PDA

View Full Version : TITLE Bars: put more info in there--low hanging fruit, quit ignoring free real estate

jeric_synergy
09-28-2013, 02:41 PM
I had a specific feature in mind when I started this post, but it occurred to me that this is a general principle that Lightwave needs to follow:

Quit neglecting the title bars!!!!

There's LOTS of screen real-estate being ignored in the title bars of various panels and programs, all of which can be used for the display of useful information.

For instance, in Modeler,

a) if the current layer has a user-defined name, DISPLAY IT
b) if multiple layers are selected show as many names as possible.
c) ", show # of layers selected (which may be more than 10, the limit of the layers indicators)

In Layout (which does currently show the Scene name, good on them):

a) add the standard asterisk symbol for "project altered"
b) show the last save time/date

In the Surface Editor, I'm pretty sure you could fit the Object & Surfaces count into the title bar, esp. when it's in its uncollapsed state.

I'm sure that if the devs went thru the application with this in mind, all sorts of useful info could be dragged out into the open, freeing up valuable space in the UI.

Title bars are free screen real estate, time to use them.

Ryan Roye
09-28-2013, 07:26 PM
I agree, I wouldn't mind more info being in title bars either... especially having at least the filename in Lightwave's main window titlebar (as was suggested in an earlier feature request post).

jeric_synergy
09-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Here's one thing: THE NODE EDITOR title bar

I find it pretty easy to forget which object the, for instance, Displacement Node Editor is addressing. Putting the object name in the Editor title bar would eliminate that confusion.