PDA

View Full Version : No Color Picker found in the new 11.6 build 2714

Simon-S
09-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Just installed the new build only to find there's no colour picker plugin installed - "No plug-in of type ColorPicker found with the name $Default"

I did a scan directory in the bin folder and it still throws up the same error. Also reinstalled lw to see if that fixed things, but without any luck.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Tobian
09-26-2013, 04:03 PM
It might be you just need to trash your configs. I had LW get quite confused about the colour picker, because they went from the 'classic' to the 'Jovian' Colour picker, which is renamed 'lightwave' colour picker.

You can find your Configs in C:\Users\<user>\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6 - any file which has a '64' counterpart is a core config, and you can delete them both (or just delete the lot). Save off any menu modifications you've made, and you may need to re-add plugins etc.

Simon-S
09-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes I had the same thought and deleted all the configs...still the same issue.

I have multiple versions of lightwave installed on my machine...could that be an issue? saying that its never caused me a problem before.

Simon-S
09-26-2013, 04:22 PM
So reinstalling for a third time fixed it...very strange :s

Tobian
09-26-2013, 04:34 PM
How very odd. I would say no to the multiple versions, as I have both 32 and 64 running at all times! :)

3dWannabe
09-26-2013, 05:16 PM
I haven't installed 11.6 yet, but I have the commercial version of Jovian installed.

How do I deal with that?

Tobian
09-26-2013, 05:20 PM
It will work fine, they are called different things in the system, and since the commercial one is a standalone, you could use that too. The current one is more or less 99.99% Jovian, as far as I can see, with the exception you can't use it outside of LW, as you can the commercial version.

Snosrap
09-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Works fine here. It also now remembers imported color collections from session to session!

chikega
09-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Working here too.

BeeVee
09-27-2013, 02:26 AM
Do you have a LightWave color picker in the list of colour pickers? Choose it and all should be well.

B

spherical
09-27-2013, 04:57 PM
This $Default thing has been covered in other threads. Can't remember what the fix was right off.

Simon-S
09-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Colour picker all sorted but now I notice there is no Ray Cast Receiver in object properties/custom object. Is this just me or is it missing for any of you guys too?

I'm wanting to make use of the new flocking features - trying to create a herd running across a terrain but will struggle without the ray cast receiver.

Snosrap
09-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Colour picker all sorted but now I notice there is no Ray Cast Receiver in object properties/custom object. Is this just me or is it missing for any of you guys too?

I'm wanting to make use of the new flocking features - trying to create a herd running across a terrain but will struggle without the ray cast receiver. Go to motion options panel for that (not objects) and select Nodal Motion.

Simon-S
09-27-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm following a tutorial from the 11.6 addendum manual...

"3) You need to tell Flocking that this terrain is your ground for the flock and their pursuers
and you do that by adding a RayCaster to the terrain in Object Properties > Custom Object."

Seems odd that it wouldn't be there. Its there in 11.5 however.

Looks like you're right though...a few of the nodes have been renamed since the manual was written.

Simon-S
09-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Nope the ray cast doesn't work for me with the flocking as I cant set the terrain mesh to be a receiver :s

dwburman
09-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Try the RayCast Geometry Node. You set the receiving geometry inside the node.

I'm not sure this is a 100% correct set up, but it seems to work.

Netvudu
09-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Dana´s method is correct. The problem comes from Simon following the docs which are still using the 11.5 method which is different and doesn´t work anymore.
I understand the docs should be updated, but frankly, there are like 324,234,354,353 videos since SIGGRAPH where you can see the new way of doing things. So, besides some docs mistake, a simple "Lightwave raycast" search on youtube would have solved this problem.

dwburman
09-28-2013, 09:49 PM
I think that was updated after the initial release. The docs might be lagging behind.

Greenlaw
09-28-2013, 10:46 PM
I haven't installed 11.6 yet, but I have the commercial version of Jovian installed.

How do I deal with that?
It works fine--I've always have both installed.

I believe the standalone and LW versions of Jovian are actually separate programs--the standalone version is used for programs other than LightWave (like Photoshop,) and the .p plug-in is specifically for LightWave. If you have LightWave 11.6, obviously you do not need the 'third party' .p plug-in installed because it's already there.

G.

Simon-S
09-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Try the RayCast Geometry Node. You set the receiving geometry inside the node.

I'm not sure this is a 100% correct set up, but it seems to work.

Thanks for this, it certainly helped set me off in the right direction.

However, I did find the results quite undesirable and random having the Agent info position plugged into 'Ray Direction' - agents snap all over the place randomly. For me it seemed to work better using the 'Ray Origin'.

Thanks again.