PDA

View Full Version : Render and Encoding Question

Airwaves
09-27-2013, 03:28 PM
So I wanted to get peoples opinions on what they do to render out their scenes and still keep the ending file size small? For example, I have about 20 videos at 5 mintues each that I have done for schools that I host on vimeo. I have never worried about the file size of the final video because I still had plenty of storage space and they charge per views and not per size of the file being played.

So the question I have is what do you guys do in lightwave to keep the file size low? I render all my animations out as png24 images. (I am a newbie just so you know) I then take adobe premiere and put all the images in a sequence and add sound and try to get the smallest size with adobe products. Does anyone render straight out to a video from lightwave? If you do does that make the file size smaller?

Any info would be great on this topic since I can no longer stay with vimeo for my hosting service. Thanks

Danner
09-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Rendering as an animation straight from LW is not a good idea, one single video file is not as easy to pause, distribute render, re-render just a few frames etc. Having an image sequence it's much more flexible.

I always do some post in AfterFX then export as an uncompressed avi, then I encode the uncompressed avi to .wmv (AfterFX) and .m4v (Adobe media encoder). I send the clients the .wmv and .m4v and do a backup of all 3 to an external drive.

jeric_synergy
09-27-2013, 05:37 PM
AE or Premiere to tweek the animation size is by far the best way to do it. Relax, you're doing fine.

m.d.
09-27-2013, 06:26 PM
render tiffs or exrs from lightwave...better quality the png...
exr's with pxr24 compression is the best filesize/quality ratio....good enough for pixar

in AE bring in and interpret footage to preserve RGB

Render via dynamic link in premiere for .mp4(most universal container...can play in iphone, mac, pc ps4 ect ect) in h.264....always use 2 pass encoding for h.264 (AE cant do 2 pass)

2 pass is the key to low file size...a 2 pass 3mbps may look better then a 1 pass 5mbps. Do tests....see how low you can get it before it starts breaking down then raise quality.
Professional compressionists do this on a scene by scene basis for hollywood releases.

For high quality master...you could leave as exr....or render to cineform or dnxHD(free avid codec)....as these codecs can both be 10 bit and higher and are platform independant

an uncompressed avi may only be 8 bit...as are your png's

8 bit is on its way out professionally....almost all high end cameras shoot higher then 8 bit, and 10 bit higher codecs and monitors are commonplace...so might as well future proof your masters

jeric_synergy
09-27-2013, 08:29 PM
render tiffs or exrs from lightwave...better quality the png...
Unless it's actually a greater bit depth or floating point, this is just an unbased slander. ;)

Sensei
09-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Does anyone render straight out to a video from lightwave?

Only unexperienced beginners do it.

m.d.
09-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Unless it's actually a greater bit depth or floating point, this is just an unbased slander. ;)

Thing is it's always high bit depth from lightwave render engine:)
If I remember right the engine has 128 bit accuracy

Most of our end products will still be 8 bit for now. But unless filesize is
a huge concern...no sense handcuffing yourself in compositing right from the beginning....do that as late as possible.

Not that I haven't rendered to jpeg....

EDIT : I keep forgetting PNG can be 16 bit....so disregard comments against PNG

Comes from my early days when I confused it with GIF all the time
This is probably the 5th time I have posted against PNG only to be corrected later.
Senility I guess

For the OP
One of the main reasons not to render to a avi or QuickTime straight from lightwave for beginners is:
Say your rendering a 1000 frame animation. And it crashes at frame 999.

If you are rendering images, you have to render 1 frame more.
If you are rendering to video...you have to re render the whole thing.

Better to do it in a second step.

jeric_synergy
09-28-2013, 12:03 PM
EDIT : I keep forgetting PNG can be 16 bit....so disregard comments against PNG
haHAHHH! SO! You admit it! ;) :tsktsk: :beerchug:

PNG is awesome. Compresses (losslessly) well also. Unless you actually need some of the more advanced features of, say, EXR, it is a really choice for output.

m.d.
09-28-2013, 08:48 PM
haHAHHH! SO! You admit it! ;) :tsktsk: :beerchug:

PNG is awesome. Compresses (losslessly) well also. Unless you actually need some of the more advanced features of, say, EXR, it is a really choice for output.

hehe...its not the first time either....

i forget that at least once a year and then scoff at someone using it....:hey:

i got some wires crossed years ago and put it in the same category as GIF...now it's burned into my synapse's

If you have exrTrader...the pxr24 exr's are the way to go in my opinion....throw a depth or motion pass in. If you dont then PNG is probably the best way to go

jeric_synergy
09-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I keep trying to use Depth buffers or motion, but it keeps eluding me. :'(

Airwaves
09-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Thank you for all your comments. They have been extremely helpful. Last night I was with a friend of mine and he showed me this software called Handbrake. From what I am seeing in the forum I am doing it the same way of most everyone else. After exporting in adobe media encoder I got some of my videos smaller to about 50 mgbs but then I used the Handbrake program and got it to 15mgbs and it looks about the same as the original. Since I will be using amazons3 to host my videos I want them as small as possible to save money.
Thanks everyone for your comments.