PDA

View Full Version : game 3D card and graphic 3d card

Dick Ma
11-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Can someone state the difference of game 3D card and graphic 3d card in performance of running Lightwave?

From Tom's hardware guide I see the Quadro 3000 and the Geforce 5900 has the same GPU. So, what is the difference in performance?

I am confused. or someone have an experience before and after changing card?

Mylenium
11-14-2003, 09:27 AM
With the current LW implementation you will see no differences whatsoever. Quadro's handle multiple monitors a bit better (signal quality) but that's all you can expect for the time being. Do not only look for the GPU (which are not really identical)... Quadros have different memory, different burst modes, higher chip clocks and broader data busses. All this will boost their performance up by some percent. Also there are technical precautions to link multiple cards together for large screen projections. However, unless you do extensive real time stuff or handle extremely complex scenes none of the benefits will justify the higher price for you (if you are a private user). This may not be of any importance with LW v8 even though quite likely will have introduced improved OpenGL and DirectX features.

Mylenium

Dick Ma
11-14-2003, 09:33 AM
I just find that price is a GREAT different.

I wonder if I purchase a Quadro FX 1000, or a Geforce FX 5900+

Red_Oddity
11-14-2003, 09:48 AM
Hmmm...the Quadro XGL 980 i'm now working on sure beats every Geforce 4 game card i have had in my computer...offcourse the price is rediqulous of this thing (still is)