PDA

View Full Version : LW 8 Specs

jasonwestmas
11-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Any new news about the Specs on LW8. Ya think it's gonna improve the macintosh workflow? This probably has been discussed before, I'm not exactly a regular at this forum but I appreciate the responses I've had. I know some things about Max and Maya, they're nice people but the LW upgrade is a lot more attractive at the moment since I don't own any other software other than Lightwave and Animation Bastard that I bought way back in 2000. . .

Beamtracer
11-13-2003, 11:49 PM
As far as I know, Lightwave still has the most plug-ins for the Mac.

Maybe it's better to just wait until LW8 comes out. It should arrive in the next month or so, so it's not very long to wait.

I'm sure some other people in this forum will buy LW8 on day one, so I'll wait and see what they say about it first, then I'll make a decision on what I'll purchase.

jasonwestmas
11-14-2003, 12:43 PM
So Beam,

What improvements or new plugins are you wainting on in Lightwave other than a bug free version? What do you like to use LW for? Everything? Animation, Modeling, The beautiful renderer, illustration. . .?

Thanks for the response

Beamtracer
11-14-2003, 05:00 PM
I'd like to see workflow improvements before extra features, but I don't know if I'll be in luck.

I want more of a connection between compositing packages, especially Adobe After Effects, which is the most popular one. Lightwave doesn't integrate all that well with AE and needs to be improved (AE motion file support, 16bpc image formats). The current DXF+ hype (Windows compositing package) is detrimental to Mac sales and does nothing to assist the professional compositor.

So, I've got no idea how good or not good Lightwave 8 will be. Some people have put their orders in without seeing it. I'm going to wait 'till it's out and learn what it's got before making a purchase, but if it's good I'll buy it.

Johnny
11-14-2003, 08:15 PM
what about the bugs situation? I've only had a taste of LW bugs..others here who are more experienced with the app and therefore know more of the tools which are buggy have talked about them..

Any word on whether bugs and stability will accompany new features and toys?

J

Beamtracer
11-14-2003, 09:33 PM
I'm using LW7.5b for modeling and animation (on an Apple G5, OSX 10.2.7) and believe it or not I find it very stable. I'm using it every day and it hasn't crashed on me yet.

If you want to use the Panther OS (just released) I think you're going to have to upgrade to Lightwave 8. I think that was hinted at by Chuck. I guess everyone wants the benefits of it but nobody wants to pay for it!

I'm also disappointed by the departure of the former Lightwave development team to form that "other" company. Sure, the new LW team is very capable, but a fork in the road is very confusing.

As for Lightwave 8 specs, if you look in the community section of this forum there is some chatter about it, but it's mostly only idle speculation, or people whinging about it before it's even released!

Really... it's out sometime within the next month, and I don't think you can get an accurate feature list until the final product ships. Maybe you should start saving your pennies now!

Darth Mole
11-15-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
I want more of a connection between compositing packages, especially Adobe After Effects, which is the most popular one.

Amen to that...