gumshoe
11-13-2003, 10:05 PM
<rant>

It must just be me, but the detail out method described in
both Inside LW 6 and LW 7 seems impossible! Has anyone
successfuly completed this tutorial? The only head tutorial
I have ever completed and it worked was the simply lightwave
tutorial. I would love to learn the detail out method as it appears
to be more realistic. However, the frustration is mounting........

</rant>

SamuraiSlayer
11-13-2003, 11:45 PM
<reply>

no tutorials ever work for me, I just get reference picture, make points, and connect the dots...

</reply> haha

hrgiger
11-14-2003, 12:03 AM
I finished the tutorial, many others have as well. Exactly what part are you having a problem with?
By the way, while I prefer to work with the detail out method, I wouldn't say it gives you any more realistic results then any other method. I'm actually trying to learn box modeling because it seems like done well, a quicker way to work.

Weetos
11-14-2003, 10:48 AM
I hate to say this but I must admit that box modeling is the fastest way to get a good result, sometimes within only a few minutes, while the detail out method could take several hours.

On the other hand, detail out modeling gives optimized geometry than box modeling - as far as I'm concerned. Both methods can give realistic results.

I haven't completed this tutorial as I'm stuck on the first steps where you have to use the bend tool : I have a hard time using it, it never does what I'm expecting, which is very frustrating...

Regards,

mattclary
11-14-2003, 01:15 PM
Gumshoe, you probably have the same problem I do, lack of patience. You can make anything look good if you want to spend long enough doing it.

gumshoe
11-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the response. I am having trouble steping away from his
image and using my own. Of course the dimensions are different for
my own image, and I cant seem to get the eyelid bevel right. When
I do find a bevel I think will work I cant shape it correctly!

Later I will post some pics of what I am talking about, maybe you
guys could help.

Thanks

A.Russell
11-15-2003, 01:34 AM
I had trouble with that part of the tutorial too. What I did in the end was not worry about the bevel. After extruding out from the eye a few times, I selected points and positioned them around the eyeball in the top and side views. A little more time consuming, but I couldn't get the beveling and bending like in the tutorial to work for me.

gumshoe
11-18-2003, 12:13 PM
I really cant believe anyone has followed this tutorial and achieved
the desired results. After too many hours of frustration I am throwing
in the towel and looking for another method. Thanks for the help and if
you have another tutorial please point the way.

jsteen
11-18-2003, 06:27 PM
actually, I had no problems whatsoever to follow that tutorial when the book was released. Although, now I've moved on to box modelleing, But I'm sure I can help you with whatever questions you may have with that tut. Ask or PM me.

gumshoe
11-19-2003, 01:33 PM
Its the eyelid! Something so simple, you can draw it, you can take a piece
of clay and sculpt it; but heaven forbid you try and move a few points around
or bend the thing! Arghhhhh.......

I think the book outlines it simple enough, I just cant get it?