PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the save preset button for Volumetric lights?

prospector
09-16-2013, 02:25 PM
I can't find it in the light properties panel, the volumetric panel for lights, tried left and right clicking on the VPR screen, left and right clicking in the Viper screen (where it use to be), clicked on add preset button in viper figuring it would be an option there but that button does nothing (not even to open preset window to choose another (which it use to do), opened the 3D Vision Pro window in VPR and tried to left/right click there and nothing. I just can't find it anywhere.
Tried to just save current light under File button but that wants to save as scene file only.
So
How do I now save a volumetric light to preset??

TalleyJC
09-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Recent versions of LW has Viper display instantly like VPR, but you have to remember that Viper in the past required at least 1 F9 render to work. So, just open your preset shelf to where you want to save your preset, do an f9 then open viper... press the save preset button and you'll see it show up on the shelf as unnamed

prospector
09-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Don't have one.
Checked every dropdown, right and left clicked everywhere.
Just don't see a save button anywhere

UnCommonGrafx
09-17-2013, 03:48 AM
No button, just the press of an 's', me thinks.

At some point, it seems they took all those buttons away. The camera was supposed to have one, too, but even the 's' doesn't work for it.

3DGFXStudios
09-17-2013, 04:24 AM
WOW!!! What happened to your windows? :O

prospector
09-17-2013, 06:47 AM
just 's' wants to save a scenefile again

"WOW!!! What happened to your windows? :O "

Windows 8...replaced with windows blinds

Every way to save just wants to do as scenefile...and add preset button doesn't even load a preset in Viper any more.

Somebody making volumetric lights and saving them must know a way.

prometheus
09-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Don't have one.
Checked every dropdown, right and left clicked everywhere.
Just don't see a save button anywhere

I think you think wrong:
you are looking for a save button, check your viper again and use the add preset to "save the preset"

Wonky Ui window modules you got there:) fun but I would find it too distracting:)

prometheus
09-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Every way to save just wants to do as scenefile...and add preset button doesn't even load a preset in Viper any more.

Somebody making volumetric lights and saving them must know a way.

add preset button in the viper window isnīt intended for loading a new preset, as I mentioned above, add preset is saving your volumetric light to the preset library.

Michael

prospector
09-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Did all that, hit every button, clicked on interface, double, triple, quadruple clicked on everything...nothing will save.

But a strange thing is happening.

Checked desktop (now that it's done rendering) and all is fine there. double click viper screen and it makes a new folder in presets called 'User' and puts the saved one there.
On laptop...no workee
Same ver of LW... 2708 build on both

Hmmmmm, maby a reinstall is in order.
That may even fix all these menus that have words running into input panels, non expandable screens in LW, overlapping menus and such...
will try that

"Wonky Ui window modules you got there fun but I would find it too distracting"

Wonky? WONKY??? it's NOT windows 8 so it's perfect !! :D:D:D

prometheus
09-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Did all that, hit every button, clicked on interface, double, triple, quadruple clicked on everything...nothing will save.

But a strange thing is happening.

Checked desktop and all is fine there. double click viper screen and it makes a new folder in presets called 'User' and puts the saved one there.
On laptop...no workee
Same ver of LW... 2708 build on both

Hmmmmm, maby a reinstall is in order.
That may even fix all these menus that have words running into input panels, non expandable screens in LW, overlapping menus and such...
will try that

Yeah, presets are configured this way nowadays, it creates your own user preset library to avoid any conflict with built in ones, If I have the default volumetric light library open, and in viper click add preset, it will jump to my user specified
library.
But as you noticed..you must already have figured it out since you said it saved it ..but in another directory, so there shouldnīt be any problem?
that newly created user library ..just name it as you want and try to save the light presets there.
Im not sure how to override the other ones, think you might need to configure pathīs options for presets, it is probably empty.

Michael

prometheus
09-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Edit...ahh..I missed you are working with desktop and laptop?
am I wrong guessing you have a mac laptop and system, in such case you are begging for trouble me thinks.

prospector
09-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Nope, not a Mac
And what you said is exactly what IS happening on desktop (jumping to new folder after double clicking on Viper window)
But not on laptop..

THO I can see the name 'Built in workspace' blanking out on laptop for a sec as if it is TRYING to make a new folder and go to it, but in the end it just stays there and doesn't make a new folder..or preset there...I even checked in windows explorer to see if a folder was made someplace called user and nothing.

prometheus
09-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Nope, not a Mac
And what you said is exactly what IS happening on desktop (jumping to new folder after double clicking on Viper window)
But not on laptop..

THO I can see the name 'Built in workspace' blanking out on laptop for a sec as if it is TRYING to make a new folder and go to it, but in the end it just stays there and doesn't make a new folder..or preset there...I even checked in windows explorer to see if a folder was made someplace called user and nothing.

works on my laptop, but I think it might be a sort of administration rights thingy, always run Lightwave with adminrights etc, check your folders and give them special rights perhaps, might depend on where you have installed lightwave too?
does the laptop and desktop have the same type of installation path?
I recall I had some issues with the presets not being saved long time ago, but that was on my desktop and I sorted it out, but canīt recall exactly how.

The preset path for my user library for volumetric lights looks like this...
C:\Users\michael\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6\presets\VL ight Editor\VLight Preset\WorkSpace

And it is a completly different path from the built in ones which is located in newtek program folder.

If I check my preferences ..the path tab has autodetect checked, and use custom paths, and the preset path button is actually blank, havenīt really configured the paths for lw. 11.6

jwiede
09-17-2013, 12:25 PM

Agree with Prometheus, this sounds like for whatever reason, LW is trying to create a folder somewhere but cannot. Perhaps try to find out where it's trying to create one, and make sure it has adequate permissions there to do so.

Slartibartfast
09-20-2013, 09:01 AM
If I check my preferences ..the path tab has autodetect checked, and use custom paths, and the preset path button is actually blank, havenīt really configured the paths for lw. 11.6
Yes, I had to fill in this blank (in LW11.6) to be able to save any presets at all.