PDA

View Full Version : Time offset in instances - not doing anything AT ALL!

stib
10-04-2013, 12:27 AM
I've tried a couple of different methods. Here's my test scene. The instanced object has animated bones as well as movement on the x and z channels.
if I slide the Time Offset slider I expect to see the instances move uniformly through their animated motions, but nothing happens. If I apply a texture I'd expect the texture to affect the time offset of the instances separately, but nothing happens; and lastly if I use nodes with the instance info > fixed random output multiplied by the length of the animation into the Time Offset input I'd expect to see a random amount of time offset, but, you guessed it, nothing happens.

Am I doing something schtoopid, or is Time offset broken on mac?

117474 using texture

117475 using nodes

dpont
10-04-2013, 01:38 AM
As I can see you checked 'W' for world coordinates,
Time Offset works with 'P' for parent coordinates,
(aka 'Timing World' in DP Instancer).

Denis.

stib
10-04-2013, 01:50 AM
Ah, I see. Thanks. But no offset of the timing on the bones. Is that not possible?

pinkmouse
10-04-2013, 02:34 AM
If you're trying this on 11.6, go back to 11.5 and see if it works there. Nodal motion in 11.6 is very iffy ATM. I've fogged two errors already that I managed to boil down to repeatable cases, one with gradients and one with curves, and there is a timing issue I had as well that I haven't quite pinned down yet.

dpont
10-04-2013, 03:19 AM
Ah, I see. Thanks. But no offset of the timing on the bones. Is that not possible?

Bones are displacement, this works only for transformation, moving/rotating/scaling.

Denis.

Chrusion
10-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Would baking displacement (bones, morphs) of the one instanced object to MDD and then deleting all bones/morphs and applying MDD Pointer work?

dpont
10-13-2013, 12:30 AM
Would baking displacement (bones, morphs) of the one instanced object to MDD and then deleting all bones/morphs and applying MDD Pointer work?

Baked displacement is still displacement
and LW Instancing takes the reference mesh object at current time only,
you need to add a list of the same reference object with various offset displacement
and a kind of random selection.
In Layout the global MeshInfo provides geometry data for current time too,
but provides info more than MDD necessary for shading,
volumetric instancers like DP Instance use their own proprietary format
for baking geometry, slower to bake but faster to render for instances,
more practical for programming speed and offset based on frame.

Denis.