths
press enter
It will make a h264.mov of your rendered images.
Remember - consecutive files (no missing frames). filenames should be /path/to/files/test%03d.tif if you rendered out tifs with 3 digit numbering
the number after "start_number" is the first frame (in the example I started at 45). If zero, you can leave -start_frame out.

Hope this makes sense
T

Tranimatronic
10-10-2013, 12:32 PM
oh... and PS. - ffmpeg is free, and is the ONLY thing that is able to create a prores quicktime on Windows....