PDA

View Full Version : It all went wrong at once!

VDI-Angus
11-14-2003, 09:27 AM
Oh, how I love computers...

First, it gave me a "Page fault in non-paged area" error, which I thought was being caused by my FireWire card. After pulling the card, it booted up, but I had no audio output at all.

Trying to play from the timeline, even blackness, stutters. Everything Toaster-related has switched over to molasses-in-January mode, including screen refresh on the desktop.

Toaster board was running hot, so I used air to cool it down. Got it nice and cool, but it still wouldn't work right.

Replaced the old GeForce 2 MX440 dual-head card with a new 128mb GeForce FX 5200 dual-head. Nice card, but no banana.

Installed W2k SP4, updated to the latest Windows Media Player 9, no banana.

Forced an update of the Toaster core. It was up to date for VT2 b. 3890, which I'm using. No dice.

I'm getting truly desperate here. I can't use the Toaster like this. Any suggestions?

Jim Capillo
11-14-2003, 10:39 AM
How about the rest of your computer specs?

Jim_C
11-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Running nvidia's nview desktop option?
If so, don't.

mgrusin
11-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Was your Toaster running well before this problem?

Sounds like a hardware config problem or failure (somewhere in the video pipe) to me. But software can get munged up too.

Divide and conquer. Are your power supply voltages OK? (BIOS can often show this). Is your CPU still running as fast (and cool) as it should be? (BIOS again). Memory OK? Hard drives running OK? (array and individually?)

Can you try the Toaster card in another system?

If worst comes to worst, pull all hardware not required by the Toaster, and do a clean install of Windows and VT from scratch (if you don't want to erase your system drive the easiest way to try this is to buy a 2nd hard drive and swap them out until you get it working again).

(Faraz once posted the best order in which to install drivers and software, does anyone know where that post went?)

Divide and conquer. Good luck! -MG.

eon5
11-14-2003, 02:39 PM
what about audio... you have an audioboard or audioinmobo?

VToaster board MUST be THE ONLY AUDIO BOARD IN THE SYSTEM.

If you have an audio board... quit it!
If you have audio in mother... go to bios and put it OFF !

hope that help :)

SBowie
11-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by eon5

VToaster board MUST be THE ONLY AUDIO BOARD IN THE SYSTEM.
I hate to post to this thread without really contributing to the problem at hand, but have to point out that I have not found the above to be true by any stretch of the imagination.

eon5
11-14-2003, 07:58 PM
now i undertand that VT3 pc will use another audioboard!
-----------------------
Go to "Start" "Settings" "Control Panel"

Select Sounds and multimedia
Select the "Audio" Tab

Select the settings for your card

With the first tab "Sounds" you can turn off all of the os sounds
with the scheme "no sounds"

The toaster will continue to play all of its' sound from the toaster

If you want streaming in to the toaster
that can be configured in the toaster config menu

Pete

Pete Draves has attached this image: