PDA

View Full Version : DPKit: Part Info/wPos: what is the definition of Pos?

jeric_synergy
09-25-2013, 08:40 PM
So, following a tutorial, and wondered:

When using DPKit Part Info node, what is the definition of wPos? Before any deformation, is it the same as the Object that the Part is part of? Or something else?

dpont
09-25-2013, 11:46 PM
So, following a tutorial, and wondered:

When using DPKit Part Info node, what is the definition of wPos? Before any deformation, is it the same as the Object that the Part is part of?...

Yes, in Part Info,
transformation of the object only,
this is the position of the center of the part,
including optional offset of the part pivot,
moved/rotated/scaled like the object,
so like for a mesh object, the center is not affected
by any kind of mesh deformation or displacement.

In Part Move, this includes the "move' transformation
of the part itself done is the node.

Denis.

jeric_synergy
09-26-2013, 09:10 AM
So Denis, to sum up, the Pos of any Part is identical to the Object to which it belongs, correct?*

*(I have to restate these things so I can be sure that my weak brain understands. :( )

BTW, thank you for including all the various options (First Vertex, Last Vertex, Up, Down, etc) in PartMove. That flexibility is incredible.

tbagger
09-26-2013, 10:08 AM
So Denis, to sum up, the Pos of any Part is identical to the Object to which it belongs, correct?*

*(I have to restate these things so I can be sure that my weak brain understands. :( )

BTW, thank you for including all the various options (First Vertex, Last Vertex, Up, Down, etc) in PartMove. That flexibility is incredible.

Yes, Many thanks Denis for all those pivots.

To try and answer your question Jeric... Part move is only moving a part from its current location the amount of the vector that is input to the move. So, say you had an object in modeler that had 20 boxes scattered all over the place. If you then wanted to move them all to the position of a null in layout putting the nulls position into the move will not do the trick because that is only moving those parts from their current location the amount of the vector that is input. For example... if the null was at 1/0/1 it would move all parts 1/0/1 from their current location. It would not move them all to the position of the null. What the wpos on part info is giving you is the wpos of the part as it came in from modeler. Now that we know that, it can be subtracted from the position of the null to get all parts to move to the nulls exact position.

dpont
09-26-2013, 10:28 AM
...the Pos of any Part is identical to the Object to which it belongs...

the wPos of any Part is transformed like the Object to which it belongs,
if original oPos of the part is the same than the object oPos,
i.e, all parts centered at the origin in Modeler,
the wPos of each Part is identical to the Object wPos,

If Parts are distributed in space, like in a fractured object,
original oPos of the part is different from the object oPos,
in this case after the same transformation
the wPos of each Part is not identical to the Object wPos.

Denis

jeric_synergy
09-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Guys, many thanks for your responses-- I find nodes quite challenging. Hopefully others benefit from this discussion too (iow, I hope I'm not the only one this thick...). To continue:

So the Pivot Point of each individual Part is as defined in PartMove's drop down: it can be the Part's First/Last vertex, the (bound box?) Center, no wait, there's an explicit BBox Center... Up Point, etc.

And if a Part is moved from its original location, like via PartMove or similar, the Part's oPos no longer coincides with its Object's oPos.

My basic confusion here is the evaluation of the Part's Pivot Point as separate from its Object's Pivot Point.