PDA

View Full Version : Live Text interfacing via Wifi. Reliable?

rcalcat50
09-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I have my tricaster in the press box for football games. It has to connect wifi to my network (no drop in press box)

My tricaster works great out there. I have it running on a wireless network card, gets full bars and works great. (i streamed some youth football games saturday for 8 hours without a hiccup) I have a macbook laptop that gets full bars and works great with iVGA.

My problem comes with Live text. I could absolutely NOT get it to work for our show last friday night despite everything i tried. Terribly dissappointing because obviously that left a big hole in our broadcast.

I thought it was a function of the laptop i was using to run it (and old beater), so i put livetext on a different machine (a slightly new old beater) and bought another USB wireless nic card, and it gets full bars and seems to work great. It does seem to be stubborn connecting, but at least i can get it after a couple restarts. then it also does drop, and when you go to reconnect the machine is greyed out.

So, my questions are:

1.) is Live TEXT reliable on wifi? Problem is, it is my only option.
2.) are other people successful with this?
3.) can i trust it during a show?
4.) what can i do to 'refresh' livetext and send the signal again, WITHOUT restarting tricaster. obviously not doable during a show.
5.) how can i make it more reliable?
6.) when is Live TEXT going to be released for Mac?
7.) any other suggestions?

SBowie
09-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Make sure the 'beater' network is not configured as "Public".

PIZAZZ
09-30-2013, 02:39 PM
WIFI is not your only option.

Instead of using all wireless connections for each device, create a subnetwork with a router like a cradlepoint or one running dd-wrt firmware. You would then use your router to reach out and ingest the wifi signal into your subnetwork. This way your TriCaster and Livetext machine can live on a wired network and you only use the wireless for your internet connectivity.

I personally like the cradlepoint units best. You also can plug a LTE USB modem in it for those situations where you have no other internet source.

For the best experience with LiveText always try to use a gigabit router.

rcalcat50
09-30-2013, 03:11 PM
sBowie- where in network settings do i config that?

pizazz- thanks for suggestion, i totally get (and really like the idea in concept) but executing it is beyond my network knowledge- i will forward to my network admin and see if we can pull it off.

PIZAZZ
09-30-2013, 04:18 PM
sBowie- where in network settings do i config that?

pizazz- thanks for suggestion, i totally get (and really like the idea in concept) but executing it is beyond my network knowledge- i will forward to my network admin and see if we can pull it off.

Honestly setting up a cradlepoint router (or any wireless router) is not hard at all. It is also a skill I believe everyone should have if you are going to be doing any sort of webstreaming.

I would be glad to walk you through it. It would take about 5 min to setup.

rcalcat50
09-30-2013, 06:16 PM
agree. and it is a skill set i would like to improve...

what would i need hardware wise? something like a
CradlePoint MBR1400 Wireless Switch: MBR1400?

how do i know if that will interface with our current network hardware?

PIZAZZ
09-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Yes the MBR1400 is one of those we use. If you want a new router for your setup that does it all and 4 ports are enough then the MBR1400 is the ticket. If you just want the functionality of a dedicated router that can suck in and use WIFI as a Lan connection then the less costly version, the MBR95 at $149 will do nicely or somewhere in the middle the MBR1200b at $249. We have used the MBR95 very successfully also. Keep in mind the ports on the unit are 10/100 so if you are using LiveText and IVGAPro and a TriCaster and a network based net feed from a 3Play then the 10/100 side is going to barely be enough. Go for the bigger MBR1400 if you don't want anything to hold you back. OR do what we do and that is connect everything to a Cisco Gigabit switch then that switch has only one connection to the Cradlepoint's 4 ports. (3 remain empty)

Remember webstreaming is rather small in the scheme of bandwidth required. 2 megabits is the maximum you can stream out of the TriCaster. That is 2 megabits out of a possible 10 or 100megabit connection. Gigabit (1000 megabits) is more applicable when going machine to machine not connecting to the internet. That is why a gigabit Switch is recommended when using iVGA or LiveText. The data needs to be as fast as possible from machine to machine.

Yes these routers can work with your current network. You might need to get your IT folks involved just so they know what you are trying to do. Sometimes overzealous network admins will put a sniffer on the network and automatically shutdown any port that an unauthorized router/switch is connected to. Connecting via wireless actually makes it a little easier to get around those protocols. The bad thing is you are only connecting via wireless so the speed and reliability of a hard line don't exist.

Buy the MBR1400 and you will not regret it.