PDA

View Full Version : Smedge network render software: 2014 out, and new licensing policy

Spinland
09-21-2013, 05:32 PM
I use Smedge for my network rendering, mainly because it has a version for the Mac. It's basically a management software package for running LWSN with a nice GUI and lots of control options. If you haven't heard of it before here's the web site:

http://www.uberware.net/index.php

Version 2014 came out with a lot of enhancements plus a return to an old licensing scheme: you can run up to three render nodes (Engines) with no license needed. One of Smedge's downsides is it's kind of spendy at US$100 per node, but if you have a small farm (like I do) you can jump on this essentially for free. If you want four or more nodes he gets you, the price for four nodes is still US$400 and so on, but this is also a great way to decide at no risk whether you want to buy into it in a larger way.

It also supports numerous other 3D software titles (such as Maya). For LWSN I found it surprisingly easy to set up and use (as opposed to muddling through all the command line and network arcanery needed to run LWSN manually).

Again, for Mac users this seems like the best thing going out there.

uberware
12-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Smedge 2014 Update 1 was just released and adds a few features and fixes some issues. If there are any specific requests that Lightwave users may have, please let me know and I can add it to the list for Smedge 2015. And if you have any problem, please let me know so I can fix it or find a workaround.

Also, for those of you with budget concerns, Smedge is available as a rental, and we are working on a system for hourly usage based billing, so you really only pay for what you use. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks
-robin

Spinland
12-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the update, Robin! New version is working a treat here.