PDA

View Full Version : Flocking fish school

benedict_ilagan
09-26-2013, 01:51 AM
hi guys, i did a very simple flocking animation of school fish started as box fishes (no details yet) of at least 50-100 fish instances. And realized in the middle of the swarming fish school, a dolphin (box form) came to the picture and started to penetrate the tornado like of fishes. My question is how to achieve a sudden scramble flocking fish into burst as the dolphin penetrates to the colony and form into a fish school again.

see a youtube good sample of fish school burst: check the ff. timeline on
sharks attack: 1:47, 2:11, 2:25 and on
dolphins attack 3:19, 3:41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V834jlHc5ic

Hope you can share your ideas and talent on the animation.
thanks

:)

jameswillmott
09-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Use an Avoid Director with an enveloped weight to turn on when you need the flock to suddenly disburse, I'll post an example scene a little later.

jeric_synergy
09-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Disburse!? How much are they paying? >;^)

benedict_ilagan
09-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Use an Avoid Director with an enveloped weight to turn on when you need the flock to suddenly disburse, I'll post an example scene a little later.

yeap, sure i'd be looking forward to see your sample test using avoid director, kindly a screengrab your settings too. thanks

For me, at first i've tried the avoid & even the deflect director using weight but no good settings and came up with the flock weight itself in conjunction to arrive with high weight sets wc i think drove a good result.

jameswillmott
09-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Disperse. Argh!!! Thanks...

Here's an example setup, the fish max speed is enveloped so they cruise slowly until the predator gets in range, then the speed is ramped up and they retreat away from the Avoid director attached to the predator. Once clear, their speed is enveloped back down and they resume cruising...

benedict_ilagan
09-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Disperse. Argh!!! Thanks...

Here's an example setup, the fish max speed is enveloped so they cruise slowly until the predator gets in range, then the speed is ramped up and they retreat away from the Avoid director attached to the predator. Once clear, their speed is enveloped back down and they resume cruising...

great settings looking good,
can u share and post your sample scene file.

i'd like to test something base to your sample. :)

tyrot
07-24-2014, 03:21 AM
i know it is abit late request but .... is there a way to examine this scene?