PDA

View Full Version : Camera movement for walking characters? (firsp person view)

AmigaNewTek
10-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Hello,

how to simulate the camera movements for a walking character in first person view?

thank you very much

Ryan Roye
10-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Not too complicated, simply child a camera one of the character rig's head bones. You can squash the head of the character by scaling the bones to zero to get it out of the camera's way.

You may need to utilize a split view to make sure you are getting the visuals and movements that you want the first person view to show.

AmigaNewTek
10-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Not too complicated, simply child a camera one of the character rig's head bones. You can squash the head of the character by scaling the bones to zero to get it out of the camera's way.

You may need to utilize a split view to make sure you are getting the visuals and movements that you want the first person view to show.

Thank you for the reply.

To tell the truth, there are not characters in the scene. I move the camera only through a labyrinth (kinda) and i want to simulate the a walking character behaviour.

Spinland
10-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Just keyframe a slight bobbing motion of the camera in Y and set it to repeat?

hrgiger
10-05-2013, 12:07 PM
a walk is simply more then a bobbing of the head in y motion. to actually move like that in real life youd have to concentate in keeping your head level as you walk- not very natural. there is a subtle roll that occurs as the upper body counter balances the motion of the hips and that motion applies to the head and neck as well. you also have to consider what pace of a walk you want and how long you want the cycle to be.

roboman
10-06-2013, 12:19 PM
I did that once quite a while ago. I couldn't get the motion to look quite right until I did as suggested above and attached the camera to the head of a character and did a basic walk with them. Call it lack of skills or imagination, but it was a simple answer that worked for me.

Netvudu
10-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Mocap might obviously get you closer to the real thing. Apply mocap to a character (or not, simply import the mocap). Parent the camera to its head, and thatīs it. You will probably have to smooth out some stuff afterwards, though, as you might get shots with too much shake or aggressive panning.

Areyos Alektor
10-06-2013, 05:00 PM
You fixed a camera over your head, and after you make the 3D tracking.

You take a demo at "The Pixel Farm" :

http://www.thepixelfarm.co.uk/product.php?productId=PFMatchit

Or if you just want to make a test you can do with "Icarus" :

http://www.colinlevy.com/tuts/IcarusTutorials/Icarus.php

You can't make more realistic ;)