PDA

View Full Version : Current perspective view as camera view?

AmigaNewTek
10-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Hello,

don't know how to ask this, maybe the title is not correct at all.

Sometimes i have a nice framing in the perspective view.
It's possible to transfer this particular view to the camera?

Thank you

Ryan Roye
10-01-2013, 07:27 AM
If you're using 11.6, there's a built-in feature that lets you do this (I think it assumes a FoV of 30.0 though).

Pre 11.6, you'll need this plugin:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/pviewmc/

I can't get the website link to load for me...

AmigaNewTek
10-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Thank you.

The link for he plugin doesnt work :(
What the feature you are talking about in LW 11.6, btw?

Ryan Roye
10-01-2013, 07:41 AM
The link for he plugin doesnt work :(
What the feature you are talking about in LW 11.6, btw?

It's hard to keep betas installed during production, but if you have 11.6 the top pulldown menu (where you enable VPR, or change viewport display), has some new nifty options including perspective camera matching. I forget the exact name of the option.

BeeVee
10-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Match Perspective as it turns out :D And you can match an existing camera or a new one, and you can do the same for a light too.

B

JoePoe
10-01-2013, 01:40 PM
The link DOES work, there's just no index page.

for those who are 11.6 deficient (like me :)):
http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/

motivalex
10-02-2013, 03:14 AM
It's hard to keep betas installed during production, but if you have 11.6 the top pulldown menu (where you enable VPR, or change viewport display), has some new nifty options including perspective camera matching. I forget the exact name of the option.

It's a very useful simple feature and has helped me save some time.

BeeVee
10-02-2013, 04:34 AM
Best of all, the numpad keys for 1-7 are used for views. If you edit numpad 8 and 9 to Match Perspective and Match Perspective New it becomes even easier... :)

B

bobakabob
01-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Great new feature BeeVee - just found this and it's brilliant for setting up compositions.

jeric_synergy
01-18-2014, 11:18 AM
A quickie video on that would probably help a lot of people.

Personally, I've never understood the EXCITEMENT people have about matching Perspective. BFD. You want to put the camera somewhere? USE THE DAMN CAMERA. IMO it's a workflow failure to be using the Perspective view to set up a shot. It's Lightwave, not whatever app this workflow is a hangover from. :devil:

prometheus
01-18-2014, 04:04 PM
A quickie video on that would probably help a lot of people.

Personally, I've never understood the EXCITEMENT people have about matching Perspective. BFD. You want to put the camera somewhere? USE THE DAMN CAMERA. IMO it's a workflow failure to be using the Perspective view to set up a shot. It's Lightwave, not whatever app this workflow is a hangover from. :devil:

I disagree, I often find myself testing clouds, or other effects or models, and for working properly with setting up a camera, you have to create a null, go to camera..motion options..and target the camera to the null, that way you can move the null on to where youré camera target point of view should be on, and then just move (not rotate the camera) and you get similar fast orbit point of view that a perspective view gives, but itīs faster to simply use perspective camera and move around, and your not locked to where the target null is either, you might need to change the null depending on where the focus of the point of view should be on, in perspective view you just pan, and use the center on object icon if you need it to be locked like a target null.

It is simply faster to use perspective view....It might not be ideal for many shots of course, but for some it is ideal, and I have found myself using it and having help of it quite a lot recently, I was one of those ranting about wanting it too, when there was none.

FOI....there is also a free camera target plugin,that will run a dialog to choose a null as target, and it will set it up...faster than doing camera target manually.
however...working with old 3d max many many years ago, I would like to have a camera type, that has that checkbox...use camera target, so once that is checked you get a trajectory line and a target handle wich you should be able to move anywhere, and since it is connected to the camera you wonīt have to switch object type..like switching to a null and move the target, here it should be all built in to the camera type.
Thatīs how it works in 3dmax and in vue among others.

but until that arrives, working with perspective view and match perspective, or use the camera motion target plugin is the best we can use...one is better than the other for certain things.

Michael

jeric_synergy
01-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Maybe it's because I'm used to RW cameras, but to me moving the camera is no more difficult than moving the Perspective View. Easier, in fact.

And I abhor camera targeting.

prometheus
01-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Maybe it's because I'm used to RW cameras, but to me moving the camera is no more difficult than moving the Perspective View. Easier, in fact.

And I abhor camera targeting.

That workflow I canīt understand, how could you possible move /rotate a camera around scene objects in the same way you do in perspective view? I can only come to the conclusion that you simply canīt
Unless setting it up with motion targeting a null or the object itself, the object itself will stop you from orbiting and getting a full view of anything other than the objects pivotal center, and using a null as target
requires setting it up, so I donīt follow you here jeric, how can you orbit around the object with traditional moving of the camera and at the same time get to that special point of view you want, without having
to plan for it?

you say moving the camera is easier than perspective view..yeah, but for what? we arenīt talking about just moving cameras around for the fun of it...perspective view is there to orbit your scene
for easy orbital overview mostly,and if it had no purpose, we shouldnīt have any perspective view at all, but itīs there and itīs there in max, houdini etc.
houdini has tie cam to perspective view...as in lightwave is match perspective.

Michael

lertola2
01-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Best of all, the numpad keys for 1-7 are used for views. If you edit numpad 8 and 9 to Match Perspective and Match Perspective New it becomes even easier... :)

B

BeVee,
I am trying to add these command to my keyboard shortcuts but I can t find them. I found a command called Match Viewport that seems to do the Match Perspective action. But there does not seem to be any Match Perspective New command.

djwaterman
01-18-2014, 05:28 PM
I have always found moving the camera very easy and never understood peoples complaints, however there are those rare occasions when moving around in perspective you suddenly happen upon a magic view just by accident, so it's cool that you can transfer that to the camera. Also, never really like having a targeted camera, but again there are those times when it will help you on some sort of wild tracking of a fast moving object covering a lot of distance, just target a null and move the null around a bit during the shot so the camera doesn't look like it's locked to the subject. Seriously though, I love LW's camera set up, it just feels so hands on to me.

bobakabob
01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Agree with Prometheus, the Perspective window has always been fast and intuitive at setting up compositions. To get close to this with a camera you need to set up a null then keep switching between the two. Pretty essential for animation though. Now we have the best of both worlds. :)

djwaterman
01-19-2014, 04:30 AM
Well you don't need to set up a null to work with the camera (unless you have a reason to do it), it's just look through the camera and move around till you get the shot you want, just like in real life. Anyway for all you people that prefer the perspective view you also have that option so everything is covered.

jeric_synergy
01-19-2014, 09:44 AM
...... it's just look through the camera and move around till you get the shot you want, just like in real life.
Exactly. To me, Targeting is what an engineer thinks should be done, not a DP. It's twice as much work, generally.

prometheus
01-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Well you don't need to set up a null to work with the camera (unless you have a reason to do it), it's just look through the camera and move around till you get the shot you want, just like in real life. Anyway for all you people that prefer the perspective view you also have that option so everything is covered.

hehe...this is highly a matter of taste I guess, and of course you donīt need to set up a null to work with the camera, that goes without saying...otherwise it would be useless for anything, but the point was that you need to set it upp with a null
to get orbital control in a smooth way ..similar to perspective view...not a question on what you need to work with the camera.

Letīs say you have an animation of something flying in the air, and want to extract a single shot from a special moment, it will be easy to track it with center object in perspective and once that object has reach its state
you can in perspective mode fix it to that moment..or rotate view to find better angles at that time ..and that you canīt do with a camera without a lot..lot of hazzle.

of course it is a traditional way to use the camera to set up the scene, the set up will have to be based on what you decide first to be a nice shot and point of view..so that is required to actually plan for..while
a use of the perspective point of view might give you a totally different way to find a moment that looks good when that point of view arrives to your eye so to speak, so that comping workflow is based on what occours
in a stage and based on a point of view ..which you from the beginning donīt know could look so cool...and that is something you canīt find in working with a predefined workflow that needs planning.
Perspective view can give you a moment/point of view you didnīt expected but that looks wonderful and usable...while setting up a camera traditionally will give you what you expected and nothing more...or
in worst case..it doesnt.

alternativly...hereīs a trick...add thousands of cameras in a spherical rig, and pick whatever point of view suitable:)
and if anyone of you know how to get viewports to showcase two or more cameraviews at the same time without switching cameras..that would be nice.

erikals
01-19-2014, 05:01 PM
something to remember...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlJkAcP0_EA

but the Perspective View method is faster in general.
using the Perspective method for the Camera would be better. (imo)

a problem i find with Match Perspective is that it doesn't actually do just that,
or rather the other way around. so you'll have to re-adjust the view.

a solution to this can be to make the Camera behave like the Perspective View navigation via AHK, but haven't gotten around to it just yet.

lertola2
01-19-2014, 06:13 PM
You know you do not have to change the coordinate system to move the camera along its view. You just have to hold the control key in the camera view and you can move along the camera's point of view. Also in the perspective view you can move the camera along its view by holding the control key and dragging the blue arrow handle.

erikals
01-19-2014, 06:22 PM
dang, regarding the Ctrl+Camera, can't believe i missed that one... :o

but it's too bad it doesn't work within the rotate mode though... :/

some would say that wouldn't be "correct" i guess, but it would be a better workflow,
in Camera mode.

---------------

but again, Perspective mode in Camera mode > yes thank you!

Fast!... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

erikals
01-19-2014, 06:40 PM
this question claims a pool.... i mean, poll....

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139752-Perspective-mode-vs-Camera-mode

Snosrap
01-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Seriously though, I love LW's camera set up, it just feels so hands on to me. I agree - one of LW's best attributes.

BeeVee
01-20-2014, 04:19 AM
BeVee,
I am trying to add these command to my keyboard shortcuts but I can t find them. I found a command called Match Viewport that seems to do the Match Perspective action. But there does not seem to be any Match Perspective New command.

You're nearly there :) Open LSCommander and put in MatchViewport to move your existing camera, but change the text to "MatchViewport 1" to add a new camera/light. You can install the plugin you've written and then call it using the Alt F9 keyboard shortcut editor.

B

lertola2
01-20-2014, 10:14 AM
You're nearly there :) Open LSCommander and put in MatchViewport to move your existing camera, but change the text to "MatchViewport 1" to add a new camera/light. You can install the plugin you've written and then call it using the Alt F9 keyboard shortcut editor.

B

Well thank you. I did not know about LSCommander before.