PDA

View Full Version : How to model custom soccer ball.

monovich
09-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Howdy. Modeling question. I want to model a ball like a soccer ball. Each polygon on the ball is a pentagon. 12 pentagons total. Pretty simple, but of course tough for me. Is there a way to model this with parametric object? Is there another way?

Possible for it to create a UV for each panel?

richhelvey
09-25-2013, 01:34 PM
You're looking for the Platonic Solid button. Choose dodecahedron.
Then use Polygon Normal UVs as a starting point for UV generation.

monovich
09-25-2013, 01:41 PM
You're looking for the Platonic Solid button. Choose dodecahedron.
Then use Polygon Normal UVs as a starting point for UV generation.

Excellent. Thanks for your help! I stumbled uplon the Platonic Solid but was way lost on UVs. This will get me there much quicker. Cheers!

JoePoe
09-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Glad you're on your way.

However, before you put too much time in....
Yes, I know there are several variations in soccer ball geometry these days, BUT.....are you sure it's to be all pentagons?
Is it not more common to have a combination of pentagons and hexagons?

There was a thread not too long ago......

Found it (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?137587-uv-mapping-for-soccer-balls&highlight=soccerball). It is, however pretty specific to an "unusual" UV layout.
There are several soccer ball threads though if interested.

Sensei
09-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Do you saw mine video tutorial?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoltKZS5cGA

monovich
09-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Yes I'm sure about the shape I want to model.

Question about UV techniques. The Poly Normal UV function is excellent for a single polygon, but is there a similar function for a group of polygons? For instance if a panel of the ball has been subpatched is it possible to do a Poly Normal UV function on the entire group of polygons with I guess the average normal?

EDIT. Got it. Selecting just the polygons I want then hiding the rest and using AFB does what I want. Rockin!

I hadn't seen your tut Sensei but I watched it now. Thanks for linking.