PDA

View Full Version : Collada exporter from LightWave 11.6

scross
10-04-2013, 04:16 PM
First of all, if this is not the correct location on these forums for this post, please redirect me.

To whom it may concern.

I'm a long time user of LightWave and I've recently upgraded from 8.5 to 11.6.
I'm having difficulty with the pivot placement in Modeler.
In Modeler, I set up a simple cube, translate it off center, placing the pivot along one edge and export it as a Collada file.
When I bring the exported file into just about any other DCC app, the pivot is not where I had placed it.

I've searched the forums already and have been in touch with another user who wrote a script that strips out most of what is being written into the .DAE file.
That thread can be found here;
Forum, LightWave 3D Technique Discussions, LW - Third Party, Collada Fixes
Sample files are included.

Part of the result of that discussion, was not to set pivots in Modeler(which the help system says I should), but to set the edge of the cube at the origin, then move the piece back out to where I wanted it. Once exported from Layout, the part seems to rotate correctly about the pivot.
This is fine when all I have is a cube on one layer, but when I have a model that has 20 or 30 layers, this method simply won't do.

I should not have to go through this method.
I could use PolyTrans and re-export the file using what they call "anti pivot transformation nodes", but this should just work correctly from the start in LightWave Modeler, regardless of whether this is a single or multi-layered and parented model.

I just want to be able to export a Collada file out of Modeler and have the pivot remain where I placed it.

One other small discrepancy is:
I model in units set to the metric system.
The units declared in a Collada model that is exported from Modeler are 1.0
The units declared in a Collada model that is exported from Layout are 0.01

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for you time.

Cordially,

Scott

spherical
10-04-2013, 10:19 PM
I concur on the Move Pivot workflow being Borked. I stayed in LW, sending models to Layout, and it was a disaster. Had set up a number of doors in an architectural model, so that they would pivot on their hinges. Load the model into Layout and the doors went flying all over the place! There were a lot of doors and identifying which went where was daunting. I got them all relocated and it all seemed fine. Next time I opened the scene, Deja Vu all over again. Moving a pivot in that version of Layout (no idea if this has improved in recent versions) took forever. For some reason, the pivot would only move so fast and no faster. This seems a basic function that should just work; no matter whether you move a pivot in Modeler or Layout.