PDA

View Full Version : What is the biggest risk you ever took?

akaracquel
10-04-2013, 06:28 AM
I'm facing another big regional exodus / house move, soon. The property upon which life has said a big {YES-YOU-GOTTA-TRY&APPLY!} to ...is off the grid. Powered by solar & wind, with backup petrol gen. Runs on tank & bore water too. I have no idea how the garbage is managed, because the front gate is about 1km away from the house. If I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the place.

It would be a freaky move, because we have my husband's workshop to transport, which includes a lathe! (but hey, we've moved that shop twice already!) The house is currently furnished, so I have no idea of how 'our stuff' could even fit atm! <quadroople facepalms with her feet as well> This landlord wants to sell, so we are facing the possibility having to agree to a 3month lease. Although there may be room to negotiate this, it doesn't give my family much security at all ...BUT, dat's where me see da wombat holes! Dey looks like little midget Hobbits living inside The Shire and seeing their poop all over the manicured garden, made me happeeeeeee and that's where/why/how, I caught The Crazy Wombat Fever! ((*v*))

The concept of such a move does freak me out, but life's sayin' "GO FOR IT!". After spending some time reading quotes on the subject of taking risks, I'm hearing more "yes ..yes ...YES!" pennies starting to drop and I have been finding myself feeling less terrified each day. It was only from a conversation that I had with someone recently, that made me realise the kind of freaky house move I would be putting my hand up for, would actually be quite an easy doddle for others who have taken much bigger risks than me. Anywayz - I found that conversation really fruitful in terms of the way it helped me re-frame, help change the way I could look at things, so I wanted to hurl the subject of risk-taking in here, out of curiosity :)

What was/is, the biggest, scariest, crazy or most memorable risk you ever took? What happened? Did life change significantly after that decision, or did it remain stagnant? Did you run into any unexpected opportunities along the way?

Danner
10-04-2013, 07:00 AM
I was offered a job in Spain. A month later I was on a transatlantic flight. I left my family, truck, motocross bike, all of my electronic equipment, basically everything I owned, behind. Went from a city with millions to a town of a thousand. It was supposed to be a temporary thing... been here 5 years. I miss my family and friends but other than that it's been great, the place is beautiful, the work pays well and is challenging and interesting.

bazsa73
10-04-2013, 07:20 AM
I moved to Finland from Hungary 11 years ago and last year I returned. It was quite an experience from the cozy warm pusta to the land of snow, forests and silent people. At least we share some linguistic roots. Learning, talking and thinking in finnish felt more natural than english or german would have.
I dont regret at all. Finns are really honest and straight people, I would be poorer without this adventure.

Slartibartfast
10-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Some say, on your last day: you won't regret what you've done. Only what you didn't do.
I like that philosophy. Do things you wanna do! Don't do stuff that you are "supposed to do" if you don't like it. Of course one can't live by that device to a 100%, I mean you must do certain things like paying bills and stuff, but I've turned the knob a little more towards 100% than before, and I haven't regret that :-)
Other people find it frustrating initially, but they get used to it :D

digitaldoc
10-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Moved to Maui 5 weeks after job offered. Great move!

RudySchneider
10-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Interesting dilemma. Or is it?

I'm certainly no expert, but when it comes to risk, I always think about what's the worst that could happen. If I can manage that possibility (assuming it's not a fait accompli), then I go for it. Of course, these sorts of decisions get tougher the older we get, because of our ability to accommodate and handle the risk.

The mere fact that you're considering this move means that it's intriguing to you. If the intrigue, and the potential for challenges and their rewards is greater than your fear, then your decision is obvious. Besides, as Slartibartfast pointed out, "...you won't regret what you've done. Only what you didn't do."

In the middle of last year, I'd been unemployed for roughly 20 months. The mortgage on my home was becoming more and more difficult to pay. My lady friend and I got to talking about the possibility of each of us selling our homes, and combining the income from each to purchase a (more affordable) place outright, so we'd both be out from beneath a mortgage. I was quite apprehensive of "letting go" and moving away from my comfortable --- but in need of repair and still-remaining mortgage payments --- home, but we worked the numbers, and it seemed to make sense.

I put savings into repairing my place for ready sale, and we moved "over the hill" from the hubbub of Silicon Valley last December. We purchased a great place among the redwoods, and absolutely love it. And, after 27 months being unemployed, I finally landed a contract job this past March, which I hope I can ride out for another two and a half years, so I can retire at 66.

Life is a risk. But it's how you face those risks and challenges that determines the quality you obtain from having lived it.

Whoa, did I just say that? Heavy...

JonW
10-04-2013, 04:56 PM
I am a landlord but actually look after my tenants! If you haven't done so look at NSW Fair Trading so you know your rights. Phone them if you have any other questions not answered on their website they are very helpful people which is more than you can say for a lot of other government departments.

Scariest thing I ever did was buy my own property in 1989 with mortgage rate at 17%. Also the best thing I ever did!

Also, look at Fair Trading for all the information on buying a property.

akaracquel
10-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Surprised to see cool stories connected to moving/property :thumbsup: Hoping my own initial ramble didn't influence that, so it made me wonder if moving/house - could possibly be one of those things that ranks high for people with regards to taking big risks, in general?

I'm certainly no expert, but when it comes to risk, I always think about what's the worst that could happen. If I can manage that possibility (assuming it's not a fait accompli), then I go for it. Of course, these sorts of decisions get tougher the older we get, because of our ability to accommodate and handle the risk.

Yep… thought I was the over-cautious/play-it-safe type, where this would be The Norm for me as well, but it's made me think twice about that recently as my family's been living a fringe lifestyle for so long already.

The rental market has become unreasonably hostile here and I know the people who want to sell are facing similar blood baths of their own to deal with as well. Feels like mortgage & rental stress, is causing people to consider pushing their envelopes of comfort a lot harder, making them confront the fear which is tied to their usual level/style of weighing up the risks as you've mentioned. Agents are no longer allowing for fixed terms on leases that are longer than 6-12 months in this area now. Have needed to move The Lathe every 12-18 months twice because of that already and it's the 3rd time of needing to vacate a property due to "house for sale" in the mountains, (even if it's a lie), so the prospect of needing to move-shop every 3 months, makes it all the more amusing to me now. Instead of hosting a humble house-warming party, I feel inclined to host a Lathe Raising festival instead :ohmy:

Some say, on your last day: you won't regret what you've done. Only what you didn't do. I like that philosophy.

Thanks Slartibartfast, this is a good one. It would be a deep regret that I didn't try to give life with the wombats, a shot ((*v*)) \m/

@JohnW - during 1989, *WOW* - you brave heart! I remember Keating's voice towards 1991 so vividly! ^_^

FWIW - have enjoyed the kinds of articles being posted at Advanced Riskology - Better Living through Uncertainty (http://advancedriskology.com/).

spherical
10-06-2013, 04:57 AM
What was/is, the biggest, scariest, crazy or most memorable risk you ever took? What happened? Did life change significantly after that decision, or did it remain stagnant? Did you run into any unexpected opportunities along the way?

Well, I have a number of them. I'll cover a couple or three, each in a separate post. Seems, in retrospect, I'm something of a risk taker. Not reckless, by any means but, as I often say: "I take chances, I don't gamble. There's a difference."

While preparing our Camaro to run at the Nationals, out of the blue I was invited by Mark Donohue, who was looking down through the engine compartment at me on a creeper below, to come to the 21 Club in New York City the week following; where they were going to announce their participation in the Can-Am series. A bit of an odd circumstance, to say the least. This was a scary prospect. Who am I to go there!? I mulled it over during the week and still hadn't decided. It was a bit of cash to spend that I didn't have and jaunts like this to expensive digs like the 21 Club weren't in my comfort zone by a long shot—at least not then.

I awoke on the day that the annoncement would be happening and just lay there flipping back and forth on whether to go or not. Finally, a voice said: "At the next 'OK, I'll go.' get up." I did. Called for a plane reservation and there was one seat left. That was my "switch". If there wasn't a seat, I wasn't meant to go. I booked it, got packed and went to the airport. Three hours later, I was entering the 21 Club with my luggage in hand. A bit embarrassing, but I didn't know what else to do with it. The doorman graciously collected my bag and directed me upstairs.

All of the big sports writers and media professionals were in attendance. Cameras everywhere. Mark came over as soon as he saw me at the door, extended his hand in greeting and yanked it away at the last second, as he always does. We laughed. I glanced over his shoulder as we talked and saw that all eyes were on us, accompanied by a lot of murmuring. I told him what was going on behind him and a mischievous gleam came in his eye. He said: "You know what to do." He was a practical joker, so I got the drift. I knew that they had all seen me somewhere but couldn't place exactly where or who I was. Not wishing to offend me, all through lunch guarded probing questions were being asked, trying to get a clue to who I am and why I was there, without giving away that they didn't know. I replied with "specifically vague", but still very knowledgeable, answers; which only served to heighten their curiosity. Drove them nuts.

After the announcement and festivities had concluded and the crowd had dispersed, Mark came over and I filled him in on the fun. He then said that I should call Mary Ann at the race shop next week. I asked about this and he said: "Well, you're going to have to get up to speed on how this Turbocharged 917K Porsche works, 'cuz yer comin' with us."
117512 117513
I had already been vetted, without knowing it. All I had to do was have the guts to show up and I was hired by Penske Racing. That year we not only captured the Can-Am championship away from McLaren but we scored our first Indianapolis 500 win. Sometimes, you just have to take the leap.

djwaterman
10-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Well FK me, that story should end this post. Can't imagine anything topping that.

akaracquel
10-06-2013, 08:58 AM
....but spherical said there's ....EVEN MOAR! :D

Awesome! Yes Please, and looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

Intrigued by how you mentioned "Seems, in retrospect" too, spherical.

Tzan
10-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I was on a cross country bicycle trip.
My bike was loaded down with camping gear.
I rode down mountains in the rockies at speeds up to 55 mph without touching the brakes.
I came 1" away from being dead a few times, but.... spoiler alert..... I lived, no crashes.

akaracquel
07-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Thank you again, to everyone who shared their experiences in this thread. The stories helped me feel less-terrified, even though the fears I had to face - didn't actually go away at the time :) If only I had known how [omg-wow] life was going to be on the otherside of a move like this one? Would I have chosen to do things differently?

Maybe, but probably not. Things panned out, the way they needed to pan out.

Reflecting on how there were so many unknown variables of risk attached to this move. I was not able to weigh them all up or tangibly calculate so many of them in advance. Quite a handful of unexpected things-we-just-had-to-deal-with-on-the-fly, happened after the move as well. The catalyst of choosing to go for it, was pretty much a case of "There really is no other choice".

In hindsight, I now realise that life was screaming YES so loudly at me, because the positives were so deeply compelling. The positives, also ended up exceeding my expectations, in ways I couldn't imagine.

I won't forget that YES [you NEED to do this!] feeling.

I find it easier to opt for "NO" - if there is the absence of a compelling YES like that now.

Whenever I see a wombat here, it feels like I'm being cuddled by a hug that is the size of the giant marshmallow man in Ghostbusters, which can sometimes last for 12-16 hours! :ohmy:

I love that.

It was worth it :D \m/

saranine
07-11-2014, 10:49 PM
I am taking my biggest life risk right now. I have spent a lot of money on software such as Lightwave and Maxwell. I am putting all of my time and effort into being successful at 3D anything. My running joke is "if it is a 3D shape and it flips, moves, turns upside down or anything else then I will make it into something billable".

:)