PDA

View Full Version : arrays in layout

chilledaqua
11-13-2003, 06:40 PM
I've always wondered if it was possible to do arrays in layout. A while ago i did a scene with a whole bunch of tents and trees. The arrays were created in modeler. However when it comes time to texture, the only real way (for instance with trees), you need to create a UV map, because moving around the tree will defintily show the object moving without the texture being bound to it. I had to use the clone tool for the trees because i didnt really realize about using a UV map for it at the time. maybe lightwave 8 will have arrays?

Matt
11-14-2003, 01:53 AM
I use a third party plugin called FamilyCloneGN by faulknermano (it's free too! yay!) :)

chilledaqua
11-19-2003, 09:05 PM
thanks matt i will try that! that's kind of odd that lightwave doesnt support that natively

evenflcw
11-19-2003, 09:58 PM
You could place some points in a layer where you want the trees to be and then apply FX_Emitter (Add Custom Object) to that layer. Set birthrate to the number of points in the layer, Generate by Frame so they all appear at frame 0 and Nozzle to object vertices. Next use FX_Linker to replace particles with trees and it will place a tree at every point in the layer.

The only bad part compared to cloning stuff in Modeler is that they will all go in as a separate object/layer and thus do a good job filling up your list of objects. Hopefully we'll get a choice to group objects under a common name or real instancing soon.

Matt
11-20-2003, 07:25 AM
no, no, no, sorry, think about the workflow dude!!!

bottom line - LightWave "Layout" needs to start living up to its name.

we need proper layout tools with (fast) interactive previews for things like arrays / cloning and other features like instancing / aligning / snapping are way overdue in my humble opinion!

the working speed with complex scenes needs a big kick up the ***** too!

chilledaqua
11-20-2003, 11:15 AM
I hope lightwave 8 addresses some of those issues. I'm looking forward to it coming out. thats the reason i even bought 7.5 right now so i could get the free 8 upgrade