PDA

View Full Version : Convert CAD files to LWO with NGons

Remoc
09-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Hello Lightwavers,

For a long time I have been getting .STEP files from engineers / architects ect. and used Rhino to convert to .LWO
However this always produced a messy mesh limited to three point polys. And I then had to clean up this mess by hand.

Then I discovered moi3d.com ( Moment of Inspiration ) which imports STEP & more... then exports as .LWO with Ngons & Quads!!!
The conversions were perfect, all polygons facing the correct direction... no unnecessary mesh produced even on complex models with hundreds of holes.
It even respects materials and places them in there own layers.

Just sharing what was a big find for me.

Cheers,

Remoc

chikega
09-27-2013, 09:42 AM
I've heard great things about MoI. That's really good to know in case I ever run into that problem :)

3DGFXStudios
09-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Oh man! Nice tip. I'm always out of saves in rhino :D. Thanks! To bad it's not free ;)

JamesCurtis
09-27-2013, 08:29 PM
It may not be free, but it is still less expensive than Polytrans. I used the trial of MOI for a project recently myself. Will cosider paying for the full program soon.

jwiede
09-28-2013, 12:04 AM
I highly recommend MoI, and the price is very reasonable considering you're also getting a decent NURBS/CSG modeler as well. My needs eventually led me through Bonzai3D to FormZ for NURBS/CSG, but I still keep MoI around because for certain tasks its import/export is better than other pkgs.

dulo
09-28-2013, 02:45 AM
+10 for MOI .. and its really cheap for the power it offers !!

prometheus
09-28-2013, 08:08 AM
I tried moi out when I was working with Solidworks and lightwave files, the constructions we had consisted of so many poly´s, that moi couldn´t handle such large files unfortunatly, so that was no option.
For simpler lower meshes, it is probably great.

I was also tryin a simple logo with engraved text exported from solidworks in to moi, couldn´t handle that either ..extremly slow and not workable.

I would recommend taking a look in to the application modo, wich loads solidworks files nativly, and also the special cad loader..It is expensive appaerently, but looks awesome, the tesselation engine
converts to quads in modo.

Michael

jwiede
09-30-2013, 07:35 AM
Yep, right now modo + CAD loader is probably among the "cleanest" / most efficient solutions available for converting complex CSG/NURBS into "usable" poly geometry. It isn't the cheapest thing, but much of the cost is because they licensed the technology involved, and that tech's always been a bit pricey. It all comes down to how much value you actually put on better geometry. If this is a one-off task, you could ask around the modo CAD loader forums to see if anyone there will do the conversion for you (perhaps as bespoke work).

Dodgy
10-01-2013, 11:35 PM
I just got ViaCAD Pro for $99 which is a fully featured solid modeler and allows you to save as .obj with vertex normals and seems to work really well on loading into LW.