PDA

View Full Version : Video formats supported

Animapper
09-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Hi Folks,

I have been looking for a resource to find out what kind of files are supported for video mapping to a surface plane in LW. Any ideas?

Thanks,

nickdigital
09-17-2013, 04:38 PM
The codec list is pretty limited. Most people convert the video to an image sequence.

Animapper
09-18-2013, 05:15 AM
Thanks - I ended up using WMV which works great. It would be good for them to start supporting MP4 and .H264 for space reasons alone.

Animapper
09-18-2013, 05:52 AM
btw, the videos that had to play on this rotating cube were given to me in a finished format that was compressed to .H264 MP4. I had no access to the stills. This should be addressed by the lightwave group. It's only going to happen more often now.

Ciao,

BeeVee
09-18-2013, 04:13 PM
The codecs are only limited to what you have installed, and the fact that Quicktime is not available under 64-bit Windows. There are limitations with some codecs - for instance XVid requires that dimensions be divisible by 8 both ways (for good reason really). I use XViD and Lagarith mostly.

B

prometheus
09-19-2013, 07:05 AM
you can use mp4 formats in 32 bit lightwave system.(as mentioned..depends if you got codecs installed properly)
Install and use 32 bit system of lightwave, since the quicktime support is not availble from apple on 64 ...still.
so once you use the 32 bit system of lightwave, download a youtube sample in mp4 format, but rename it to mov format, lighwave will not recognize mp4 but mov format..and it should mostly be able to
play that anyway, so you shouldn´t even need to convert it.

otherwise if you have conversion tools, convert to mov format or png image sequences I would say.
Another reason to prefer 32 bit system, that is dealing with export of preview animations in mov format rather than the avi formats and codecs, the quicktime/animation setting give better output.
But that is for previewing generally, for final stuff..go with final rendering to tga or other image sequence formats and compose in after effects for example.

Edited...ps...I would not use wmv, think it has to lowsy compression with artifacts etc.

Michael

Animapper
09-19-2013, 07:11 AM
I hear ya Ben. Divisible by 8 has always been the best choice for efficiency in decoding. I was fortunate to work with the Cleaner team in the 90's when all this was getting sorted out. Perhaps we could put together a list of all the codecs that do work in Lightwave and post it here.

Ciao,