PDA

View Full Version : Import limits!

jaxtone
09-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi! I wonder if there are any known limits when importing 3D-models that have been produced with other 3D-programs, such as polygons, points, vertices, materials or textures?

I just purchased some large models of NY from www.cadbrowser.com but when trying to import them nothing and totally nothing at all appears on screen!

I gotta know the what I can expect from LW when it comes to handle large to medium content!

Jack

nickdigital
09-24-2013, 02:42 PM
The website you're pointing to doesn't exist.

You say the models are large...do you mean in scale? Maybe you need to zoom out or adjust your clipping range to properly see them.

stiff paper
09-24-2013, 03:03 PM
The individual sections definitely should work. Less than a million polys. 200 Mb of textures. (I was loading more than that in LW 5.9 thirteen years ago.)

Try turning all your viewports to Bounding Box before you load it, if you have any of them set to textured it could potentially slow things down quite a lot.

jaxtone
09-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Sorry Nick... my bad!

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/download.aspx?3dmodel=40454

The website you're pointing to doesn't exist.

You say the models are large...do you mean in scale? Maybe you need to zoom out or adjust your clipping range to properly see them.

lertola2
09-28-2013, 09:00 AM
I have used this model or one similar. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to work with in modeler because of the high poly count. I usually bring it into zbrush and crop out the pieces I need.

Greenlaw
09-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Are you working in 32 bit LightWave? You might be hitting the memory ceiling because 32 bit has a fixed limit. If the model is really huge, even in 64 bit LightWave (or any 3D app,) you'll been to be sure you have enough RAM to accommodate it.

G.

lertola2
09-28-2013, 04:37 PM
This model is nearly 4 million polygons. I think you can forget about doing anything with it in modeler. Not because of any limits. Just because modeler is such a slow poke with large files. You should be able to load it into layout though.

Greenlaw
09-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Yikes! I'm assuming this is all one object then? If it's in layers, you might try loading it into Layout and breaking it out as individual object files to make it more 'Modeler-friendly'. If it's not in layers, you may need to load it into another modeling program to break it up.

Hmm...that makes me wonder if there's a Modeler plug-in out there that will load individual layers from an object file.

G.

jaxtone
09-29-2013, 02:16 AM
Itīs a one layer model and as some of you say Lightwave modeler is a joke when talking of handling large models.

I am able to open it in Layout but only without textures and to be honest, this model hasnīt got an alibi to exist without texture maps on it! But hereīs what the support says:

(Looks like your machine simply not powerful enough to handle entire scene with textures. Import it without textures, cut needed piece and reopen with textures enabled. Also you can try another file formats which LW can import.)

My answer:
I get what you say but if you mean that 16 GB of RAM isnīt enough please advice what your recommendations are when talking of software and computer capabilities! Hereīs my machine and if that isnīt not following your standars for customers I guess a lot of people will be disqualified for purchasing!

"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU 3.60 GHz
Installed memory RAM: 16 GB
Windows 7 64 bit solution
Nvidia GeForce GTX 770"

(We are not sure that this is RAM issue. Probably video memory issue. Are you able to open model in LW without textures? Can you send us a screen shot of your problem? Thank you.)

Amurrell
10-04-2013, 04:42 AM
You could download the FBX and them import to modeller where each object will be split into separate layers (I think you are prompted for this). At least this is what I did with the Hubble telescope I was working on from NASA's site. There I just downloaded the max file and exported it back out in FBX and brought it into LW. It was a pain in some cases dealing with 2500+ layers, but it worked.

jwiede
10-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I get what you say but if you mean that 16 GB of RAM isnīt enough please advice what your recommendations are when talking of software and computer capabilities! Hereīs my machine and if that isnīt not following your standars for customers I guess a lot of people will be disqualified for purchasing!

"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU 3.60 GHz
Installed memory RAM: 16 GB
Windows 7 64 bit solution
Nvidia GeForce GTX 770

Most customers aren't trying to open a 4+ million polygon object whose textures are equally huge and detailed. I suspect they're onto something w.r.t. running out of video memory, between the geometry lists and the massive texture(s) that's enough to exceed capacity of most "gamer-class" cards' VRAM. Was Layout able to load it with viewport display mode of smooth-shading (or other non-textured mode)? I'd worry about the textures for rendering (perhaps consider DB&W's Infinimap if they won't even load for render due to size), but not in viewport. Is it really essential you be able to see them in the viewport presuming you can see them in VPR and/or final render?

While you're not likely running into hard-coded LW "limits", IME you're still pretty close to (possibly past) the edge of geometry and texture scale where LW Layout cannot productively manipulate the data set -- even 16GB of memory might not be enough depending on render settings. Is Layout the only application running on your system when loading the object? Are any other "major RAM consumer" apps also running (such as image manipulation apps, ala PS or equivalent)?

Can you tell us the sizes of all the textures associated with that 4M+ polygon object? What are the image dimensions, and what format are they provided in?

stiff paper
10-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Their site says that this model has 496 texture maps. So, yeah. As jwiede asks, how much room are they taking up on your hard drive?

Also, their site says that they use at least some 4K maps. So if there are plenty of those, you have to start working out how much memory they'd all use when completely uncompressed in ram. If they're jpegs or some other compressed format then they're going to expand quite a lot.

And yet more also: yeeaah... 496 maps. Not sure what will happen when you try to view that in the camera view with textures.