PDA

View Full Version : Need some design guidance!

whooligun
10-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Im working for a local online news website that recently ventured into the land of the Tricaster. It is new to everyone, and we are all doing a pretty good job of learning the ins and outs and have managed to put on some pretty good morning shows:

http://www.local2.ca/ssm/viewarticle.php?id=12966

I am the graphic designer for this company, and this is my first time design for video. I am trying to learn as much as possible to make our website the best it can be, but there isn;t a ton of Tricaster design info out there. I guess my first question (Im sure there will be a lot more coming!), is about designing a custom set. As you can see from the above link, we did hire out a recent grad with 3ds experience to create our set, and we have figured out the inputs, layer naming in psd, etc. My problem is that, while it looks really good, it doesnt look completely authentic. There are plans for futre sets for future shows, so I was wondering how I could improve my knowledge, to help the sets look as real as possible.

I would like to be able to create them from scratch myself, but do not have access to 3ds. Is it possible (and feasible) to create an entire set in Photoshop, or should I learn 3ds (or something else that will work on my mac)? My main goal is to be able to create realistic sets on my own, quickly and efficiently.

Thanks in advance!

Buddy.Hannon
10-08-2013, 06:59 AM
You can create sets in just photoshop, but it is much easier to create a scene in a 3D program such as Lightwave and then render it out in sections, like the backdrop, and then just the desk or furniture that the 'Talent' will interact with and assemble it in Photoshop when you can add the 'Magic Gradient' for the 'Talent' and for the Input B for the monitor.
This was everything has the same perspective and is more believeable.

One of the issues with your set is the surface textures, if those when more well thought out and applied, your set would look much better. The geometry is nice, but the textures need work.

whooligun
10-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the help. I will look into Lightwave & share your recommendations about the textures. What is the 'Magic Gradient' though?

Buddy.Hannon
10-14-2013, 08:56 AM
That is the Multi-Color gradient image that comes with VSE that you use for the keyable talent layer when named Input A and the keyable monitor layer when you call it Input B