PDA

View Full Version : LW 11.6 now has external opengl/vpr window.

tayotain2
09-27-2013, 06:11 AM
Now you can see any opengl/vpr window in external viewer or even fullscreen :)

You can find it on vrp settings/add display

MarcusM
09-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Cool but i want pop up UV window in Modeler! ;]

Sanchon
09-27-2013, 06:40 AM
This is a floating resized copy of VPR viewport that works with other modes too - like wireframe or OGL - turn off VPR without closing 3D Vision viewer or simply rotate any other Layout viewport to change 3D Vision view.

erikals
09-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Nice! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

3dworks
09-27-2013, 09:26 AM
interesting! but this new window does apparently always synchronize with the active main viewport. how can we set it to be an independent VPR floating window?

tayotain2
09-27-2013, 10:01 AM
interesting! but this new window does apparently always synchronize with the active main viewport. how can we set it to be an independent VPR floating window?

Yes it looks like its a copy of main active viewport. I think it can be used as:
- viewer screen for mocapped virtual camera system
- oculus rift?
- Fullscreen previews
- etc...

toeknee
09-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Wow, This is a big deal. I have wanted this for character animation for a long time. I can now set the external monitor to camera view and then make it full screen, while I am use quad view. This is very cool. I wonder how many other thing are in here that we don't know about?

3DGFXStudios
09-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Cool but i want pop up UV window in Modeler! ;]

+1

It would be nice if it wasn't a clone of the main viewport.

Hail
09-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Wow!
Cool.
Now can they fix the undo system?
Nothing else would make me happier :)

jwiede
09-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Wow, This is a big deal. I have wanted this for character animation for a long time. I can now set the external monitor to camera view and then make it full screen, while I am use quad view. This is very cool. I wonder how many other thing are in here that we don't know about?

Um, not too sure about ability to then use quad view for other things, seems external view is same as active quadview pane -- that's the point 3dworks & tayotain2 were making.

jasonwestmas
09-27-2013, 05:49 PM
I guess this is only useful for dual monitor setups and people who like to stack a hundred panels on the screen at once. I mean this floating window doesn't work if you close the viewport it's copying. And .making several instances of 3D vision doesn't allow more than one viewport display. I don't really see the advantage.

jwiede
09-28-2013, 12:19 AM
I guess this is only useful for dual monitor setups and people who like to stack a hundred panels on the screen at once. I mean this floating window doesn't work if you close the viewport it's copying. And .making several instances of 3D vision doesn't allow more than one viewport display. I don't really see the advantage.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure I understand the intended usage for the current implementation either. I wonder if this is simply a "stepping stone" to an independent viewport implementation, but first they needed to get the "copied" version working or such. Even if so, I'm not sure I see the value of releasing it in the current state.

50one
09-28-2013, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I'm not quite sure I understand the intended usage for the current implementation either. I wonder if this is simply a "stepping stone" to an independent viewport implementation, but first they needed to get the "copied" version working or such. Even if so, I'm not sure I see the value of releasing it in the current state.

That's what I thought, possibly a reason why there's no changelog as they're working on some parts that will allow bringing the UI up-to-date and maybe upgrade the display engine etc.

prometheus
09-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Ah...seems that it is under development to get the VPR to work also as a module window preview, sort of like viper, and that is what Ivé been waiting for too, right now it doesn´t seem to do
anything useful, since you must have the viewports active.
I have to Agree with jwiede here.
wait and see..

Skonk
09-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Tbh, it just looks like it does a screen-capture of the render window and displays the image in a separate window and updates the image as it changes.

Look at how it scales it up and down when you resize the window losing quality, it's clearly not displaying a "3D" view port but rather a scaled 2D image.

Nicolas Jordan
09-28-2013, 11:47 AM
This will be a very nice feature!

Ztreem
09-28-2013, 03:24 PM
I imagine this has something to do with the 11.6 support for Nvidia 3D vision

geo_n
09-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Kelly showed this a while back. This is for dragging to the other monitor that is stereoscopic enabled.
Hope it mimic fprime functions in the future.

jwiede
09-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Kelly showed this a while back. This is for dragging to the other monitor that is stereoscopic enabled.

Ah, that makes sense. Hmm, doesn't seem likely to grow many additional fprime-like features while it's still just a clone of the viewport running VPR, alas.

erikals
09-29-2013, 07:18 PM
I imagine this has something to do with the 11.6 support for Nvidia 3D vision

cool, interesting http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

Netvudu
09-30-2013, 05:04 AM
Yeah, what geo_n said. Back at SIGGRAPH we were showcasing it at the Lightwave´s booth, and its just for stereo glasses on a 3D-enabled monitor. You know, the active system that connects the glasses frequency to the monitor.