PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave not working after install AVG anti-virus

geo_n
10-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Changed from avast to avg. Lightwave 11 not working. Hub is detected as suspicious process. Even adding hub to exception in avg, lightwave launches after a few minutes, its not responding at all. Fix is disabling the hub with -0 switch. :devil:
But this way I can't work with "unified" workflow and can't edit a model loaded in layout and press modeller to edit the model, vice versa, ala psuedo "unified" environment.

Hub is detected as suspicious process. Nice job avg. :thumbsup:

Phil
10-07-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm still surprised when I read of people using the Hub. It's been a source of trouble for me each time I've had it running (locked objects, etc.). Since LW10, there's been IPC - that enables you to load a model into Modeler that is loaded in Layout, make a change and see the result back in Layout. Granted, it doesn't give you the nice drop-down for convenient access from the object list, but it's never given me any grief.

If you run without hub, IPC should be available automatically.

geo_n
10-07-2013, 10:07 AM
The hub is on by default after installing lightwave like the blender rmb select :D

I also make changes more in layout than in modeller when surfacing, lighting, rendering. Don't think ipc updates from layout>modeller. Can it? I always thought its from modeller>layout.
Also I open a scene in layout with dozens of trees, cars, etc which I know not where the sub directory is per model, how do we open them instantly in modeller without the modeller button?

Kryslin
10-07-2013, 10:15 AM
geo_n : I encountered this problem, along with a few others, after the summer 2013 update - there is a thread down in the PC Support area. The solution is not one you're going to like - Get rid of AVG, go back to Avast. Lightwave and AVG simply do not play nice together anymore. And if the problem is still around, AVG doesn't care to fix it.

3DGFXStudios
10-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I've that problem to. I just disabled avg. I don't understand why people hate the hub, I think I'm one of those weirdos that like it :D

geo_n
10-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Went back to avast. I was only up to third pc unininstall install. 2 hours I could have been sleeping :D
This is AVGs problem though not newtek.
Newtek make sticky not to install AVG with lightwave.

Count me in with the wierdos. Without the hub, layout and modeller workflow is crippled. Unless those two questions(off the top of my head) I asked in the last post are possible without the hub.

bobakabob
10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I've that problem to. I just disabled avg. I don't understand why people hate the hub, I think I'm one of those weirdos that like it :D

He he me too. Dare I say the Hub rocks ;)
Seriously, no problems here on W7 64bit with Avast - there are very few issues so why not dump AVG and return to a compatible Antivirus?

3DGFXStudios
10-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Hooray for the hub! :D ;)

Good to know Avast works great with LW. Uninstalling AVG......

ken_g9
10-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Went back to avast. I was only up to third pc unininstall install. 2 hours I could have been sleeping :D
This is AVGs problem though not newtek.
Newtek make sticky not to install AVG with lightwave.

Count me in with the wierdos. Without the hub, layout and modeller workflow is crippled. Unless those two questions(off the top of my head) I asked in the last post are possible without the hub.

What OS are you running? I haven't installed a 3rd party anti-virus since the launch of Windows 7. Used MS Security Essentials and it's good enough, at least for me. Windows 8 comes with that thing pre-installed already. Time to give up AVG or Avast. :P

spherical
10-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Actually, Win8 does not use MSE and it won't run in W8. It has an updated Windows Defender. That said, for all but a basic box, I turn off Defender and Windows Firewall and use ESET Smart Security for its flexibility.

ken_g9
10-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Actually, Win8 does not use MSE and it won't run in W8. It has an updated Windows Defender. That said, for all but a basic box, I turn off Defender and Windows Firewall and use ESET Smart Security for its flexibility.

Oh yeah, forgot it has been renamed. Interface looks identical to the old MSE.

I've heard of good things about ESET before. How flexible is it?

shrox
10-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Sold, downloading.

geo_n
10-09-2013, 09:29 PM
What OS are you running? I haven't installed a 3rd party anti-virus since the launch of Windows 7. Used MS Security Essentials and it's good enough, at least for me. Windows 8 comes with that thing pre-installed already. Time to give up AVG or Avast. :P

7s and 8s.
Can't trust a company av that makes an os that is so prone to viruses so I want a third party av installed :D

spherical
10-10-2013, 01:34 AM
I've heard of good things about ESET before. How flexible is it?

It traps every outgoing/incoming request if you want it to. You can approve/deny each one on a temporary or not quite permanent (sticky -- always reversible) basis, by application/service. Zones are creatable/editable, as are individual rules. On-demand scan of files/directories/archives. Levels of real-time scanning upon events. Too much to go into here.