PDA

View Full Version : Calling all video dudes!!!

liquidpope
11-13-2003, 07:09 PM
Dudes...

I'm using DPS Hollywood to capture, edit and output video and/or LW generated image sequences. Capturing with SVHS cables at 5MB per second, if that's important.

My problem is playback. On my VCR's hooked up to everything else, the playback is great. (as great as video ever is...)
On any other VCR, looks like the tracking is way off. On higher end VCR's, the tracking will improve in a matter of (several) seconds, and all is (eventually) well. But on most VCR's, playback never improves. I can't send out tapes that I don't know might work or not, so I never send any, thus I'm quite hungry. No work equals no money.

So does anybody have any sugestions at all?

Thanks in advance, dudes.

Jimbo, the hungry hungry hippo.

sriffle
11-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Is your VCR set to SP recording mode rather than EP?

liquidpope
11-14-2003, 04:30 PM
I tried both SP and EP modes, both yielded similar results.

hunter
11-15-2003, 11:28 AM
it could be your vcr's heads are not aligned properly. It plays back on it beacause the it's the same machine but it's out of step with the rest of world.

liquidpope
11-15-2003, 01:20 PM
I originally thought it was a head alignment problem too.
I adjusted the heads on my first VCR, but it never helped.
I then bought a second VCR, and it's doing exactly the same thing. Both are mid-range JVC Ultra Spec Drive.
I don't think it's a VCR problem, I think there's a setting or mode somewhere in the software that I missed. But who knows?

Thanks anyway...

Anybody else?

CMP 2003
11-17-2003, 10:10 AM
It may be one of the two:

1) Your video card, or whatever you use to export the vid from your cpu to your vcr.

2) Or it very well may be your software, unless you have used it before to do the same thing. I have used countless video editors and some programs do not export video well or at all.

cresshead
11-17-2003, 10:21 AM
could be several things..

the field order of your video maybe set incorrectly
you may be broardcasting illeagle video as in the signal may go over the colour gamut of the video recorder

have you tried your souce material out of another pc to a vhs tape?

also try some digitased footage from a commercial dvd film or tape and then try n put that back onto tape from your pc setup..
if that works fine you know that your particular cgi footage is to blame and not the machine

...you have to think like a detective/scientist and rule out possible causes and the one that's left is the problem!

steve g

glassefx
11-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Pope,

Have you tried outting it with composite cables?

IF SO? SAME PROBLEM?

Are you positive it is a tracking related issue?

I can only think of a couple of things that could be causing this problem... Field Order, Gamma, or something a bit more esoteric in nature.

I have a dps PERCEPTION and Ive always had pretty easy transfers (gamma takes a bit)...and I say this because I know the hollywood is a "higer-end" card.. which leads me to ask if there is some kinda "gender" or "sync" cable that needs to be used.

It's probalby something stupid your overlooking in the hollywood's software.

Heck the only thing really I said of any importance to you would be trying composite outs...

good luck and peace.

liquidpope
11-18-2003, 06:23 AM
Hey, thanks for posting, everybody.

I've tried everything that's been suggested here over the past two weeks. None of it has helped.
Playback on the VCRs in my room look perfect, whether the output was captured from VHS, DVD, my camcorder or LW generated stuff. It all looks great here, at my desk, just nowhere else. This is really cheesing me off!
I'm back to blaming the VCRs though, 'cause now my new one is giving me problems with the color.
Maybe I need to shield my cables, and everything else. It's all jumbled together - monitor, tv, stereo, recording equip., 2 vhs vcrs, 1 8mm vcr, dvd player... all on one big *** desk. Maybe that's a problem?

jat1
11-18-2003, 11:17 AM
New vcrs have something called auto tracking which means when it cant track it changes to compansate... old vcrs have manual tracking where u must to do it by pressing a plus and a minus button, thats all i know when it comes to VCR's, now if i just could set the digital time.... :D

Hope thats helps