PDA

View Full Version : A Knifing Spline Tool

omeone
11-14-2003, 06:04 AM
...or a Splining Knife tool

Nemoid
11-14-2003, 04:55 PM
good idea! I'd also like a draw split poligons. just draw onto your surface and polis are splitted (cut) obviously with no unuseful ponts in plus as in your example. then, points are automatically highlighted for further manipulation...:)

KillMe
11-14-2003, 06:41 PM
yeah would be ncie and if it selected the pints aftewads would be good if you could turn this feature on and off in the numeric feild and itwould remember how you had it

tburbage
11-15-2003, 01:10 PM
What this boils down to is that Modeler freezes the curve before applying it as a Drill op and I really wish they could make all operations which use curves (Drill, Lathe, Extrude, etc. etc.) provide more control over how the curve's data is interpreted.

At the least, the Freeze method when applied to curves should let you specify the level of subdivision you want. In many cases, that might be to keep only the points (knots) already specified in the curve.

The workaround to get what you're after is to use a two-point poly chain instead. There is a plugin, Curve2PolyChain, which can automate the conversion process. Don't remember off hand whether that came with LW or I found it via Flay.

omeone
11-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by tburbage
What this boils down to is that Modeler freezes the curve before applying it as a Drill op and I really wish they could make all operations which use curves (Drill, Lathe, Extrude, etc. etc.) provide more control over how the curve's data is interpreted.

I dont want to have to draw any curves, setup bg layers, invoke Drill or booleans. I want to hit Shift+K and be allowed to specify more then just a beginning and end point, with Spline interpolation in between.

At the least, the Freeze method when applied to curves should let you specify the level of subdivision you want. In many cases, that might be to keep only the points (knots) already specified in the curve.

IT does, under options. Absolute knot count control can be had with Faulknermano's FreezeSpline.

The workaround to get what you're after is to use a two-point poly chain instead. There is a plugin, Curve2PolyChain, which can automate the conversion process. Don't remember off hand whether that came with LW or I found it via Flay.
I think you misunderstood, I want a tool that splits existing polys not creates new stuff, kind of like the Knife tool ?
but... er.. Splines? oh, and Guide tool from Hurley is the biz for Splines to polychains ;)