PDA

View Full Version : network rendering without a network?

sadkkf
09-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to network my desktop and laptop PCs with an ethernet crossover cable? Seems like a quick and cheap way to increase render speeds...if only by a little.

JonW
10-02-2013, 12:12 AM
You shouldn't even need a yellow cross over cable these days. Try with a blue.

Make sure both computers are on the same network group.

Seems like a quick and cheap way to increase render speeds...if only by a little.

It's not going reduce render time as such. You need to get Screamernet up & running to do that. If your second computer has the same CPU horse power as the first, your render times will be cut in half. For rendering frames for an animation obviously.

sadkkf
10-02-2013, 09:22 AM
It's not going reduce render time as such. You need to get Screamernet up & running to do that. If your second computer has the same CPU horse power as the first, your render times will be cut in half. For rendering frames for an animation obviously.

Interesting. I'll have to look more into Screamernet. Totally forgot about that.

Two very different CPUs in the mix here. My desktop has a quad-core Xeon; laptop has a dual-core i7. I forget the speeds of both.

Still, this is a cheap thing to try and if doesn't help much I'm out only a few bucks for the cable. Just wanted to know if this was even possible.

Thanks!