PDA

View Full Version : Who uses dual monitors and how beneficial is it in LW?

hrgiger
10-03-2013, 08:47 AM
So I will probably be purchasing a new system next week and I have that sorted out but I'm wondering about display. I don't know whethere I want to go with a larger single monitor or smaller dual displays. Was just wondering if people who use dual display could give me their impressions on using LW with 2 monitors. Up front- I have no interest in working with modeler and Layout open simultaneously in most every case so that's not a consideration when making this decision. Just wondering if there is enough benefit to doing so. I wouldn't mind also seeing some screen shots of dual display setups. Thanks.

Sensei
10-03-2013, 08:54 AM
In mine case, on the left monitor on-line stock market data & share prices are showed, while right monitor I am using for other purposes, LW or C/C++ compiler..

I bought them in the same time, exactly the same model, with dual-monitor workflow in mind.

OnlineRender
10-03-2013, 09:12 AM
I dont think I could work with 1 monitor now ... that and there is not enough space for all my desktop crap :P

kosmodave
10-03-2013, 09:13 AM
I used to have a twin monitor set-up which I actually prefer but have had to drop to a single 28 inch monitor to save space. It was very useful being able to size modeler so that it totally filled my left hand screen, and placing the numerical/layer dialogue windows down the left hand side of the right monitor. This gave me maximum space for the four modeling viewports and have the numerical window close at hand without having it cover any of the screen that I needed to see. Also you can have any other assets such as reference images or training videos running on the remaining screen space of the right hand monitor whilst working.

Now although I have saved some space by dropping down to a single monitor I find I end up with my laptop on by the side of me all the time performing the tasks that the second monitor was used for taking up more space. So for me if I could afford it I would get another monitor and go back to dual screen.

Dave.

Ryan Roye
10-03-2013, 09:14 AM
I prefer a single monitor but have a second semi-broken "junker" on my desk which I occasionally use for Lightwave's graph editor or reference images.

Just me, but I'd say go with the single larger monitor versus two smaller ones. I'd rather not turn my neck just to look at something I'm working on directly.

geo_n
10-03-2013, 09:14 AM
I use two monitors. One for work and the other for watching and surfing. :D
Bigger display is better for me. I can put lw and its panels in one screen for easy access and use allsnap to snap lw panels even graph editor and scene editor.
Did try dual monitor with modeller and layout per screen but moving my head constantly every sec left and right got tiring.

meatycheesyboy
10-03-2013, 09:16 AM
I have alternated between two and three monitor setup for awhile and find that more monitors definitely have diminishing returns. In Lightwave specifically, one monitor is the way to go for me. I know a lot of people like to put the main interface on one screen and their panels on the second screen but in LW I find this to be confusing because of the duplicate panels in Layout and Modeler. For example, I used to put modeler on monitor one with Modeler's surface editor on monitor 2 with Layout on monitor 1 with Layout's surface editor on monitor 2. I stopped using this setup because I would constantly click on the wrong surface editor (unless I had them stacked on one another really well) which would bring the wrong program into focus and cause me to be momentarily confused. So, for me, one big monitor trumps two monitors in Lightwave. Dual monitors have other uses though and are really useful for other programs.

phillydee
10-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Hey HR, I use 3. Like you, I don't have Modeler and Layout open simultaneously. In my case, each monitor is slightly different in resolution. My primary being a very nice NEC that does 1920x1200. My secondary monitor is pretty small, so it's more of a utility screen. I like having my node editor open in the smaller screen, it's been nice to see nodes with a maximized node editor. Also sometimes I move my scene editor there (non-classic) and maximize it while I work, mainly for selection and locking, hiding, etc. That seems to work pretty well. The 3rd monitor is a Cintiq, so I've configured a separate batch of configs for Layout on the Cintiq so that it runs in that screenspace as well as slightly modified menu/key configs etc.

I think with the ability to detach VPR now I could see having two monitors a big plus. I've yet to try the 11.6 beta as I haven't had time but have seen the screenshots of VPR detached and that would be a workflow I would definitely explore.

I usually have other things open (PDFs of storyboards, spreadsheets of shot lists etc) in the smaller window as well which help. I also use Shotgun (online tracking software) so having that open all the time in the 2nd monitor is really great as well.

I recently started using Gridy, a macro-based window position recall program that runs in windows. It's really handy as I can swap different windows in and out of each monitor, not to mention help keep Lightwave's different windows positioned correctly where I want them etc.

pinkmouse
10-03-2013, 10:17 AM
I use two monitors. One for layout, and the other for nodal stuff. Having a nice big node editor window means keeping track of complex networks is much easier.Not so fussed in Modeller.

akademus
10-03-2013, 10:25 AM
At work two, at home one 27" mainly because two of these wont fit on the desk. When I get bigger desk I'll get another one probably

digitaldoc
10-03-2013, 10:27 AM
I use 2 monitors and would hate to go back to 1.
I keep the layers, stats and numeric panel open on the second with modeler.
With layout, the second monitor is invaluable for graph editors, morphs, node/surface editor and the scene editor(s).
Main monitor is 27", 2nd is 24"
Best of luck with your system.

Danner
10-03-2013, 10:47 AM
I used to use two 19 inch, now I feel more comfortable on a single 27" with 2560 x 1440 resolution.

Doctor49152
10-03-2013, 10:57 AM
I have 3 monitors. Central one is a 27inch Dell running at 2560x1440 and two monitors (one on either side) running 1680x1050. Main monitor has both Modeler and Layout. Most floating panels are on the right hand side screen with the node editor running on the left screen. All 3 screens are running off a single 2gb 680 GTX (with a displayport adapter for one screens connection). I have 2 other video cards (both 4gb 770 GTX) for GPU rendering in octane.

It's a great setup because I can have a video player running on one screen and I can scrub back and forth and still not block LW in any way. Or a tutorial or webpage open while VPR or Octane is refining on the main.

I will say my biggest problem (and only one) is when I keep either the surface editor or image editor open in both LW and Modeler. When I click on the wrong one I end up switching apps and it kind of throws a small wrench into my brain for a few seconds.

MarcusM
10-03-2013, 11:03 AM
I using three monitors - 2x dell 1920x1080 and central is dell 2560x1440. Left for reference materials/internet browser/Layout, central for Modeler/Unity/PS etc. right i have set up vertial for all panels ;]

stiff paper
10-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Two Dell 21" 4:3 monitors at home. I used to have a single 30" monitor at work. Until I used the 30" I would have said I just wouldn't know how to get by now with a single monitor. Surprisingly, I found the single 30" monitor was just as good to use as my two 21s at home. In fact... when my home monitors die, which they will eventually, I'm hoping I'll have the spare cash to replace them with a single 30".

Once you've gotten used to having a second screen for the scene editor or graph editor in Layout, and numeric, statistics, vertex maps and layers windows in Modeler, you'll never be able to go back. Not without hating it, at least.

hrgiger
10-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks so far for all the feedback. I'm currently using a 27" acer and its been a nice monitor but sometimes I am aching for a little more screen real estate. I'm leaning towards the dual monitor setup. I think 3 or more would be too much and I wouldn't have room for 3 anyway without getitng a new desk. I like my glass desk which came from Sharper Image and they are no longer around.

richhelvey
10-03-2013, 11:28 AM
There are some nice and cheap Korean 2560x1440 monitors available if you do a bit or searching. They've typically only got one input and minimal brightness/contrast controls, but they're a fantastic deal. I've got one at home, and it was a good buy. Here at work, I'm using a dell 30" and an apple 30". The dell is turned 90 degrees and in portrait mode which works well for web pages, emails, or other things I need to keep track of. My main lightwave windows are on the Apple, but all the editor windows typically get pushed over to the vertical Dell. It works well, though it took a bit of getting used to. Plus it freaks people out when they come in my office. :)

inkpen3d
10-03-2013, 11:29 AM
I use two monitors as well (both being NEC MultiSync EA232WMi, which have very nice picture quality but are reasonably cheap) and I am one of those weird people who often work with Modeler and Layout open at the same time on different screens. ;)

However, when working with just one of these applications, for example Layout, I find that having the main window open on one monitor and the graph or node editor window open full-size on the other is a huge time saver - I can make changes in the given editor whilst seeing the effect instantly on the other screen without having to flip back and forth between windows. Having these editors full screen also gives me plenty of room to see large node networks or makes the editing/controlling of graph points a lot easier.

On other occasions I might, for example, be re-rendering specific frames or working on stills for a video, in which case I'll have my video editor application open on one screen and Layout or Photoshop open on the other screen.

Regards,
Peter

Surrealist.
10-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah monitor space is crucial. Can't go wrong with two. I use a lot of reference images and I don't know what I'd do without the extra real estate. I don't think it matters what app you are using, you always need the space.

nickdigital
10-03-2013, 12:05 PM
I like the dual monitor setup because it's easier for me to visually separate my apps/windows. At home I have one big monitor and not having that physical separator between monitors makes my workflow feel more cramped than when I'm at work.

allabulle
10-03-2013, 02:40 PM
I use two 24" HP monitors and use them like everyone here said (depending on the task at hand I use them one way or another). But, when I use the Wacom Tablet for long hours I find myself wanting a bigger single screen rather than two reasonably sized ones. Using all the interface on two monitors is not that ideal if your input device is a Wacom.

I use a small S size intuos5 and an L intuos4 depending on the job at hand, yet even the large one is not ideal if you're going to map both monitors to the surface of the tablet. So I end up using the Wacom mapped to only one screen. That makes certain tasks or workflows less ideal since I have to drop the pen and grab the mouse and back again when I need to access the second monitor. In those instances, when I still prefer to keep using the Wacom, a bigger monitor would trump two. In fact, regardless of resolution and size, a single monitor setup would be preferable.

If not in the situation when using the Wacom is a no-brainer, I really really really prefer the dual monitor setup.

I hope I made myself confusing. :)

PS: the TAB key is fantastic to quickly get rid of all the panels and bringing them back again in LightWave. I wish other software did that too. Not having floating panels makes real estate on the screen a problem. So LightWave and TAB key are super friendly if used on a single monitor and a Wacom. I figure you might already know that, but it's so useful that I wanted to state it nonetheless.

allabulle
10-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Anyone remembers Lewis' setup? I think he has a 30" monitor in the center and a vertical 24" on each side. I always wandered how would it be to work like that worlflow wise.

pinkmouse
10-03-2013, 02:50 PM
..Using all the interface on two monitors is not that ideal if your input device is a Wacom.

Yup, you'd have thought it was a no-brainer for Wacom to produce a double width pad for dual monitor setups...

allabulle
10-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Yup, you'd have thought it was a no-brainer for Wacom to produce a double width pad for dual monitor setups...

Well, I have a button mapped to switch monitor, but I rather ALT+TAB to the application in the background. It's almost that, but no.

Sometimes it's useful to watch one app window while editing on the other so... Well, plenty of options, but none ideal in that scenario. If most of my workflows involve the need of Wacom and single monitor, I'd buy a big monster monitor today. I can't see myself using a super long Wacom, but hey, who knows given the chance.

stiff paper
10-03-2013, 04:00 PM
If not for the fact that Wacom's driver development has often been frankly hideous, somebody could suggest to them that it shouldn't be all that difficult to have a simple keyboard shortcut that toggles the tablet mapping between 2 different screens...

allabulle
10-03-2013, 04:06 PM
By default (if I'm not mistaken) you have a button on the tablet itself that does that. If not, you can map it to do so. Still, in practice, it's not as fluid as one might expect. Not for me, at least. Although I use it often, I'm not yet comfortable in the way it works.

VIDandCGI
10-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I use a dual monitor setup on most of my machines, recently however I have to admit one thing Ive found on the Mac setup is I love having the iPad used for all my numerical panels etc. as I don't need them to be displayed on such a huge screen.

hrgiger
10-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I use two 24" HP monitors and use them like everyone here said (depending on the task at hand I use them one way or another). But, when I use the Wacom Tablet for long hours I find myself wanting a bigger single screen rather than two reasonably sized ones. Using all the interface on two monitors is not that ideal if your input device is a Wacom.

I use a small S size intuos5 and an L intuos4 depending on the job at hand, yet even the large one is not ideal if you're going to map both monitors to the surface of the tablet. So I end up using the Wacom mapped to only one screen. That makes certain tasks or workflows less ideal since I have to drop the pen and grab the mouse and back again when I need to access the second monitor. In those instances, when I still prefer to keep using the Wacom, a bigger monitor would trump two. In fact, regardless of resolution and size, a single monitor setup would be preferable.

If not in the situation when using the Wacom is a no-brainer, I really really really prefer the dual monitor setup.

I hope I made myself confusing. :)

PS: the TAB key is fantastic to quickly get rid of all the panels and bringing them back again in LightWave. I wish other software did that too. Not having floating panels makes real estate on the screen a problem. So LightWave and TAB key are super friendly if used on a single monitor and a Wacom. I figure you might already know that, but it's so useful that I wanted to state it nonetheless.

Hmm, something to consider. I use a Wacom(Intuos 4) for Zbrush.

JonW
10-03-2013, 06:24 PM
From left to right:
Lightwave 24" (9500GT) + 30" (GTX280) & 30" for everything else.

Lucky Lightwave!

shadowshifter
10-03-2013, 07:00 PM
I have three (one's the 27" screen from the iMac at 2560x1440, an old 21" Acer monitor at 1680x1050 and a 12" Cintiq at 1280x800). Modeler goes on the Cintiq (so does Sculptris when I'm using it, also GIMP canvas and the navigator full screened on the 27" because I CAN :D), panels on the 21", Layout (if texuring/rigging/animating/all of the above if I'm feeling particularly sadomasochistic) on the 27". I tend to overlay the duplicate panels from Modeler and Layout on top of each other. Top right button on the Cintiq is a screen switcher.

I actually get annoyed when I lose a screen like when I'm home for the holidays and only have laptop and Cintiq and CAN'T WORK UNDER THESE CONDITIONS when there's just the one :) (#firstworldproblems much)

This is pretty much what it looks like though I've swapped the two larger screens around for I can't remember what reason, probably because the iMacs have stupid shortarse power cables.

ps JonW you have a lot of mice XD and a big swatch thingi.

spherical
10-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Two ViewSonics. A VX2453 and a VX2753; both running on two boxes—32-bit and 64-bit. Layout is fullscreen on the left, with its panels on the right. Modeler is fullscreen on the right with its panels on the left. Alt-tab or click brings the application and all of its panels to the front, while I can still see most of the background application's main window past the panels.

Lewis
10-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Thanks so far for all the feedback. I'm currently using a 27" acer and its been a nice monitor but sometimes I am aching for a little more screen real estate. I'm leaning towards the dual monitor setup. I think 3 or more would be too much and I wouldn't have room for 3 anyway without getitng a new desk. I like my glass desk which came from Sharper Image and they are no longer around.

Naaaaahh, 3 is exactly right amount,esp for modeling :). I usually use central one for modeling, left one for reference photos, right one for renders/skype/widgets/PDF reading... and everything else what needs to be on screen sometime.
Here is my setup of 4960*1600 resolution (20"pivot + 30" + 20"pivot)

BeeVee
10-04-2013, 02:33 AM
Two screens for me too - essential for writing the manuals/coursework for my students and having LightWave on the other screen. When I'm on the laptop at school I often attach a second monitor that is either for me or to dupe my screen for the students.

B
PS. No pics. My desk's a shameless mess that I need to sort, not Lewis' ascetic monastery.

geo_n
10-04-2013, 03:09 AM
Nice setup Lewis. The side monitors look like they line up with the big monitor.

JonW
10-04-2013, 03:49 AM
Naaaaahh, 3 is exactly right amount,esp for modeling :). I usually use central one for modeling, left one for reference photos, right one for renders/skype/widgets/PDF reading... and everything else what needs to be on screen sometime.

You have to remount the right Dell so you can rotate the logo to the outside!

Other than that nitpicking, Very nice!

I use my right monitor for reference material so I can have it visible while working with Lightwave as well as a background layer sometimes. In the old days architects sent me real drawings & not PDFs.

Waves of light
10-04-2013, 03:54 AM
Dual monitors, I just couldn't go back to one. I have my main viewports for modeler and layout on one screen and menus on the other, using ALT+F1 to drop menus whenever I need to be viewing the whole of my second monitor (which shows Internet, Ref pics, PS, etc.)

Both monitors sit on a custom build shelf so that my keyboard and mouse can fit underneath, should I need to use my small Wacom tablet (which I only tend to use for PS and 3DCoat).

Excuse the mess:

Lewis
10-04-2013, 04:14 AM
Nice setup Lewis. The side monitors look like they line up with the big monitor.

Yeah that ways key thing for me since pivoted 20" has 1600pixels down also so they lineup with 2560*1600 of 30" so there is no odd jump in cursor when going from one to another, it's all smooth and at same level pixel to pixel :).

Waves of light
10-04-2013, 04:16 AM
Yeah that ways key thing for me since pivoted 20" has 1600pixels down also so they lineup with 2560*1600 of 30" so there is no odd jump in cursor when going from one to another, it's all smooth and at same level pixel to pixel :).

Sweet setup.

Cageman
10-04-2013, 07:11 AM
I use three monitors at home. Got it setup today and it is quite nice to have things this way. :) If I need to go fullscreen on the Graph Editor, I just doubleclick on the top broad border, and when done, I do the same again to get it back to where it is in the screenshot.

The overview of important things regarding both animation and rendering is there for my eyes to see. Clicking has been reduced to almost zero when it comes to access information.

I like it! :)

3dworks
10-04-2013, 07:14 AM
dual setup here - 2 identical eizo 24" coloredge monitors. beneficial for LW, but also for PS, AE and so many other programs. once you're used to it you won't get back!

djlithium
10-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Three monitors here.
1 47" LG OLED 3DTV
2 23" Toshiba LCD monitors.

I cannot tell you how awesome it is.

phillydee
10-04-2013, 11:01 AM

Lewis I love your fan controller... shame my tower doesn't really fit under my desk. Great monitor setup too...

cheers

allabulle
10-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Three monitors here.
1 47" LG OLED 3DTV
2 23" Toshiba LCD monitors.

I cannot tell you how awesome it is.

So you have to use a kick scooter to go from one monitor to the other? :)

nickdigital
10-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Psh to your monitor setup...I'm more impressed at how clean your desk is! :D

I've got post-its with sketches and notepads with notes all over my desk, pencils and pens everywhere!

Waves of light
10-04-2013, 12:55 PM

I've got post-its with sketches and notepads with notes all over my desk, pencils and pens everywhere!

Thank goodness it's not just me then. Then again, I know that pic of Lewis' desk was taken a while ago ;)

Nicolas Jordan
10-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Here's my somewhat modest dual monitor setup for the time being. I have a Asus G74 Laptop with an older 19" LG monitor hooked up on the side. I hope to get an all new desktop machine and monitors next year sometime.

hrgiger
10-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Sweet setup Elvis. Are you using dual video cards or does your card support 3 displays?

spherical
10-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Psh to your monitor setup...I'm more impressed at how clean your desk is!

And there's NO CAT!

Don't be fooled. All of the cruft that is normally there is briefly on the floor during the shoot.

spherical
10-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Here's my somewhat modest dual monitor setup for the time being. I have a Asus G74 Laptop with an older 19" LG monitor hooked up on the side. I hope to get an all new desktop machine and monitors next year sometime.

I sort of went the other way around in using a laptop. Had two monitors but they were attached to old tech CPU motherboards; one a single CPU Athlon & the other a dual. Did OK but the laptop had a faster 64-bit dual core CPU, so I'd do my modeling and test renders on the 2 CPU box and then when I was ready to render either a print-rez still or animation, I'd transfer everything to the laptop and let it work all night.

Since then, only a few months ago, I built two new current tech workstations; one running 64-bit OS and the other running 32-bit. It was time....

madno
10-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Two displays here.
I could go with one maybe, but only if somebody forces me to decide "either the coffee cup or the second display".
And even then I might answer "only over my dead cold hands" ;-)

Kryslin
10-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Dual Monitors here; a humble pair of hp LA2405's, side by side, landscape mode (3840 x 1200). Driven by a single 4GB GTX 680 EVGA Classified card. Lightwave on the Left, Panels and references to the right.

My laptop has a 1920 x 1080 display, but I only use it for modeling while on vacation, processing photos, and keeping up with e-mail... or, as a third screen when the other two on the desk get full.

Lewis
10-07-2013, 12:10 AM

Hehe, well before I purchased 3rd monitor i had A4 papers all over my desk with printed reference photos, then i concluded that on yearly base i spent that much money on printer cartridges that i can buy new monitor and stop printing all those papers and i never looked back since then (actually i bought 3rd 200" Dell just to have spare if one of those side ones dies suddenly and they sadly don't make such great IPS 4:3 20" monitors anymore :(). And yeah i don't like papers/post-it on my monitors/desk or so, i don't even like lot of desktop icons and have only what's a must :).

Sweet setup Elvis. Are you using dual video cards or does your card support 3 displays?

2 cards, one main and one cheapo (50-60$) Nvidia GTX 510/610 with passive cooling GFX card to drive all three monitors.

hrgiger
10-07-2013, 01:51 PM
2 cards, one main and one cheapo (50-60$) Nvidia GTX 510/610 with passive cooling GFX card to drive all three monitors.

Yeah I was just curious because most cards I've ever seen only have two ports for display. Also, what program are you using there with the image references?

Rayek
10-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Three screens here. Two 27" 2560x1440 SA850 Samsungs (left and center) and one hp 1920x1200 screen in portrait mode. The portrait mode is perfect for documentation and web browsing.

The two Samsungs were $900 each, but worth every penny. A new screen tech was used in those, so even though they are non-reflective, the display isn't grainy and beautifully sharp and relaxed to look at.

I absolutely love my setup! :-)

@hrgiger: the AMD 7970 supports up to four screens connected to it. Mine drives all three displays.

Spinland
10-07-2013, 05:26 PM
My little studio. My desktop is a quad core Mac Mini which is driving a 27" Apple Cinema Display as well as a small 19" HP sitting on the old CRT shelf of my hutch. The laptop, a MacBook Pro, is usually mostly closed so it doesn't obscure the 19" display. It's there mainly for when I have to refer to PDF documentation or training videos (or when I use LWSN to send some render frames to it). I use the 19" for any side windows I need (like the graph or scene editor) and do all my primary modeling and animating on the 27".

Lewis
10-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Yeah I was just curious because most cards I've ever seen only have two ports for display. Also, what program are you using there with the image references?

There is many cards nowdays what support 3 displays (Nvidias since 6xx series and AMD even longer in past) but problem usually is that you have 2 DVI-D ports and then HDMI or Display port and my monitors don't have either of these so i can't connect them on those ports (they have DVI-D and D-SUB + several USB ports, card readers, Chinch connectior, S-video etc. etc. but no DP or HDMI)

As for program for references I'm using OLD (v 2.5) AcdSeee Pro. That was last one (now is v5.0 or more) of program which had option to have preview window on any monitor and then full size view on central/main monitor. New ones preview and view puts on same monitor so it's irritation for my workflow so i never upgraded over v2.5 :).

geo_n
10-09-2013, 01:12 AM

Did you setup your gtx 510 to show on three monitors and then your main gtx 610 to use for lw,etc?
How do you use second card for opengl in specific appz?

Lewis
10-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Did you setup your gtx 510 to show on three monitors and then your main gtx 610 to use for lw,etc?
How do you use second card for opengl in specific appz?

660GTX is set on main monitor and 610 is on 2 smaller (side) monitors